Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dick landy super charger build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

this is my dick landy super charger build. this build is going to take me all summer to build .i was lucky to find this dick landy super charger .,its one of the first dick landy super chargers. mine is a B&M. its not as big as the later landy super charger made by holley . being that mine was used. its had all new gaskets installed . new oil .i like the black wrinkle paint look . so the first thing i did .was to paint it with the black wrinkle paint . the next thing i did was to drill and tap the alt. stand and install a bolt that will hold a bracket to the super charger intake . the end casting are old school dds or race trim end castings.they are bigger than a stock vw end castings. i ported the end casting to match the 1"5/8 dick landy super charger intake mainifold tube . the next thing i bought was a stock alum. case .i like to use the new alum. case because there stronger then a mag. case . and my motor is super charged. if you look at the picture of the alum. case you will see i had to do some machine work to help install the super charger intake manifold. the parting line where the two case halfs meet. was wider then a stock mag case so i had to machine them down so the super charger intake. would line up with the case halfs .i allso had to machine the case bolt hole by the alt. stand .and machine the alt stand so it would clear a nut.on the case half .i all so installed a bolt on the case where the alt. stand bolts on. so if i have to remove the super charger intake manifold it will be easy to remove the case nut . that it for the start of the super charger build . spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update here is a picture of my air cleaner its a old b&m . all so this is a picture of my dds intake manifolds . that i did a mild port work on . the next thang i am going to get is a holley 390 cfm carb . that is used in nascar racing .i have used that carb in the past .great carb .+it will look good under the b&m air cleaner . spencerfvee

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Man this is going to look cool! Keep posting.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Very Cool. What is the coating on the engine case?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

tcmia wrote:
Very Cool. What is the coating on the engine case?
.................................. hi my friend its a auto linea alum. case . they do make a paint that look like alum casting take care spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Man this is going to look cool! Keep posting.
.........i will but its going to take all summer maybe to build. i am not rich lol lol but i sell a lot of parts to pay for the build thanks spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update. i just bought this used header. i dont know who made it. but i remember seeing one years ago in the 1980s i think. .any way . super charged motors dont like back pressure . they run the best with open headers . so i bought this 1 5/8 " header with a 2 1/2 " flang into a 2 1/2" muffler this should work well with the dick landy super charger and keep the back pressure down so the super charger can do its job and keep the people around my home off my back lol its a real cool looking header and its well made header . .thanks for looking

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

neat old header,and it has an O2 sensor bung Wink Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update i just set this mallory =treuhaft distributor up to run at 10degs. intl all in by 2,500 rpm with a 24degs. total . dick landy super chargers dont like a lot of advance .i realy like the old mallory distributors because there so easy to set any curve you want by useing a mallory key .they are well made .its to bad they dont make them any more spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
neat old header,and it has an O2 sensor bung Wink Cool
..............................................i too saw that on the header i wont use it going to a swap meet today i hope i find some thing going to be 60 degs. today tea ohio spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update i just got this 69mm forged empi 4140 chromoly crankshaft .(i know its a empi crank but it will work just fine for my 1600cc dick landy super charged build. being that this motor will only go to 4,500 to 5,000 rpm there is no need for a stronger crank) this will be a 1600cc build. i have ran these empi cranks be for and they work just fine. i dont want any thing bigger on the motor .i just want to have a daily driver . and have fun spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update i just got a engle 110 cam . this cam is a great all around cam .and will work best for my dick landy super charged street motor . . i have used this cam a lot on my street motors .its some times used in mild turbo charged motors spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update i got this used breather .from a friend . i have used this typ. of breather be for .i took it to the shop and refaced the breather sealing surface .you have to remove the the chrome off of the breathers so the gaskets will seal . or it wont seal and oil will leak . i like to use permatex from a gasket sealant non hardening . if you get this on your hand its super hard to get it off of your hands lol spencerfvee

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Wait, how many engines are you building?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Wait, how many engines are you building?
......................................ok i built one 74x92 street motor its all done . and a dick landy super charged motor for my ralley bug . i was only going to build one motor then this great deal on a dick landy super chager came a long . i am not rich i did a lot od trading to get the parts for this build i am in to restoring old bmx bikes from the 1970s i am selling some of the old bmx bikes to fund this build . all so i am having a lot of fun . this is my last vw build i will ever do . time to enjoy life thanks for the post spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update i was at a friends .and i was looking at his parts .and on a shelf was a set of NOS mahle 85.5 forged cyl. pistons . we made a deal for them .they were not cheap. with a super charged motor you need a stronger pistons so the build goes on . and the hunts on for more parts lol spencerfvee

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

How about instead of the 390cfm NASCAR carb you use a 350 or 500 cfm 2 barrel? you can find them much cheaper.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update i was at a friends .and i was looking at his parts .and on a shelf was a set of NOS mahle 85.5 forged cyl. pistons . we made a deal for them .they were not cheap. with a super charged motor you need a stronger pistons so the build goes on . and the hunts on for more parts lol spencerfvee

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

I’d go with a Holley Sniper kit
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I’d go with a Holley Sniper kit
............................................................................................................i will look into it when i go to summit racing store .but i am old school carb kind of guy thanks spencerfvee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: