Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Kills An Engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
So when I climb the Clatskanie Hill on Hwy 30, at 85 MPH. It's pretty steep!
I should downshift to third gear to get the RPM's up? If I downshift, it's likely to grenade the engine. Shocked

67 Beetle 1679cc, .412 R&P Pro-Street trans. Cool

I'm sure it's different with an upgraded engine, transmission and cooling. But in a completely stock pre 67 beetle atleast w/ stock cam, SP heads, early style oil cooler, smaller fan, etc.... it's another story.

I've been told and have personally experienced overheating from what I explained. Long extended uphill climbs are the killer.

At 55-65 going up a hill in 4th you are pushing the engine as hard as you can, while also lugging it to some extent. The result of this is that the fan is not turning fast enough to cool the motor when it is under that much load. This is especially important in California or anywhere where the weather is generally hot.

I was told this is best for the life of a completely stock car to do the following. If you are going 55 or 60 down the highway and you approach a long climb, let the car slow down to 45 and then downshift to 3rd and climb the hill going 45 Twisted Evil as opposed to speeding up to 70 and climbing the hill that way, IMO a stock SP engine/trans will have a hard time doing that and wont be happy about it.

Hot street, performance oriented builds... whole nother story tho Dancing
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

HANDS DOWN THE DRIVER i dont know how many times guys come in to the shop and say i was onley driving 55 mph and the motor just stopped .then there friends come into the shop .and tell how he was runny the dog shit out of his bug trying to do burn outs or trying to pick the frount tires off the ground lol lol theres guys out there that can kill any VW motor made lol just my two cents spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

HEAT doesn 't kill engines, FEET kill engines.

There is a recurring theme here, though, and it murderised one of my engines, too: the exhaust valve. Hottest place in the whole engine.

Also, if such an overheat has crippled the engine, try adjusting the valves after it cools down. Things in the heads move around quite a bit when that happens.

As for lugging vs. dropping a gear, I'm not sure. In my experiencce, it uses less gas to drive at the lower rpm. Less gas=less heat, and the cooling sytem is quite sufficient for the engine, no matter the rpm.

But yeah, when I found my type1 baywindow SERIOUSLY overheat goin up a STEEP hill from sea level. Yes, I did go down a gear (it might even have ended up being two), but I ALSO lowered the speed, finding myself in a similar position but one (or two) gear(s) down. What matters most is to lower the LOAD when an engine is seriously overheating. And accept a big sacrifice in speed. I was three countries away from home, and it needed it to get us home, and it did. Everything fell back into place as soon as the hill flattened out just a critical little bit, a tipping point.

I climb up a few feet almost every day (around 2500) , and the heat generated in those 15 minutes never even come near the temps I would see on the highway. But busses also have short boxes, And I'm rarely carrying the full 1.1 ton payload.

In my water cooled car, it's the other way around. Weird.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

I have always said i have no clue what VW was thinking when they put the T-1 engines in the buses. That said a heck of a lot of people bought them.

A bus is not just heavy due to it's weight. There is a lot of cubic square feet in it and you can be sure the space is not wasted. Beds, Tables, extra seating like a Sofa.. Then comes your friends and party on!!

The T-4 conversions helped early buses, but the 73 and later that had T-4 heavier buses and again cubic square feet.

When people bought buses do you think most of them had the mechanical ability to put a nail in a wall to hang a picture. Those drivers had no clue about engine vs the weigh of the bus.

Most guys now know what to expect and also keep in mind it is freaking heavy.

When I was talking about my blow engine that was in a stock 73 Bug with a T-1 engine, now my bug is stripped, not even rear seats, rugs, sound deadening insulation or headliner.. I would say less then 1700 lbs.

The 2.0 T-4 is hardly working to push my bug.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
I have always said i have no clue what VW was thinking when they put the T-1 engines in the buses. That said a heck of a lot of people bought them.

A bus is not just heavy due to it's weight. There is a lot of cubic square feet in it and you can be sure the space is not wasted. Beds, Tables, extra seating like a Sofa.. Then comes your friends and party on!!

The T-4 conversions helped early buses, but the 73 and later that had T-4 heavier buses and again cubic square feet.

When people bought buses do you think most of them had the mechanical ability to put a nail in a wall to hang a picture. Those drivers had no clue about engine vs the weigh of the bus.

Most guys now know what to expect and also keep in mind it is freaking heavy.

When I was talking about my blow engine that was in a stock 73 Bug with a T-1 engine, now my bug is stripped, not even rear seats, rugs, sound deadening insulation or headliner.. I would say less then 1700 lbs.

The 2.0 T-4 is hardly working to push my bug.

Well, people weren't trying to keep up with 85 mph trafic back then, and people didn't expect sports-car performance from a minivan, either. My bus wa originally a panel-van, pretty light. it weighs 1120 kg, and a maximum allowable weight of 2300kg, so 1180 kg payload. It can carry it's own weight, so to speak. Come to think of it...I coud carry a spare bus in the back of my bus, it's always good to have a reserve...and all pushed along by a lowly twin-port 1600. But like you say, they sold. The performance, as pitiful as it was, was considered sufficient. And they actually go pretty well, considering. I'm always amazed at the massive amount of torque you can get out of a 1600, with the right gearing.

Last edited by FreeBug on Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

Wow that is 5070 pounds !!!

So we are talking 5400 pounds, that is about 3 Bugs being pushed by the same engine size engine.

What would i do with out the Google Conversion Calculator???????
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

I agree with the feet thing. In the mid 90’s I drove from NH to California in my bus. I was running a questionable crate engine, but I had driven it for a couple years with no issues. Died a slow death which started somewhere in the plains states climbing toward the continental divide. Stayed at a campground in Utah or Nevada halfway up a mountain with snow on top, burning desert at the bottom. It was still going when we got to California but just barely.

An engine that can putter around New England for many thousands of miles will melt itself between Omaha and Fort Collins.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

The break-in for a Type 1 engine I built was a 3,500-mile trip in 105-degree August heat. in a damn Bus! Named that engine "Lucky". Good happy motor.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

what kills a engine....usually morons do.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

You beat me to it 😀 heat, feet, whatever but it’s always the nut behind the wheel.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Sometimes it takes a combination of two morons, one to build it badly and one to plumb a dirty filter backwards.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

This is beginning to remind me of the old tech acronym, PICNIC:

Problem
In
Chair,
Not
In
Computer
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Sometimes it takes a combination of two morons, one to build it badly and one to plumb a dirty filter backwards.

To be fair it was a sweep the floor style crate engine often driven by a friend who refused to understand that you could not drive it with your foot to the floor all day long through the desert in mid July.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
This is beginning to remind me of the old tech acronym, PICNIC:

Problem
In
Chair,
Not
In
Computer

The most dangerous part of a car is between the pedals and the steering wheel.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

Likely the only difference a 2L would have made to a business was a bigger fuel bill. Split vans had even smaller engines.

Here in the UK in the 60's and into the 70's all roads went through the centre of every town, heavy vehicles crawled up hills at 5mph where you could not pass and there were enough of these slow vehicles that a great deal of time was spent waiting for your turn to try and pass them, them waiting for an opportunity. In the mid 60's my father took me on a walk to see a wonderous thing - a new Motorway. The first to make it all over 60 miles out of London. He explained that people would be able to zoom from one place to another. We stood on a bridge and waited for a car...and waited... and waited. After about 10 minutes a car came dawdling along at about 40mph. lol How times have changed.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

Perhaps Colin could chime in on this. I believe in all his cross country driving and testing he found no adverse effect of lugging up hills vs not.

Personally speaking....

Not keeping the bus at 'peak' tune.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

Full throttle up hills at less than 2000 rpm will definitely take a chunk off the life of an air cooled engine!
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

Finally had a chance to disassemble the lump and see whut's whut.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeeeege...looks like #1 turned to powder and went away.
Dissolved the CC down to the seats. #1 exhaust froze up in guide, bent the pushrod, all she wrote.
The exhaust from this cylinder is evident from the heat exchanger spigot, it appears as a gray aluminum discharge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look at the remains of the piston clinging to the top of the cylinder.
Man, that got hot. Of course the rings lost their tension and are buried in the ring lands, never to return, making for a dandy ashtray.

3/4 head looks decent, valves still pretty proud of their seats.

The endplay was minimal, the thrust bearing outer looks fine but of course bearing surface shows clear sign of oil starvation- flaky.
The cam bearings also show some trauma, but cam journals look decent. Lifter faces look fine.

The rod small-ends feel quite tight against the pins. They will need re-bushing.

The case, crank, remaining three pistons and so forth appear unaffected. Gave the journals a quick polish.
If the case passes light and bore measurement tests I may attempt to throw it together with a different set of pistons- sadly, the set [and the main and rod shells] were nice Kolbenschmitts- new cam, rod and main bearings and a pair of heads and decent rods to see if at least a portion of the wreckage can be reclaimed.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

leened out a tad too...and detonation....and.....woudlent bother me a bit as I wont use any of that like of stuff any way good or bad Wink what I see is like a faranggie sees....opportunity!!!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: What Kills An Engine? Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
A few weeks ago a ratty ol' '70 Westy rolled into the backyard, originally a CA vehicle [w/ the stock idle pull-down vacuum gizmo] it had been driven from RI to west Texas circa 2012, and died down in Big Bend National Park. Traded a couple derelict US partscars for it. The word on the vehicle was that it flipped its fanbelt and quit, then was towed to town and wound up in another backyard where I found it.

The motor's pretty cooked, spins okay on starter but found a stuck #1 exhaust and a bent pushrod. Overall, it looks like it was run hot a long time before it lost its fanbelt. Curious! Made me wonder if something contributed long-term to its condition- so much baked-on grease. 1600, carb is a 30/31 w/ a 120 main. Ran a 009, in my book not a great choice. Thought I'd pull the distributor and take a look.

Made a slight clickety noise when spun, disassembled it and found a missing spring. No sign of the spring anywhere, maybe it fell out while I was cleaning the distributor. The plastic bits on the spring pegs are gone also.

Question: Was this poor thing running morbidly advanced thanks to the missing spring or am I mistaken? Motor has what appears a replacement AS case w/ no engine number and in my imagination, the 009 ruined the original case/heads through heat, then later did the same to the then-new case.

Curious whatcha think...
....................................................................... not to be funny the owner that drove that bus killed that motor.you think he would have seen the alt. or gen. light come on once the belt came off. once you over heat a motor like yours was. i my self would start with a differnt motor. to me that motors junk when its been over heated just my two cents spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: