Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dick landy super charger build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update i did a mock up of the super charger. on the alum case . i did not like the lower bracket on the intake manifold .that bolts to the alternator stand . to hold the intake manifold up right .i thought it put to much pressure on the lower bracket to hold the intake manifold up right .so i made a top support bracket. from the super charger intake manifold . to the alternator it worked great see pictures
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

What kind of car is this going in?

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

TinCanFab wrote:
What kind of car is this going in?
hi its going into a drag race and ralley 1974 vw bug spencerfvee

c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

I have a buddy that is running the larger of the two DL blowers on a thin wall 1679 in his buggy. The motor is old and tired, but still screams (a new 2387 long block is built and ready to go in it's place). He built his own air to water intercooler, uses Holley Fuel Injection, and MSD distributor with boost retard. Made 127 HP at the tires with the water tank filled with ice. With the ice, he had 72 degree intake temps at peak power and the air temp in the shop on the dyno that day was over 105 degrees! It gets street and highway driven and beat on at all the local off road parks. Have fun!!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

c77owen wrote:
I have a buddy that is running the larger of the two DL blowers on a thin wall 1679 in his buggy. The motor is old and tired, but still screams (a new 2387 long block is built and ready to go in it's place). He built his own air to water intercooler, uses Holley Fuel Injection, and MSD distributor with boost retard. Made 127 HP at the tires with the water tank filled with ice. With the ice, he had 72 degree intake temps at peak power and the air temp in the shop on the dyno that day was over 105 degrees! It gets street and highway driven and beat on at all the local off road parks. Have fun!!
........................................................................................................................ hi thanks for the info . sounds like your friend is having a great time with his dick landy blower and yes the holley dick landy blower is bigger than my B&M blower . witch is ok with me .i am after a street driver for the looks as long as it does the speed limit. i will be happy lol ..over the years i have had a lot of big street motor vws and my fair share of speeding tickets. thats why i am building a small 1600 motor . i will let you young guys have the fun with the cops lol lol . ps can you tell me what rpm he shifts at ? what kind of cam is he running ? thanks take care spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update i just got these rods today . there empi forged chromoly i beam rods . these will work well with my dick landy super charger motor build . i have used these rods be for and they worked great on my 2180 motor . spencerfvee
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Are you going to be able to run a decklid? I think your whale tail is actually pretty fitting for this car Very Happy

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

TinCanFab wrote:
Are you going to be able to run a decklid? I think your whale tail is actually pretty fitting for this car Very Happy
..............................................................................................................i have a 74x92 motor that i will run at first it will take me all summer to build the super charged motor . i will use the whale tail with that motor . i might cut the whale tail to fit the super charger motor .but i dont know if i have the guts to cut the whale tail lol lol spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update . i wanted to find out the deck was on the mahle pistons . so i mocked up the case .and i found out that the EMPI 8340 rods did not like the silverline rod bearings. the rod locked up when i tried to install the rod on the crank .well off to the shop .i found out that the mahle rod bearing worked . the guys at the shop have run into this be for . with the silverline rod bearings . so every thing worked out . i changed cams. i am now going to use a engle v 26 cam i love this cam. it has great bottom end power and good top end power .its a cam like a 110 cam. but does not have the lift of a 110 cam . so you use 1:4.1 rockers to get about the same lift as a 110 cam with 1:1 stock rockers .i like this cam because its easy on the valve train . spencerfvee

c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Throw out the Silverline rod bearings. They de-laminate very quickly and cause serious damage...at least that has been my experience. I use their main bearings, but not their rod bearings. As for the Mahle/Clevite rod bearings, pay close attention to your clearances (as you should with any bearing of any brand). I have run into some that were manufactured in I believe 04/2019 that were way too tight. Unfortunately bearing quality and consistency is hard to come by these days
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

c77owen wrote:
Throw out the Silverline rod bearings. They de-laminate very quickly and cause serious damage...at least that has been my experience. I use their main bearings, but not their rod bearings. As for the Mahle/Clevite rod bearings, pay close attention to your clearances (as you should with any bearing of any brand). I have run into some that were manufactured in I believe 04/2019 that were way too tight. Unfortunately bearing quality and consistency is hard to come by these days
......................................................thanks for the info .the siverline rod bearings are gone . most of the time i use mahle cam bearing and rod bearings and silverline main bearings , when i got the rod bearing the shop was out of mahle std. rod bearings . spencerfvee
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

I agree and I did the same. Very happy with their fit! Great job man!
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
I agree and I did the same. Very happy with their fit! Great job man!
......................................................................................................thanks .after building my own motors. over the years .and i can see how much time and money it takes to build a vw motor theres a old saying what can go wrong . will go wrong lol . i can see why shops charge the money they do to build a vw motor ..spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update .i just picked up this fan housing . from a friend . it has the heater air ducks welded over .like a thing fan housing . i wanted a fan housing that takes the air flaps . to help cool the motor. spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update .i just bought these O.E. brand heads . there about $225.00 each. i have used these heads be for . they will work just fine on my dick landy super charged motor build. i wont be go over 5,000 rpm. with these heads .. these heads have 39mm intake valves . by mm 35mm ex. valves in these heads . the most important thing you must do. if you by a set of these heads. is to change the intake valves to 40mm . the 39mm valves that come with the heads . are to small for the 40mm valve seat . why why oe brand installs these 39mm valves in there heads i just dont under stand there thinking. any how i cc the heads because i want 7.1 cr. after cc the head they came to 59ccs after doing the math my cr came to 692.9 cr rounded off that 7.1cr with 1600cc cyls i all so cc a stock vw head and it came out to 53cc . that would be about 7.5.1 cr .just what vw wanted . i think o.e. brand wanted the cr to be 7.1 .because of the cheap gas thats being sold now a days. maybe who knows lol. so if you want more cr you have to fly cut head and remove the step .in the head .i have some work to do on the heads be for i use them on my super charged motor i cant wait to spend that $1,400.00 that biden gave every one lol spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update . i just got the heads done .they now have 40mm by 35mm valves . i port matched the intake manifolds to the intake ports on the heads . i did a mild port work on the heads. intake ports .so the heads would flow more air . the ex. ports i just cleaned them up and matched them to the header gaskets . then i lapped the valves . to make sure they were seating right on the valve seats . i installed single high rev springs with .chr. moly retainers .with harden keepers . every thing worked out spencerfvee

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Hey just figured I'd let you know: I've used that exact brand of head, same valve sizes, and they were fine for me for 10k buggy miles. The only difference is I ran SS valves just because I had them. I don't see much posted here on them, but our local shop uses boatloads of them and they hold up. I figure they flow just a bit more than a stock head, nothing crazy.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
Hey just figured I'd let you know: I've used that exact brand of head, same valve sizes, and they were fine for me for 10k buggy miles. The only difference is I ran SS valves just because I had them. I don't see much posted here on them, but our local shop uses boatloads of them and they hold up. I figure they flow just a bit more than a stock head, nothing crazy.
................................................................................................................................your right there a great s heads for the money. and they do hold up for street heads . and your right they have a mild porting job cast into them.all so the machine work on the heads is super nice ...and your right the shop where i buy my heads sells a lot of them . for racing i like mofoco heads roy does a great job .on his heads and there made in the USA . my 40mm valves are SS in my heads .spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

i have had e mail from guys that wanted to see my whole ralley bug build spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update its hard for me not to put a after market cam in my motor .i am not used to it being a crab guy for years .i all ways used a engle 100 110 120 or fk10 cams over the years . here goes. when i though. i had the right cam for my dick landy motor . i read this post by mo turbo manx. his build was a home made turbo 1600 single port motor . he got over 140 hp out of his motor using a stock vw cam with 18lbs boost . he used a stock vw cam .because it was more street friendly and just right for his 1600cc turbo motor .it made his buggy more fun to drive on the street .he did a lot of testing and reading on turbo charging a motor . i will never use 18lbs boost .i will use about 7or 8 lbs boost . i want to drive my bug a lot on the street. i dont want a race car lol been there done it . i want to be like a low rider guy lol sit back and let people look at my bug lol just have fun with out getting pulled over by the cops. been there done that .i stopped and talked to ohio tom. the best turbo and super charged person i know in ohio. i asked him about running a stock vw cam in my dick landy super charged motor and he was all for it . he said it should work just fine with my 1600cc motor build. toms one super nice guy .hes all ways willing to help out people with info cant wait to see toms bug run 9s in the 1/4 mile at drag way 42 this year . so i have a brand new stock 1600cc cam by aplic resolit they have been around for years and make a super nice stock cam. i should have all my boost in by 4,500 rpm to 5,000 rpm that works for me . who says you cant teach a old dog new tricks lol lol thanks for looking spencerfvee

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: