Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

convertible top latch mechanism
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: convertible top latch mechanism Reply with quote

Has anyone removed the chrome latch arms from the top latch mechanism? I am looking at getting the arms re-chromed but it looks like they are riveted in place. Before I start drilling and hammering to get them off I thought I would see if anyone else has been down this road.

Here are some images of the latch arm in question and the attaching points:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible top latch mechanism Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
Has anyone removed the chrome latch arms from the top latch mechanism?

Well, unless you're prepared to rivet them back on with the same size/type of rivet, I would be inclined to suggest just leaving them alone. Notice that VW used double-sided flat-head rivets on that assembly. That's because there's precious little room for screw heads or nuts in that tight location.

You know, that hook doesn't look all that bad...maybe a bit of chrome cleaner and metal polish will clean it up enough so that you won't need to take it all apart.

FWIW...plating shops usually charge by the batch, so unless you have other stuff to chrome, just doing those two hooks will wind up costing you quite a bit.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible top latch mechanism Reply with quote

The chrome hooks aren't that bad, but I don't know if I could sleep at night with the rest of the mechanism looking so drab. I would like to take it apart so I could have the hooks chromed and the rest of the mechanism cad plated. If worse comes to worse I have an extra one to work with, so I don't have to worry about screwing it up and not having a back up plan. I was just hoping that someone else has taken it apart so I would know what to expect. The button top rivet shouldn't be too hard to reproduce, but the other one would likely have to be manufactured. Might be time to break down and get a metal lathe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible top latch mechanism Reply with quote

I finally decided to drill the rivets out of the convertible top latch mechanism hooks. It was not all that difficult, though I will have to hire a machinist and get some new rivets made. With the chrome hooks off I can get the mechanism cad plated and the hooks rechromed. If anyone is interested in a set of rivets let me know and I will have more than one set made.

Here are some close up photos of the latch and rivets along with some reference images showing the location of the various washers:

The first step in removing the rivets is to center punch them. Try to get is as close to center as possible, though don't worry if it's a little off, as you can make slight corrections when drilling it out.

Next I used a 3/16" bit and drilled down about 1/8".

Then drill the hole out a little bigger using a 15/64" bit.

I put a piece of copper pipe under the rivet and used a drift pin to remove it. I like the copper pipe because it's soft and won't mar the mechanism. I found this rivet hard to remove because it gets stuck on the spacer and only comes out about 1/16 of an inch. I had to tap it back in place and put some light oil on it and let it soak in for a few seconds.

This is as far as I could knock the rivet out since it was binding up on the spacer and I didn't want to wail on it too hard for fear of damaging the mechanism.

Once the oil soaked in I drove the rivet out with no problem. The small piece of copper pipe also worked well at capturing the rivet so I did't have to crawl around the floor looking for it.

Here are the parts removed. Two thin washers (they look like brass washers. I will have to clean them up to be sure), a spacer and the round top rivet.

Here is the other rivet that needs to be removed before the chrome hook can be released.

The same procedure applies to removing this rivet as the one above. Center punch it, drill it out to 3/16", then drill it out to 15/64".

This rivet was easier to remove and did not require any oil.

Notice there is one washer on the wood header bow side and two washers on the metal cover plate side.

There are three washers and the rivet. Two washers look like brass (will have to clean them to be sure) and one is a spring washer.

Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible top latch mechanism Reply with quote

I got the latch mechanism back from the platers and I had the chrome hooks stripped, so I can go over them and make sure they are perfect before I get them chromed.

Here are some before images:

Here are the after images:

I am still waiting to get new rivets back from the machine shop and it will likely be a while before I get the hooks chromed, but I am a step closer to getting the mechanism restored.
Rbfara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: convertible top latch mechanism Reply with quote

Loren,
Thank you for detailing this process with great photos. I'm in the process of rebuilding the top for my 1960 and sharing your work has really helped me out.
R
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: convertible top latch mechanism Reply with quote

Loren,
I’m wondering if you’ve dealt with the winding handle. I had mine rechromed without pulling it apart. Initially it was good but the internal spring has failed. I’m wondering how to approach repairing it so it holds shut instead of flopping about.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Rbfara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible top latch mechanism Reply with quote

Loren, Thank you for documenting this process so well.

Sputnick, not sure if you have solved your floppy crank handle Shocked but John Copello can fix it for you, although California is a long way away.

R
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible top latch mechanism Reply with quote

Just bringing this topic back, I’m just about to start work on my crank mechanism, but does anyone have a source for replacement springs?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: