Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dick landy super charger build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update hi every one. been a long time since i updated my super charger build . i got a 390 cfm holley carb . i installed on the primary side of the carb jet exten.with 56 main jets i installed a new float to clear the jet extns . on the secondary side of the carb i installed 68 main jets . and i took out the power valve and installed a plug i then i installed a return springs on the carb i installed a thick carb spacer to help seal the carb better on the super charger .i installed the carb on the super charger . it does not look like i did a lot but running to summit racing parts store 3 times for parts. and to going to a store for nuts and bolts .any one who builds a motor knows how much running around for parts takes time . thanks for looking spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

hi more pictures of build .on the table is $400.00 worth of parts .i cant be leave i spent that much money on a carb build well i got the money by selling at jims vw swap meet car show last sat. on the way home i stopped at summit racing here in ohio and spent what money i made at jims show on the above parts . its a guy thing make money spend it on your vws lol lol VWS are my drug . i did have money left over so i stooped at fast food and had a nice meal. lol take care every one and have fun spencerfvee

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update i just got the crank cleaned and installed the two brand new crank cam and dizy gears and a race spacer . i like useing new gears to me it helps to keep the timing from jumping around . to me a 45 year old timing gear .has to be worn out .to me .why spend a lot of money on as new motor and use worn out gears. i all so installed the new rods on the crank. as you can see by looking at the crank and case i am using two steel backed bearings .i am doing so because the dick landy super charger pulley is heavy and the pulley drives two belts .one to the alt. one to the super charger. i did not want to put a strain on the crank end small bearing . i had to drill a doll pin hole on the right case half .by using a old bearing that i drilled a hole in to .so i had a guide to ware the doll pin hole should be . dont worry the alum case has doll pins that hold the case in a line with the other bearing and the rear fly wheel bearing helps keeping the case in line and so does the pulley bearing .all so alum cases are a lot stronger than mag cases. i have been doing this for years even on all out drag race motors that turn 8,000 rpm just my two cents guys it works for me spencerfvee.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

update .i started to put my 1600cc super charged motor together. and when i started to tighten the two center case studs down it locked the crank up . i have not had that happen be for with brand new parts .after taking the case apart .every thing looked good. it was a brand new bug pack crank. brand new alum case .so off to the shop where i buy my parts .me and my friend finely traced it to the new std. silverline bearings from pacific . on the shelf we found a set of older silver line main bearings .i put them on my crank .they worked just fine . it wasted a lot of my time. and realy pissed me off that silverline cant make sure there main bearings are made to the right size . when they leave mexico . i never had this happen with mahle main bearings . spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

up date what a hard build this super charger has been . its the old story if it dont fit make it fit lol . well i added up what i have in this motor with all new parts over $8,000.00 to date . i dont think guys should add up what they have in a motor build and never never tell your wife how much money you spent on a motor build lol lol. any way its all most all done . now thats its all most done. i got to the point that i wanted to blow it up with C4 lol lol at one time . i got over it lol i learned one thing when i think i know every thing . i dont lol the only thing i can say is the photos say it all. it does look bad ass to me . thanks for looking spencerfvee

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Looks awesome Cool
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Looks awesome Cool
. thanks needed that . spencerfvee
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

I can't wait to hear this thing run! Cool
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Amazing build. Can't wait to see it running. Keep up the great work.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

How much hp do you expect it to make? Guess you wont be running a deck lid? Looks awesome!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

That beast looks awesome! Can't wait to see how it performs. Any plans to dyno it?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
I can't wait to hear this thing run! Cool
.....i do to want to hear it run . but .i have the other motor thats a 74 by 92 motor .that goes in the ralley bug first . i all so must finish the 73 ralley bug .its not all together yet . thanks spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
......................... thanks for the kind words .its been a long build. i just want to do it right the first time . so i can enjoy the car . i want to get the super charged motor running too . thanks spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
...........thanks i cant wait to hare it breath fire lol i hope you too get your dream vw may be call it ruby number two running .we vw guys have are dream vw cars .we want to build . that s what life s all about. making are dreams come true spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
How much hp do you expect it to make? Guess you wont be running a deck lid? Looks awesome!
............................................. well its only a 1600cc motor but the dick landy add says it gives a 43% power increase to a existing aspirated engine dick landy took a stock vw 1600cc motor and put a dick landy super charger on it with a 600cfm holley carb and got 140 hp on there dyno . the sad thing is befor dick lady passed away they only made 33 dick landy super charged kits they cost around $ 2,800.. back then . a lot of money back in the 1990s my super charger is a smaller B& M super charger .B&M was bought by holley so holley made a hand full of bigger holley super charger blowers for dick landy these kits are very rare . and super hard to find and when you do find one they cost some times from $5,000.00 to $8,000.00 for a nos one i am think my dick landy will put out may be 120 hp to 140 hp i dont have a dyno to test it on . i built this motor to be a every day driver i will not drag race it i just want to have fun with it . take care spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
That beast looks awesome! Can't wait to see how it performs. Any plans to dyno it?
.....thanks for the kind words . it does look like a beast lol no i dont have a dyno to test it on . but i am hoping for 120hp thanks spencerfvee
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

I can't wait to hear it. It looks killer!
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

My buddy has the larger Holley blower on a pretty tired 1679 with Holley fuel injection, MSD ignition and a custom made air to water intercooler under the blower. That set up, with ice in the intercooler tank, made 127 HP to the tires on his buggy. It is now all being swapped over to a MUCH bigger 2387 to see what it will do. You will enjoy the reliable power they make!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

I think there is still some room left for more stickers Very Happy
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: dick landy super charger build Reply with quote

Your paint job reminds me of Eddie Van Halen's "Frankenstrat" guitar after an LSD trip and a tour through the Beatle's Yellow Submarine movie.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: