Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm new to beetles... Any tips or advice greatly appreciated
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shuggie3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: I'm new to beetles... Any tips or advice greatly appreciated Reply with quote

I'm new to beetles, ive bought a 1971 1200cc, and was told this is the forum to come to. I'm thinking of putting a better cam in it, something like an engle 100, and maybe dual carbs. I was wondering if anyone knew if the cam alone would make any noticable difference to the performance of the engine, or is it not really worth the time?

Any tips/advice about this or anything beetle related would be appreciated!
Thanks
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: I'm new to beetles... Any tips or advice greatly appreciated Reply with quote

Read up on 1200 builds in this forum.... there’s plenty you can do to the 1200 to gain some more power. A cam swap on its own won’t yield much difference at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: I'm new to beetles... Any tips or advice greatly appreciated Reply with quote

Shuggie3 wrote:
I'm new to beetles, ive bought a 1971 1200cc, and was told this is the forum to come to. I'm thinking of putting a better cam in it, something like an engle 100, and maybe dual carbs. I was wondering if anyone knew if the cam alone would make any noticable difference to the performance of the engine, or is it not really worth the time?

Any tips/advice about this or anything beetle related would be appreciated!
Thanks

Dual carbs, header, small cam. Do all 3, any performance upgrades to the heads would be a big plus. I see you are in the UK, I'm not sure if you know that most people posting about a 1200 in the US are going to call it a "40 horse" or "40 hp". Also, if you see threads talking about the "bastard" 40hp, this is the first version of this engine used in the Bus. That info won't apply to a regular 1200.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: