Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time to replace my starter...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

Putting a TDI starter on my engine has probably been the best thing I've done to my van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

Its time for a new starter for me as well. I will be picking up the hi-torque adapter and OEM adapter plug from the below:

http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html

Can anyone post or advise on a part number for the geniune bosch 2kw starter so i know i am picking up the correct starter? I saw the below posted but it has about 12 part numbers attached to it in the description. Is this the correct starter? Do i missing anything for this 'procedure' ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T689UQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

Unless you need it to start a TDI or other diesel, the 1.4 kw SR0425N from rockauto.com is my recommendation. That's a new starter, not rebuilt. The TDI starter is SR0408X, reman, 1.8 kw.

That's a great price on a new [Chinese] starter, but you get what you pay for usually. Some are great. I'm running the one from California Alternator and Starter, it's been great for 4 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

I went to install the new starter today and was having some issues with the fit... SR0408X is the starter I have purchased (have not yet filed the starter, having issues with the bottom mounting bolt) - is this compatible with my ‘91 tin top 2WD or will I need the SR0425N? Are both technically TDI higher torque? Thanks for any help on parts numbers!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

floodwood wrote:
I went to install the new starter today and was having some issues with the fit... SR0408X is the starter I have purchased (have not yet filed the starter, having issues with the bottom mounting bolt) - is this compatible with my ‘91 tin top 2WD or will I need the SR0425N? Are both technically TDI higher torque? Thanks for any help on parts numbers!

What adapter are you using?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

floodwood wrote:

Both starters fit the same way. 0408=TDI, 0425=1.8T.
What issue exactly are you having with the bottom bolt? Did you remove the stud as mentioned in the directions and use the flat-head bolt supplied?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

Thanks. In terms of the bottom bolt, the existing stud was too short/ not removable, and the replacement on the kit was also too short. Wasn’t sure how was best to proceed once I got to that point... Am I missing something in terms of that bottom bolt?

My biggest concern is that the SR0408X that I have purchased actually fits as I cannot return that once I machine the starter to fit the bolt as indicated in the instructions. I noticed that my old starter had a tooth count of 9 and the SR0408X has a tooth Count of 10; additionally I had noted that the original starter has a “stud” that comes beyond the teeth, whereas the new SR0408X has no such stud beyond it’s teeth.

Again thanks for the assistance in the specifics on this part!
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

floodwood wrote:
Thanks. In terms of the bottom bolt, the existing stud was too short/ not removable, and the replacement on the kit was also too short. Wasn’t sure how was best to proceed once I got to that point... Am I missing something in terms of that bottom bolt?

My biggest concern is that the SR0408X that I have purchased actually fits as I cannot return that once I machine the starter to fit the bolt as indicated in the instructions. I noticed that my old starter had a tooth count of 9 and the SR0408X has a tooth Count of 10; additionally I had noted that the original starter has a “stud” that comes beyond the teeth, whereas the new SR0408X has no such stud beyond it’s teeth.

Again thanks for the assistance in the specifics on this part!

The bottom stud has to be removed. It is screwed into the bell housing. Use two M10-1.5 nuts tightened together to remove it. Optionally vice grips. Then the flat-head M10-1.5x25 bolt is used.
The adaptor center bore is offset to compensate for the 10 vs 9 tooth gear. The gear and shaft are self-supporting, that's why there is nothing extending beyond the gear.

Can you post some photos of this?
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

Surely - let me go grab some, which would be most useful? I have the existing stud from underneath, the (pre-milled) SR0408X setup, and my existing starter.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

Photo of existing bell housing and two views of the adaptor + hardware. I need to verify that my shipping guy sent all the correct pieces ...
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

thanks.

SR0408X

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Old Bellhousing

bottom mounting bolt:

old starter:

Let me know if you need additional pics: appreciate the support!
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

Everything looks as it should. Remove the stud from the bell housing, clean up the mating surface, bolt it on. If you wish to have less trim off the new starter, run the long bolt from the starter side and nut on the engine side.
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Everything looks as it should. Remove the stud from the bell housing, clean up the mating surface, bolt it on. If you wish to have less trim off the new starter, run the long bolt from the starter side and nut on the engine side.

Worked like a charm. Thank you for the additional pointers!
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Time to replace my starter... Reply with quote

I wanted to post a quick follow up to my starter install - I am looking to install the uniworks /Jay Brown hard start relay kit.

https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/product/vanagon-hard-start-relay-kit/

Will this kit be compatible with my SR0408X, as I had modified the wiring per the kit for the red wire adapter to starter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: