Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Documents Required to Ship Parts to Canada
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Documents Required to Ship Parts to Canada Reply with quote

I did use the search, but nothing current. I have a member in Quebec that purchased 2 used bearing housings. Total weight is 42 pounds. Best deal seems to be UPS, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is actually required for customs. It shouldn't be this confusing. I found a customs form, but it seems written for a business. Any current info would be appreciated. I've also put in a call to my Local UPS store and left a message. This package is too heavy for USPS according to the shipping calculator. Either way there must be some sort of form. Also no directions if the form needs to be inside the box or attached to the exterior. Thank you.

Last edited by MarkWard on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

I'm not positive for Quebec (should be the same), but for here in BC shipping stuff from America requires that the Canadian recipient pay taxes on the goods based on sale price.

So for you, the shipper/seller, all you have to do is charge the customer the amount of shipping costs to you (plus any insurance), and inform the customer they are responsible for the taxes, which they will have to pay before they can receive the package.

You will have to declare the value of the goods on the shipping docs. The folks at UPS (or Fedex, which is what we have here) should have the necessary forms. The forms will be attached to the outside.

My experience with Fedex is they will call me with the amount of taxes owed and I can pay that with a credit card over the phone and then the box shows up.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

I did find a relatively easy customs form from ups in English and French. Still no word from my local ups store. Maybe I’m just making a bigger deal out of it than I need to. Just want to be sure in the end the parts get there. Thank you.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain the UPS customs tax will be more than expected..
break the order into 2 packages for USPS to canada..
signify it as a non-retail item.. ie used parts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

Please note that UPS tends to charge the receiver in Canada very high brokerage fees COD. If I am getting things shipped from the US, UPS is my very last choice, immediately after duct taping it to an inebriated donkey. FedEx may have higher up front costs, but it will typically have pre-clearance, and all fees included.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

Thank you. They were already double boxed for another member in the US that balked at the shipping cost to Calif. Its hard to give an accurate shipping cost without packing the parts. Not making enough on these parts to start repacking them in separate boxes etc. We did discuss disassembling the hubs completely and packing them into large USPS flat rate boxes. Shipping through PayPal in this instance only offers USPS or UPS.

Overall, shipping has been killer on large items. Often more than the selling price. The USPS must have had engineers come up with Flat Rate Boxes that hold almost nothing. Anyhow I digress.

I've got the customs form filled out and the shipping label printed. I'm off to the UPS store and see how it goes. Thank you again. Mark.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

Please please please write clearly “used parts 25 years old for vintage vehicle over 25 years old”.

This should prevent duty on the import. If the buyer gets duty penalty at least they can counter claim it.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

It's helpful to include an invoice in the packaging envelope on the outside of the package for customs.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

last time i shipped a Volvo diff to Canada (was Ontario) it wasn't a big deal. i think it was about 120 bux and they asked what it was. told them it was a core and they asked if it was coming back to the USA. i told them no and it was no big deal.

i don't recall having to fill out any other paperwork. it was about 55/65 pounds all packed up as i recall.

granted this was a diff i rebuilt and went to a commercial address

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

At this point fingers crossed. Seems the customs form I used is downloaded from UPS Canada. I asked the UPS store for a US form since they were the ones that pointed out it was a UPS Canada form. They said they don’t and it should have automatically generated when I printed the shipping label. They printed 2 extra forms after I signed it and did provide a pouch for them. I hope this works out. So much for “Free Trade” thanks again I’ll report back how it goes either way.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

Quote:
USPS flat rate boxes

is a joke for International shipping.

it's clearly marked on the box  "Flat rate for Domestic and International Shipping"

I shipped a flat rate box the size of a paperback book weighing less than 1lb... they charged me $39.00 instead of 8.90 .... 
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
Please please please write clearly “used parts 25 years old for vintage vehicle over 25 years old”.

This should prevent duty on the import. If the buyer gets duty penalty at least they can counter claim it.

This + DO NOT SHIP UPS!. Ship it USPS. It's probably a $100+ difference on the receiving end. Whenever I buy stuff from Samba et al in the US I stipulate USPS. If that can't be met I move on.

I just bought a set of mirrors on here. Insisted on USPS. Seller sent UPS. Instead of $0-15 in fees on my end I got a $120 bill from UPS. Every authentic Canadian loves beer, poutine, hockey and hates UPS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

At 42 pounds I did not have a USPS option through PayPal. Checking USPS.com. Ground shipping was double and no tracking. So in this case a tracking number even if the broker fee is $85 it works out the same.

I probably wasn’t clear in my original post. I wasn’t wondering so much about shippers, but what “Documentation” was required to ship across the border and where it needed to be.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping used Vanagon Parts to Canada Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
sphet wrote:

This + DO NOT SHIP UPS!. Ship it USPS. It's probably a $100+ difference on the receiving end. Whenever I buy stuff from Samba et al in the US I stipulate USPS. If that can't be met I move on.

I just bought a set of mirrors on here. Insisted on USPS. Seller sent UPS. Instead of $0-15 in fees on my end I got a $120 bill from UPS. Every authentic Canadian loves beer, poutine, hockey and hates UPS.

This^^^^^^
I hate myself every single time I forget to request ANY shipper other than UPS when I order something from the US. Recently I bought a $300 item. UPS charged me $87 on delivery. It was an $80 brokerage fee to determine I owed $7 in tax on it. Not long before that, they charged the same fee on a $150 item.

It’s cheaper to use FedEx Express. You’ll pay a much higher shipping fee, but brokerage fees are included in the price.
I’ve also very rarely had to pay anything when deliveries come via Canada Post / USPS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Documents Required to Ship Parts to Canada Reply with quote

I have updated my post to reflect that it was the customs documentation information I was looking for.

In my original search on the Google about shipping to Canada, most of the disappointment was with the USPS loosing the package and not being able to trace it to the end point once it was in the Canadian postal service.

I'm sure for our neighbors to the north, they'd like to pay as little as possible, but at the same time, for shippers here, the priority is that it arrives.

Depending on how this works out, I may have to exclude international shipping in my few adds.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Documents Required to Ship Parts to Canada Reply with quote

It is flat rate for the USPS boxes but the rate for domestic and international is different. WHy would one think it cost the same to ship something to Ulan Bator as it does to Topeka?

It is also flat rate by country, not US and ROW.

Im immune to shipping costs ever since I had to ship a 600 pound thing to Antarctica. That, was expensive.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Documents Required to Ship Parts to Canada Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Im immune to shipping costs ever since I had to ship a 600 pound thing to Antarctica. That, was expensive.

Have you gotten out of the ice selling business?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Documents Required to Ship Parts to Canada Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Have you gotten out of the ice selling business?

The ice comes back on an empty transport, so that pricing is better. Wink
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Documents Required to Ship Parts to Canada Reply with quote

Echoing the comments above - do your CDN customers a favor and avoid UPS. I buy parts for the Westy and three other Volvos and typically have everything shipped to a mail order outlet in Washington state as I am about 30 minutes from the border and have NEXUS, which gets me easy entry and exit across the border. With the pandemic, the borders are closed and I currently have parts frozen in the US. Sad I too, have been insisting on USPS or FedEx from all of my suppliers over the last number of months. UPS doesn't seem to have a consistent formula for brokerage charges - I have been charged $90 on a $100 item and $50 on a $200 purchase,. Either way, its far more than the others charge.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Documents Required to Ship Parts to Canada Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

In my original search on the Google about shipping to Canada, most of the disappointment was with the USPS loosing the package and not being able to trace it to the end point once it was in the Canadian postal service.

Actually, you can. Just put the USPS tracking number in Canada Post's website and it will track on its journey through Canada. PM me and I can give you an example USPS number that was delivered to my house.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: