Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Draining the gas tank.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

So i haven't driven the car since August 2019 and even though I put Sta-Bil in I figured it would be best to drain the tank and fill it with fresh when the time comes to get it back on the road. The easiest way would be to siphon it into a 5 gallon can and dump the gas into my daily driver.

Things went well for the 1st 5 gallons but the 2nd 5 gallons were a no go. You see the gas can needs to be lower than the gas tank and since the car is lowered 3" so after about a gallon... it stopped. I had to use a hand pump to get the last few gallons out.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

I just did a tank replacement on a new to me single cab, had about half a tank of fuel. Raised truck high enough to get a 5 gallon bucket under it, put a fuel line clamp on the short piece of fuel hose under tank spigot, disconnected hose and let her rip into the bucket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Should have dug a hole to get the gas can lower!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

If you have access to compressed air you can pressurize the tank just a little.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Lift the front and rear and continue.
samm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

I used an electric fuel pump inline. Disconnect the line at Carb And start filling Jerry cans.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
If you have access to compressed air you can pressurize the tank just a little.

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.

Apart from the obvious issue of over-pressurising the tank and rupture, many people are not aware of the inherent danger of introducing air into a fuel tank.

As I have said in some other threads, I worked in the oil and chemical industry for 45 years in a number of roles including process safety.

Introducing air into a tank, particularly one that is getting empty can lead to an explosion. Why?

You all know you need air, fuel and an ignition source. Just like a car engine, if the air fuel ratio is not close to 15:1 you won't get the explosion. But where's the spark?

Under some circumstances (usually tragic) compressed air can carry an electrostatic charge which can ignite fuel. Air flowing through a plastic hose or an un-earthed system can introduce different electric potentials in the air and on the hose. Again under some circumstances this can be sufficient to catastrophically ignite the fuel. In addition just introducing a lot of air into even a vented fuel tank can force the fuel vapour plume to exit the tank looking for the first available ignition source like a sparking electric tool or a pilot light in the hot water tank!

In industry only an inert gas such as Nitrogen was allowed to be used in such circumstances. This is called "blanketing". Removing the oxygen prevented explosion. I have personally been involved in risk assessing welding on partially full oil tanks which ordinarily would explode but are made safe by blanketing. Of course we had very sophisticated instruments to measure the fuel, nitrogen and air concentrations. Similar operations called "hot tapping" are used when people have to weld a new valve connection into an operating oil line full and pumping.

Many will say that "I've done this many/hundreds/thousands of times and nothing happened". True, but under some circumstances when the stars align explosions can and do happen.

A safer way would be (if you can safely regulate the gas flow and pressure) would be to add some CO2/Argon into the tank as an inert gas.

I don't want this to be too much of a lecture, but if you are interested, read up about Upper and Lower Explosive Limits (UEL,LEL).
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Don’t tell anyone in aircraft maintenance. We’ve done it this way for decades. Now obviously you don’t exceed about 2 PSI. Boeing, Lockheed, Douglas, Airbus etc. it’s in the manual. The kits which we used many times used shop air going through an ordinary air hose to a regulator. You introduced the air till you achieved 2 PSI which is plenty. How do think you find leaks in a wet wing? I know what you are thinking, kerosene isn’t as volatile tell that to TWA flight 800. Regardless it’s been standard practice to induce air into tanks at least since the 1950s. Go figure.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

I just pulled the fuel tank on my 1974 Super Beetle.

I use a floor jack to lift up the front end, and place jack stands to hold the car up; then I get under the car, undo the fuel line that goes from the tank to the tunnel, and let the fuel fill the can.

If I have more than the two gallons that fills my can, I pinch off the hose with small Vice grips, pour the gas into another car, then go back and repeat the draining. When completely drained, I reattach the hose to the tunnel and I’m all done.

By the way, now is a good time to replace the fuel filter under the tank.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

I was just draining 18 month old gas and didn't want to make a project out of it.

No jack, no tools, no electric pump and battery.... just a siphon.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Just getting the old fuel fuel out is best. You are ahead of it turning into varnish now😀
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Don’t tell anyone in aircraft maintenance. We’ve done it this way for decades. Now obviously you don’t exceed about 2 PSI. Boeing, Lockheed, Douglas, Airbus etc. it’s in the manual. The kits which we used many times used shop air going through an ordinary air hose to a regulator. You introduced the air till you achieved 2 PSI which is plenty. How do think you find leaks in a wet wing? I know what you are thinking, kerosene isn’t as volatile tell that to TWA flight 800. Regardless it’s been standard practice to induce air into tanks at least since the 1950s. Go figure.

I didn’t want this to become a treatise. Nor did I wish to insult you.

I agree if you have specific protocols, trained technicians and someone who has determined the air velocity and restriction and you have zero particulates in your air that decreases electrostatic charge and you have antistatic hoses with adequate charge dissipation then you can probably get away with it.

But the average Joe doesn’t have those and their hose which they’ve been blasting the dust off their car gas just created an electrostatic charge.

I was highlighting a possible danger to those that don’t think about it. I remember seeing stupid kids dropping matches into buckets of fuel saying that it didn’t blow. Well maybe they were above the Upper Explosive Limit and got away with it. But on a hot day with someone just holding the match a little higher in the air you have a tragedy.

Same as TWA800. A number of unlikely events all add up to a tragedy. The less likely a thing is to cause a tragedy is the one with the greatest impact when it does go wrong.
Nbraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

I am more interested as to why one would leave a bug with a tankful of gasoline sitting for 18 months.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Nbraynard wrote:
I am more interested as to why one would leave a bug with a tankful of gasoline sitting for 18 months.

Uh... pandemic, so no place to take it. And other things to do.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Sorry to have gone off topic.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

What is the problem of just driving it (unless its not driveable) ? Kind of reminds me of quigley down under where the guy shoots off the rounds in he's gun so he can fill it with fresh bullets. 2€ worth
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
What is the problem of just driving it (unless its not driveable) ? Kind of reminds me of quigley down under where the guy shoots off the rounds in he's gun so he can fill it with fresh bullets. 2€ worth

Don't want stale gas running through 2 freshly rebuild carbs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

that makes perfect sense.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
Glenn wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

that makes perfect sense.

I'm not as dumb as I look Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Nbraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Draining the gas tank. Reply with quote

Wouldn't there be stale gas sitting inside the newly rebuilt carbs?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: