Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Hey everyone, a little about me. My name is Matt Jackson I live in Austin TX. I've owned a 1965 Split Window VW Bus for about 5 years now and cataloged that build in the thread below. We'll this week I went and bought myself a 1990 Tornado Red Carat/Wolfsburg Edition Vanagon. Now you might ask yourself, "Why in the world did you do that Matt?" Well I saw it originally filming an episode of VW Life (also link below) and a few weeks later when re-watching the video I thought to myself, I better save it.

It's got a Tiico conversion. Currently it has a seized up Audi (bubble block) motor in it. Kenny (of Kenny Hills Auto Repair here in Austin TX) was driving it as the "shop truck" just until a couple of months ago until the motor locked up. There is a well know water cooled guy here locally that is going to put a nice 3rd Gen Jetta 2.0 in it for me. That pretty much sums it up so far. I figured I stick my head here in the Vanagon section and introduce myself. I look forward to sharing this adventure with you and document some of the process. With Helga; I did ALL of it myself, but in this case most of the major work will be done by my guy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is where I first saw the Vanagon, it's at the 11 minute mark. Want to hear something funny, this is the first time and the last time I saw it. It's currently parked in a yard somewhere and I haven't seen the thing for more than the 5 minutes when i filmed this video..

Link

That pretty much sums it up. I would love to hear from anyone who wants to say anything. I'll be looking for tires for it, I have no knowledge of the Tiico conversion. The only time I drove a vanagon was when I helped Gary tow one home in the middle of the night in the dark. I was in the vanagon being pulled by a tow strap, it was frightening because I had no lights and it was a
ford ranger pulling me.

Split Window build thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653099
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Love that colour and welcome to T3 world. It’s the biggest jump in manufacturing engineering in the Transporter line, imho.

Photos and paragraphs for Samba, videos for FB
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Oh man...your in for it now! Laughing

Btw, check for rust underneath the side trim panels that go around the bottom. Sometime you find some there!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

LOL I’ve been watching your excellent videos on Reddit. Nifty van though, too bad it’s surrounded by disembodied parts.
MartinG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

That's awesome Matt. Looking forward to following your adventure.
The VWLife channel needed a boost in Vanagon content anyway. Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

I wonder if Kenny is related to Hank. Ask him about propane and propane accessories.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
LOL I’ve been watching your excellent videos on Reddit. Nifty van though, too bad it’s surrounded by disembodied parts.

What subreddit is there for Vanagons? Vanagons itself has 63 subs which is useless.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:

What subreddit is there for Vanagons? Vanagons itself has 63 subs which is useless.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VWVans
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Apparently I'm already subscribed but I never see the posts. Neat.
SUTTO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

I put a comment on that youtube video that the Vanagon should have followed you home. I'd like to think that this helped turn you to the dark side.

Cheering that you went back for it, I'm sure it will give you guys some good content for your channel as you clean it up. You will be suprised with how much fun the T3s are. Very Happy
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

SUTTO wrote:
I put a comment on that youtube video that the Vanagon should have followed you home. I'd like to think that this helped turn you to the dark side.

Cheering that you went back for it, I'm sure it will give you guys some good content for your channel as you clean it up. You will be suprised with how much fun the T3s are. Very Happy

so it's your FAULT!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

You make it sound like a horrible thing!

You will end up loving it!
But if you have buyers remorse, there is someone right now seeking a Tornado Red Vanagon.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750579

Flip it quickly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Oh man...your in for it now! Laughing

Btw, check for rust underneath the side trim panels that go around the bottom. Sometime you find some there!

hopefully not, it's a Texas car. Guess we'll see.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
You make it sound like a horrible thing!

You will end up loving it!
But if you have buyers remorse, there is someone right now seeking a Tornado Red Vanagon.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750579

Flip it quickly.

Dave

yeah i had seen that thread thanks! that's how i found out about the color actually, i posted on that thread then figured I'd start this build thread! i'll probably need held along the way from the experts. should be interesting see how it drives with the jetta 2.0
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

MartinG wrote:
That's awesome Matt. Looking forward to following your adventure.
The VWLife channel needed a boost in Vanagon content anyway. Smile

thanks yeah we'll see how it goes! we just interviewed that couple who are living in the vanagon Smile
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Love that colour and welcome to T3 world. It’s the biggest jump in manufacturing engineering in the Transporter line, imho.

Photos and paragraphs for Samba, videos for FB

thanks!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

walk around video. I need to source new tires and do something with the front bumper. my guy that is doing the motor says everything looks good. we plan to find a junk yard jetta 2.0 this weekend

Link
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

NICE VAN! But why does it include a diesel oil pan in the back?

Is that the one from the repair yard you were looking at last week?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

A front bumper fix. Spoiler alert--The finished product. Look at the thread for the whole story, materials and how to.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689888&highlight=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I'm very pleased with the way it turned out and thought a few of you might like to see an alternative to the factory plate mount location. It accentuates the horizontal elements well. Although it doesn't show in this photo, I need to fill all the spot rivet dents just above the air dam and will paint that whole area flat black. I don't like the stripe of blue between the bumper and air dam. But that can wait until next Spring when the boat prep season begins again.

Your car looks terrific and will be a lot of fun. Good luck.

Duncan
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
NICE VAN! But why does it include a diesel oil pan in the back?

Is that the one from the repair yard you were looking at last week?

that is the oil pan from the seized audi 2.0 that is in it. thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: