Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Silicone Brake Fluid
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
urpu36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

Thoughts?? I have been using it for over 20 years, maybe 30 years. Three reasons, doesn't eat paint, doesn't eat paint, and it doesn't eat paint. My experience is 99% Hot Rods, Street Rods, Muscle Cars. With all the aftermarket stuff there are always leaks and I have seen so much paint damage cause by DOT3-4 fluid. Also cars that sit a lot get crusty and leak after a while with DOT3-4. Silicone can sit for years. A lot of work to convert over because the system has to be completely cleaned of the DOT3-4. The spongy pedal I have heard about over the years can be eliminated by putting pressure on the pedal and cracking the bleeders after a few days, weeks, months, years or anytime the car is on a rack. The pedal is soft because of micro bubbles in the fluid that take a long time to work their way out. The bubbles either go out the master or get caught in the caliper or wheel cylinders after driving. Good for road racing, don't know, don't care. I don't road race. There was high hopes for the fluid when first developed but didn't take over like was thought. Nice purple color.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

My only thoughts: it isn't hydrophilic, so it doesn't absorb moisture from the air -or from your brake system. Water will settle, if any gets in, and create small but deep rust holes.

Only really used it on collector cars which see few miles, and very little weather. No long-term experience with it in a daily driver.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

I put that stuff in my daily-driven bus 15 or more years ago. I just drained the old DOT-3/4 fluid out first, no special flushing. I think I also
replaced most of the metal brake lines at the same time. No problems at all. No soft pedal. Not a sign of rust/corrosion/water anywhere in the
brake system when I've had it open from time to time over the years (totally unlike any of the vehicles I've had using standard fluid).
I'm currently working on my second quart of DOT-5 fluid, so the high initial cost just doesn't signify.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

Many, many threads on this, such as this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578728
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

I use it in al my VWs and haven't had a problem, All my cars get completely new brake systems including stainless hard and soft lines. I like it because my cars sit for 6 months in the winter so no absorbing moisture is a big plus. I also race so having a very high boiling point is a good thing also. The fact that it doesn't destroy paint is a big bonus.

brad
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

It's long past time I should flush out my DOT5 that I put in about 7 years ago. My local climate rarely hits the dew point and so I get no condensation, but regardless, it's time. Still works great, though: hard pedal, no leaks, good feel.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

urpu36 wrote:
Thoughts?? I have been using it for over 20 years, maybe 30 years. Three reasons, doesn't eat paint, doesn't eat paint, and it doesn't eat paint. My experience is 99% Hot Rods, Street Rods, Muscle Cars. With all the aftermarket stuff there are always leaks and I have seen so much paint damage cause by DOT3-4 fluid. Also cars that sit a lot get crusty and leak after a while with DOT3-4. Silicone can sit for years. A lot of work to convert over because the system has to be completely cleaned of the DOT3-4. The spongy pedal I have heard about over the years can be eliminated by putting pressure on the pedal and cracking the bleeders after a few days, weeks, months, years or anytime the car is on a rack. The pedal is soft because of micro bubbles in the fluid that take a long time to work their way out. The bubbles either go out the master or get caught in the caliper or wheel cylinders after driving. Good for road racing, don't know, don't care. I don't road race. There was high hopes for the fluid when first developed but didn't take over like was thought. Nice purple color.
Anyone else have and semi or long term experience with using DOT 5 silicone brake fluid in their VW's they care to share, whether daily driven or infrequently used?

My cars do not get driven regularly and I would like to use DOT 5, mostly due to the fact it will not adsorb water.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

Haven't had a problem with it since I put it in 15 years ago. Daily driver for 10 years.

Probably due for a rebuild.

I've changed around the drums and shoes a few times but not touched the hydraulics.
As I said in the other thread I did need to add stronger return springs, tho....the details of that now I have forgotten.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

Do you have to replace the hard line of switching to DOT 5 or can you just flush it out with something else? And do you have to replace wheel cylinders and calipers?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Do you have to replace the hard line of switching to DOT 5 or can you just flush it out with something else? And do you have to replace wheel cylinders and calipers?

I don't know what you would "flush" with. Many people say alcohol, but the alcohol most people can buy is actually a mix of alcohol and water. Keeping water out is one of the main purposes of switching to DOT5 fluid. When I switched, I think I had just replaced most of the hard lines, but nothing else, and no flushing, just gravity draining. I would say you do not need to replace any lines as long as you can clear them of any standing pockets of old fluid. Probably blowing them out with compressed air would do the trick if would rather not dismantle the whole system.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

I replaced everything except the the hard lines, and blew those out.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

What about the issue I've been reading elsewhere that water pools at the lowest point of brake systems using DOT 5, causing corrosion in those areas, because, since DOT 5 is not hydroscopic, it doesn't mix w/the water, which "can lead to boiling in heavy braking" scenarios and a soft pedal..? Or that the pooling water can freeze in cold weather?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
What about the issue I've been reading elsewhere that water pools at the lowest point of brake systems using DOT 5 ...

If you have water entering your brake hydraulic system, you have a serious problem that trumps the question of which brake fluid to use.

I have bled my DOT5 system numerous times for various reasons, swapped out brake components, etc. over the last 20 years or so, never the slightest trace of water, corrosion, or fluid degradation. I do not believe that would be a likely situation if I were using the standard DOT3 or -4.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

are you storing it in a greenhouse?

Most classic cars live in warm dry garages, or in parts of the country with low humidity.

Or they will rust out in ten years probably.
But it could be a fun ten years so ok cool, and don't worry about the brake fluid either, flip a coin, nothing is forever.

Most people used dot5 because it doesn't eat paint.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Most classic cars live in warm dry garages, or in parts of the country with low humidity.

My classic car lives outside in dank ole Seattle, exposed to the leaden skies. My bus roof is bare metal [EDIT: means no liner on inside, not "unpainted"], and in certain conditions here
condensation will form in quantity on the inside, and it will actually be raining inside the cargo area as I drive along. Several times a year I have to scrub off the moss and algae that grow on the roof and down the sides near the engine compartment intake vents.
These are perfect conditions for standard brake fluid to absorb moisture, hence making the use of DOT5 a smart move.

Last edited by kreemoweet on Mon May 01, 2023 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

WOW, well there you go.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
My bus roof is bare metal

Get some paint on that roof man before there is nothing left of it!!! Shocked
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
modok wrote:

My classic car lives outside in dank ole Seattle, exposed to the leaden skies. My bus roof is bare metal [EDIT: means no liner on inside, not "unpainted"], and in certain conditions here
condensation will form in quantity on the inside, and it will actually be raining inside the cargo area as I drive along. Several times a year I have to scrub off the moss and algae that grow on the roof and down the sides near the engine compartment intake vents.
These are perfect conditions for standard brake fluid to absorb moisture, hence making the use of DOT5 a smart move.

DOT 5 is ONLY a smart move in tropical environments like that if you pay attention to it.

There are a lot of myths purported about silicone brake fluids....and regular fluids.

1. The myth I have often seen reported that water drops to the bottom of silicone fluid. No it does not. It intersperses into it.

2. Because silicone fluid is not hygroscopic....it does not "absorb" moisture into itself....moisture will not get into it. NOT TRUE.

The points where moisture gets into any brake system are from the reservoir vent if there is one, the caliper and wheel cylinder boots (mostly caliper) in very wet driving.
Moisture gets into DOT 5 fluid.

However, it does not "DISSOLVE' into it. Instead it is entrained into the fluid as very small micro-droplets (so small they are virtually invisible). These are not generally an issue.

However, over time as the PH of those micro-droplets changes....they "flocculate"....meaning they conglomerate together to form larger droplets that are still very small but become visible to the eye in light. They will get larger and larger

The fluid takes on a "haze". These lower PH droplets when they get up against the walls of the cylinder will cause rust.
In this condition silicone fluid can actually create worse rust than glycol based fluids.....if left in this condition. I have actually seen catastrophic rust in DOT 5 fluid. It was ancient. The owners just figured it never wears out and never absorbs fluid.

So what you should be doing in wet climates with DOT 5...is every couple of years, pull out a dropper full of fluid and compare to a sample of new fluid. If it has changed color at all or looks hazy...change it.

For those who drive very little in their cars.....this can take a long time with silicone fluid).

IMPORTANT POINT: because the silicone fluid does not ABSORB water and change its chemistry.....the boiling point of that water is STILL 212* F. So when you get enough micro-droplets of water entrained/suspended in the silicone fluid....and that fluid is inside of an area of high heat like a caliper or wheel cylinder...it can flash into steam....causing a mushy pedal....and even brake lockup.
Been there and done that...because I didn't know any better the first time I worked with DOT 5. More on this in a minute.

3. You must have silicone fluid to get the high wet boiling points we like in high performance. No....not anymore.

Plenty of the performance DOT 4 (and some 3) and especially the DOT 5.1's (which are not silicone based) have wet and dry boiling points that meet or exceed DOT 5...and do not have compatibility issues. You can mix them with DOT 3 and 4.

In a study done by Mettler Toledo (they make equipment for measuring moisture absorption by weight)...in moderate weather (not desert and not tropical) ...normal brake fluid absorbs ~1.5% moisture per year. About 2% in tropical climates (think Seattle).

DOT 3 when it absorbs ~ 3% moisture will experience an ~25% drop in boiling point. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 but its formulation causes a slightly faster drop in boiling point.

DOT 4 has borate esters which make it lubricate better, work better in freezing weather, have a higher boiling point, is a corrosion inhibitor (its one of the most common ingredients in cutting fluids) and make less sludge (the goo that forms outside the master cylinder outer seal with age that generally causes cylinder destroying rust ridges)...but that makes it more sensitive to moisture.

The gist of these "normal" brake fluids is that as the moisture gets absorbed....its boiling gets augmented. Its no longer just "water". It no longer boils at a simple 212* F. So, it cannot flash off into steam and cause compressible bubbles of gas. This moisture also cannot RUST.

Up to a specific point, DOT 5 has nothing on a good modern DOT 3/4/5.1 fluid.

This is the good thing about glycol ether based fluids. They can absorb several percentage points of moisture with no performance or rust issues.

BUT.....as moisture increases, the corrosion inhibitors start to oxidize. When the entrained moisture level gets to ~5%....the corrosion inhibitors...are just about done for.

For most climates....this is about 36 months. For tropical climates....its a little over 2 years. This also all depends on how much you drive.

Yep....so it turns out that VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, Honda....and virtually ever other car company was right all of those years ago. If you just flush your system completely every 2 years...it will last virtually forever (rust and seal integrity wise).

Just buy a decent pressure bleeder like a Motive....and pump a quart through every 2 years (what....20 minutes?)...and having a special fluid becomes a moot point.

By the way....if you are racing...and getting your brakes SERIOUSLY hot....DOT 5 makes all the sense in the world. It has a lot of use in "some" types of aircraft as well (unless they have anti-lock systems). Ray
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

I did a complete flush of my brake system last year. I put DOT5 in it in 2009. I let it sit over night in a glass jar. Inspected it the next day. Saw no signs of water, rubber, rust or other contaminants.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid Reply with quote

I can tell you from working on antique military vehicles for 40 years that silicone fluid does get moisture in it and that moisture will migrate to the lowest point in the system, the wheel cylinders. Flushing will not remove the water since it is laying on the bottom of the wheel cylinder and the fresh fluid is coming in the top and the old fluid is going out the bleeder, also on top. Military vehicles use nothing but DOT 5 fluid. They both have their good and bad points. 3,4,5.1 will all work fantastic as pain removers. They also are hygroscopic and absorb moisture. That said a flush every year or so completely eliminates that moisture since it is contained in the fluid. DOT5 will not "Absorb" moisture since it is not hygroscopic but, the system still has to be able to breath so as fluid level drops (disc brakes and unadjusted brakes) the diaphragm in the master cylinder can also drop and the master does not develop a vacuum. Just flushing DOT 5 will not remove the moisture trapped in the bottoms of the wheel cylinders but you also will probably not need to do it as often. But to completely clean out a DOT 5 system you need to pop open the wheel cylinders and wipe them out.
To do a conversion in either direction you need to drain the system, open the wheel cylinders so they are also empty, put that all back together and fil the master cylinder with you new fluid before hooking up the lines to the wheel cylinders. Let the new fluid run out the ends of the open lines for a bit to clear out any old fluid left in them and then plug them back into the wheel cylinders and bleed as normal. You are done. There is no need to worry about the very small amount of leftover fluid that is sticking to the insides of the lines, this will not be enough to cause a problem. It is when someone does not know a vehicle has 5 in it and refills the master with 3. Down the road you system ends up with a gooey gel in it. I have repaired a few of those.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: