Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camshaft help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sprocket78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've just been given a new camshaft for my 1800 type 1 build and I know nothing really about it. all I can find out is that it is .394 lift , 244 duration and 108 degrees centre. This is my first build (with help) with a fully forged and counterweighted bottom end and pistons @ 88 x 74 with P&P stock heads and dual 40 idf carbs.
Will this camshaft work or would I be advised to get another?
Cheers for the advice in advance
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Tell us more about the cam.

is that valve lift at the cam? or at the valve?

is that duration (244) advertized duration? or at .050" duration?

Is there anything stamped on the face of the cam?
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Being a new build, I would go with a new cam, one perfectly suited for the engine.
Sprocket78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Ok thats the lift at the cam and the duration is at. 050"
The only thing I can find by googling is a kuhltek?
Sprocket78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
Being a new build, I would go with a new cam, one perfectly suited for the engine.

It is a brand new unboxed camshaft, if it's any good, I'll use it.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Most all cams are stamped with a number on the oil pump end. If it is not stamped, it might be a regrind.

See what number is on it and report back.

The right cam can make or break an engine. Just cause it was free doesn't mean it is a good deal, or make it the correct cam for the application.

Brian
Sprocket78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Most all cams are stamped with a number on the oil pump end. If it is not stamped, it might be a regrind.

See what number is on it and report back.

The right cam can make or break an engine. Just cause it was free doesn't mean it is a good deal, or make it the correct cam for the application.

Brian

Ok I'll have a look next time I can get to my storage.

I did find some more info via google :
AC109204 Lift and duration figures taken at .050 Duration Lift: 394 at cam, .433 at valve Duration: 244 degree's, 284 running duration
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

From what I've researched, it's a Kuhltek Motorwerks cam. And, from what I understand, most everything branded Kuhltek is made by AA.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Cam specs are very close to the perennial Engle 110. I think it will work well with your other engine parts. Your heads will need single heavy-duty valve springs, which necessitate stronger pushrods such as HD aluminum, or chromoly steel. Then you'll need to strengthen your rocker arm shafts by getting rid of the stock "wavy" washer spacers on the shafts, using either solid shims or buying a bolt-together shaft with a center rigid spacer. Stock 1.1:1 rockers and OEM-type valve adjusting screws will be fine.
Sprocket78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Cam specs are very close to the perennial Engle 110. I think it will work well with your other engine parts. Your heads will need single heavy-duty valve springs, which necessitate stronger pushrods such as HD aluminum, or chromoly steel. Then you'll need to strengthen your rocker arm shafts by getting rid of the stock "wavy" washer spacers on the shafts, using either solid shims or buying a bolt-together shaft with a center rigid spacer. Stock 1.1:1 rockers and OEM-type valve adjusting screws will be fine.

Thank you, that's a great help.
I didn't want to reject it until I was sure that it was unusable, luckily it seems it is.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

One generally chooses the cam to suit a settled engine configuration. It is harder to build an engine around a cam.

To my limited cam knowledge, it makes me think of FK-7ish numbers...but that's a ratio-rocker cam, so I dunno.

The difference between the advertised and .050 numbers makes me think it has gentler ramps than some. I dunno if there's actually anything to that difference in numbers, but i like to think it does.

It looks like it would make max horsepower at something like 5500-5800rpm, so build an engine with a valve-size(area)-to-displacement ratio that makes for max airspeed around those rpm. if it's for the street.

Always buy the best heads you can, but it is almost always better to have the cam 1 size too small than 1 size too big, in my view.
Sprocket78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Just managed to get to have a look at it and looking at the quality of it, I would say I'd be better using it as a paperweight. thanks for the advice.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Camshaft help Reply with quote

Sprocket78 wrote:
Hi all,
I've just been given a new camshaft for my 1800 type 1 build and I know nothing really about it. all I can find out is that it is .394 lift , 244 duration and 108 degrees centre. This is my first build (with help) with a fully forged and counterweighted bottom end and pistons @ 88 x 74 with P&P stock heads and dual 40 idf carbs.
Will this camshaft work or would I be advised to get another?
Cheers for the advice in advance

Get a CB 2241 or even better, a Web 218 or 163. Web cams are a little more money than most others, but very good quality and very good power.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: