Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OIL temp sender location
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

I'm putting mine in the drain plug hole on my next build.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
CB2292 cam + straight cut gears
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

Man that’s a great idea....I can’t now as I already have the mag-x sump plate☹️
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Man that’s a great idea....I can’t now as I already have the mag-x sump plate☹️

Yeah my plans changed when I decided to add a 4qt sump.
I may use the Joe Bence plate... or poke a hole in the filter housing for the temp sender and pressure sender.
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

Good stuff in this thread Smile Curious, is there any difference in mounting the sender under the distributor, at the end of the oil galley which carries oil past the stock sender and using the stock sender location? They almost seem like one in the same.

I like the idea of using either the sump plate or on new, universal cases the type 3 dipstock location. On my CB Aluminum case I have the option to use any of these locations except under the distrubutor since my case isn't drilled and tapped at that location. On my TF1 case it has that location as well as many others drilled and tapped so perhaps under the distributor will be an option when I get around to building either a turbo 2276 or NA 2387 around that case in the future.

Right now on my dinky engines (big bore 40hp and WW Okrasa 36hp) I am limited to using the oil relief port, which seems to work okay.

67 Sunroof thanks for this thread and good luck and keep us posted on your build.

Ted
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
My cb slim sump has a blank on one end to actually drill into if needed

I doubt that you could find a worse place to put than this! There is NO oil circulation in the ends of an add on sump. I seriously doubt that the temperature there would reflect actual oil temperature at any time during engine operation. In fact if you drained a bit of oil from that location after a few thousand miles it would not surprise me to see it clean and new having never gone through the engine yet.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
In the filter housing also.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
ivkings4 wrote:

I just poked a hole in mine and made 1/8npt threads to do exactly the same thing.

5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

Turnswrenches wrote:
Glenn wrote:
ivkings4 wrote:

I just poked a hole in mine and made 1/8npt threads to do exactly the same thing.

Correct.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

Would the top of the oil filter be a better place than where I had first considered?

I’m not sure the thread size and pitch of the initial place I thought about.
What about the oil pressure sender?

I was going to drill and tap the top of my Canton filter to be able to screw in the oil temp sensor...sound good?

1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

These are also an easy option. They are meant for mechanical gauges, so you might need to strip and anodizing off, or run a separate ground wire for an electric sender. You just need to make sure the tip of the sending unit doesn't poke way down into the fitting and block the oil flow. These work best with pressure senders, and the temp sender in the filter base.

-8an gauge adapter. Summit has lots of different styles.

Brian
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:

Your title says fuel temp. Typo.

Yup filter housing for me
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

How about in that plug just to the right of the oil pump. I've read on here that this is an ideal spot. Of course you have to tap the hole & buy an1/2" to 1/8" reducer.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel temp sender location Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Turnswrenches wrote:
Glenn wrote:
ivkings4 wrote:

Correct.

Same here. Well, technically, the first oil pressure sensor (for the gauge) is in that spot, and the temperature sensor is on the top, right in front of the second pressure sensor (for the idiot light in the speedometer). This way, the temperature is measured before the filter, and the pressure is measured after the filter.

cptcrusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

Turnswrenches wrote:
I'm putting mine in the drain plug hole on my next build.

WHERE Do I FIND this!!!! I want one!!! it's PERFECT for what I'm looking for!!! I went to the CSP products web page and I'm not finding it.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

Use a dual-out/in filter mount, and slip a sender in each of the unused ports- easy peasy-

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: OIL temp sender location Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Use a dual-out/in filter mount, and slip a sender in each of the unused ports- easy peasy-

Agreed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: