Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

does anyone know anyone rebuilding and shipping these older model inline 4 motors?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
NICE VAN! But why does it include a diesel oil pan in the back?

Is that the one from the repair yard you were looking at last week?

that is the oil pan from the seized audi 2.0 that is in it. thanks!

BTW - the Tiico conversion did not use an Audi block. If there *is* an Audi bubble block in there, someone swapped it out after the Tiico (Block in the Tiico is a 2LR and that is stamped on the block - not a US motor at all). Are you planning on switching in the Digifant from the Jetta engine? If you're not, and you want to keep the Motronic 9.0 EFI used by the Tiico, I'm pretty sure you'll need to use the Tiico distributor (which is not pinned in place, but is adjustable to set the timing - Tiico has no crankshaft position sensor). Techtonics Tuning has the adapter (https://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1370). The 2LR is actually a 1.8L block and head with 2.0L crank and rods with 2.5L pistons.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
Longboardluv wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
NICE VAN! But why does it include a diesel oil pan in the back?

Is that the one from the repair yard you were looking at last week?

that is the oil pan from the seized audi 2.0 that is in it. thanks!

BTW - the Tiico conversion did not use an Audi block. If there *is* an Audi bubble block in there, someone swapped it out after the Tiico (Block in the Tiico is a 2LR and that is stamped on the block - not a US motor at all). Are you planning on switching in the Digifant from the Jetta engine? If you're not, and you want to keep the Motronic 9.0 EFI used by the Tiico, I'm pretty sure you'll need to use the Tiico distributor (which is not pinned in place, but is adjustable to set the timing - Tiico has no crankshaft position sensor). Techtonics Tuning has the adapter (https://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1370). The 2LR is actually a 1.8L block and head with 2.0L crank and rods with 2.5L pistons.

yes that is the case, the audi block that is in there was a replacement. I don't know what you are talking about in regards to the Digifant stuff. The plan would to keep everything computer/Tiico related and just rebuild the motor. I actually found someone in Houston that knows these quite well and it's heading to him soon. Going to take it out send it to a machine shop and get it going again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

I hope this one goes better than the last guy that knew these for you.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:
I hope this one goes better than the last guy that knew these for you.

let us hope!
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

FAS in Maine will build and ship a engine to you. It’s a easy engine to overhaul any engine shop can Handel it. It’s also a engine you can overhaul yourself. John
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
It’s also a engine you can overhaul yourself.

bears repeating.

super easy to refresh and extremely well documented online.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
82westyrabbit wrote:
It’s also a engine you can overhaul yourself.

bears repeating.

super easy to refresh and extremely well documented online.

well that's good, he's got a machine shop in houston. it bears repeating that I have no time to do this myself, between the aircooled projects we work on and filming and editing and two kids, there's just not enough time in the day.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

thats fair, there should be any number of watercooled shops that should be able to handle refurbing that thing.

theres really no need to ship in a motor from FAS thats fairly generic.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
thats fair, there should be any number of watercooled shops that should be able to handle refurbing that thing.

theres really no need to ship in a motor from FAS thats fairly generic.

you're probably right, I called around some here and it's surprising not easy to find one. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. However, my new guy in Houston is really cool, I could tell right away he loves Vanagons and has a bunch of experience with them and even these motors. He also can get the AC going. I might have him do a couple more things and mount new tires on it. So it should be good!
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Helga is going to be jealous having to share her space and her guy with younger bus!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

whobba wrote:
Helga is going to be jealous having to share her space and her guy with younger bus!

yeah if i ever get it running!
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

How's the Vanagon project coming along Matt?
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

whobba wrote:

Thanks for asking! Still in a holding pattern.
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand the holding pattern; a vital tool in the VW hobby. Takes a while to get what's needed to do it right, worth the wait.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
whobba wrote:

Thanks for asking! Still in a holding pattern.
I thought you sold that Vanagon. Did not realize you still had it... Shocked
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Quote:
s a easy engine to overhaul any engine shop can Handel it. It

Good thing the engine is in the Bach and isn’t Barochen
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
s a easy engine to overhaul any engine shop can Handel it. It

Good thing the engine is in the Bach and isn’t Barochen

Link

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

ha ha ha you guys
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OMG I bought a Vanagon what have I done? Build thread - Matt Reply with quote

Today Ian pulled the motor trans. We are now on the hunt for a good ABA 2.0 to swap out the short bock and reuse the head..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: