Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Portable Solar Panel Recommendations
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

I am finishing up an aux battery installation with a 100Ah LiFePO4. I installed a 100|20 MPPT and SAE solar input in place of my city water hookup. Next step is finding a nice portable solar panel solution.

My Samba searches turned up a lot of roof mounted options, but not much in the way of portable. A lot of these threads were also pretty dated so I am hoping to get some current recommendations.

Some criteria:

1) 100-200W monocrystalline panel
2) Freestanding panel so I can move it when needed at camp
3) Folding design that doesn't take up a lot of space in the van

A few options I am considering:

Rockpals 100W Portable 02 (17" x 15" folded - $230) - https://www.rockpals.com/products/rockpower-100watt-solar-panel

Goal Zero Nomad 100 (20.5" x 15" folded - $399) - https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portable-solar-panels/nomad-100-solar-panel/

Goal Zero Nomad 200 (28" x 22" folded - $599) - https://www.goalzero.com/shop/solar-panels/nomad-200-solar-panel/

Zamp Obsidian Series 100 Portable (45" x 22" - $499) - https://store.zampsolar.com/products/obsidian-series-100-watt-portable-kit-unregulated

Obviously these are getting pricey, but I would rather pay for quality that will last (if that's what I am actually getting!). I am not interested in no-name panels from Amazon. The Zamp option is getting large, but the bed width is 46" so that would fit pretty nicely. I have also read that the Goal Zero products are lacking in actual output.

Any experience with these or other recommendations? Thanks!
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

Well obviously Zamp is the right choice for a Vanagon:

Link

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

I would get a cheap one. Not much difference. In a few years buy better. This one was posted and fits well. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735629
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

Second that. Watts is watts. I have a Renogy suitcase that works fine.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I would get a cheap one. Not much difference. In a few years buy better. This one was posted and fits well. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735629

They don't offer a 100W "E.Flex" panel anymore.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

I purchased the Renogy 100W Suitcase (with controller) a couple of years back and continue to be pleased with its performance. Linked here: https://www.amazon.com/RENOGY-Foldable-Suitcase-Without-Controller/dp/B079JVBVL3?th=1

Painless to hook up and well constructed + fits well in the Westy - either flat in the rear on the engine cover (mattress) or on its edge in the same spot.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

I have the rockpals folding unit yur linked to. Works great. No stand but, it does have a lot of different connectors, USB output etc. included.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

They don't offer a 100W "E.Flex" panel anymore.

If you are interested in utilizing that space next to the closet some 100watt flexible panels may fit in there. It also may be possible to fold the rockpanel you posted in half instead of quad folding. The rockpanel may be thin enough folding in half based on the dimensions I see to fit in there.
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

lensun solar

https://www.lensunsolar.com/Products/Solar-blanket

Im in Maryland, for the price, the quality is unmatched.
I install Lensun on Vans, and boats.

Jim???

Mike Hanyi
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
I purchased the Renogy 100W Suitcase (with controller) a couple of years back and continue to be pleased with its performance. Linked here: https://www.amazon.com/RENOGY-Foldable-Suitcase-Without-Controller/dp/B079JVBVL3?th=1

Painless to hook up and well constructed + fits well in the Westy - either flat in the rear on the engine cover (mattress) or on its edge in the same spot.

Why does that link say "without controller"? A controller is essential, is it not?
And the page on Amazon says it has a "20A Charger Controller."
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:

Why does that link say "without controller"? A controller is essential, is it not?
And the page on Amazon says it has a "20A Charger Controller."

Renogy gives you the option of buying it with or without the controller. The options are right there on the Amazon page.

Reason to buy the controller separately: To mount it where you want it inside the van.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

Hmmm....my bad - the link takes you to the unit with some options. Sad They offer it in a few variations with and without a controller. I purchased the 100W with the built in 20A controller as I was looking for a relatively turn-key solution which this is/was.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to think about whether I want to hardwire the controller inside the van- a bit more involved an installation.
Pros/cons?
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
Thanks for the info.
I'll have to think about whether I want to hardwire the controller inside the van- a bit more involved an installation.
Pros/cons?

Everything I read years ago said that controllers are most efficient/effective if they are mounted as close to the battery as possible.

It does, however, require more work to install.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the compact nature of the "solar blankets" - Lensun, Rockpals, etc.

puchfinnland wrote:
lensun solar

https://www.lensunsolar.com/Products/Solar-blanket

Im in Maryland, for the price, the quality is unmatched.
I install Lensun on Vans, and boats.

eeebee wrote:
I have the rockpals folding unit yur linked to. Works great. No stand but, it does have a lot of different connectors, USB output etc. included.

Puchfinnland and Eeebee - how are you all using these panels? Do you just lay them out on the ground? Or try to prop them up somehow? I know being perpendicular to the sun angle has a big effect on output.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

I still have my Renogy folding 100W panel, but I am adding 2 of their compact design 100W non-folding units.

For a long time, many Westy folks wanted a panel that would fit in the "luggage compartement" at the front of the Westy pop-top. The Renogy 100W folding unit was the first that came along which would fit up there:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Recently, Crazyvanman found that with a bit of trimming on the corners, the Renogy 100W Compact Design panels would fit in the luggage rack, allowing 200W with the two panels stacked which you can see below in the pics he posted:

The bonus is that the Renogy 100W CD is also on sale:

https://www.renogy.com/100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-solar-panel-compact-design/

I think the price may even be better on Amazon. I am making a tripod device for these comapct panels to aim them at the sun with an adjustable unipod made from an extending broom handle.
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

the topic was solar blankets, lets stick to it!

someone wanted a solar blanket for 3 of his vehicles, with the blanket and controller separate he can use it on any vehicle
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

puchfinnland wrote:
someone wanted a solar blanket for 3 of his vehicles, with the blanket and controller separate he can use it on any vehicle

How are you using these panels? Do you just lay them out on the ground? Or try to prop them up somehow? I know being perpendicular to the sun angle has a big effect on output.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

Related: What recommendations from Sambanistas for ~30 ft solar extension cable?

I have on order one of the quality panels posted above, but it includes only (1) 15 foot cable.

I'd like to add a 30 foot cable for the system and am willing to build with my own connectors.
Preferably 10AWG & flexible enough to lay flat on the ground (to minimize tripping, obviously). Wink

Ideas...??? 🤔🤔🤔

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Portable Solar Panel Recommendations Reply with quote

Speaker wire - relatively cheap, as the insulation doesn't have to be 600V spec. For the larger sizes it's a lot cheaper and more flexible than marine wire, which is the next in line.

10 awg is fine, but you can usually afford to lose a volt or two down the wire with PVs, especially if using PWM rather than MPPT controllers. So 12 awg speaker wire is quite OK.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: