Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

You've built the suspense nicely, look forward to updates Smile

Happy birthday to your daughter too!
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

When starting a new engine, I always used a ND 30wt with GM EOS. But for my next build I will use the Amsoil break in oil. I've been using Amsoil products for 20 years and am sold. I've done oil analysis after 20K miles and the data showed the properties were still within range.

To break in a new motor, I remove the rockers and plugs to build oil pressure. Then put the rockers back on, and repeat. Then the plugs.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your amazing help. Let me say again that this is my FIRST engine build. It has been very frustrating at times. There is SOOOO much to learn and apply. About 1,000 different ways to do everything so I used my head and tried to be reasonable with advice people gave me and applied it to my build.

Tonight.....
Came home and filled it up with the 30wt Amsoil break in oil. Turned over by hand a few times and listened and felt for binding-all good!
Left the plugs out, cranked for about 10 seconds and it built up pressure pretty fast! (I had pulled the top off the remote filter and filled up as much as I could through there-probably helped prime it faster?)
Put plugs back in, hooked everything up, got the gas hooked up, loosened my timing clamp up a tad, plugged in the coil, started my phone recording......
Switched on the fuel pump and fuel a was leaking from just about every joint on my stainless fuel line kit. Ok that’s great.
Screw it. I’ll pull off the lines and just run rubber lines for the cam break in ya know? Hooked it all up and switched the fuel pump on and then the two red fuel line o rings were leaking! Wonderful.
Screw it. I’ll pull the aluminum fuel line o rings from the $200 airkewld kit I just pulled off. Put them on and tightened them up snugly.
Switched on the fuel pump, pushed starter button and...
my battery didn’t have enough juice😡😡😡
It cranks but pretty slowly. Not enough to fire it up dammit.
Ummmm, think I’m done for the night. $200 fuel line kit wasted. Expensive Odyssey 1200 battery doesn’t have enough juice. Maybe it’s a sign from the VW Gods?
Well here is a short and boring video of a very excited 50 year old man acting like a kid on Christmas only to open his gift and find socks....
https://youtu.be/V_WyzleQj5I
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Stainless hard lines like to leak at first. Theyre hard. I just did my whole car. I feel your pain. Once you seat them theyll be good. I had to tighten them more than you are supposed to.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Oh I DID! Trust........me.
Tightened them. Tried again and leaked like a bi!ch. Got pissed and took them off.
So apparently I do t know how to flare. I single flared them all. Didn’t work.
Hours worth of time I’ll never get back.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Lol!
Been there, done that. I have had a weak battery stop me a few times.

But I did warn you in one of the pm's we exchanged. You need to check everything before starting a fresh engine. Including having the battery fully charged.

You'll get it done today. The engine looks good and ready to go.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

well, I did mention a while back that those hardline kits are bogus Very Happy

patience young padawan! give that battery some juice and try again!

everyone's first engine break-in is a long and stressful process, but you will prevail.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

On my way to work. Don’t wanna fire it up tonight at 9:30. Neighbors will love that. I’m thinkin tomorrow around 11am?
Sled- I saw your post and in the back of my head I’m thinking “I told you so!”
😂

Does it matter which carb the fuel feed is attached to? You know fuel goe into one then feed over to the other? Don’t think it matters but thought I would ask
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
On my way to work. Don’t wanna fire it up tonight at 9:30. Neighbors will love that. I’m thinkin tomorrow around 11am?
Sled- I saw your post and in the back of my head I’m thinking “I told you so!”
😂

Does it matter which carb the fuel feed is attached to? You know fuel goe into one then feed over to the other? Don’t think it matters but thought I would ask

It really doesn't matter. It's just a way to get fuel from the regulator to the carbs.
FWIW, Mine has the dual connection on the left carb.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Popcorn
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

SUCCESS! (Pretty much)
Went out this morning and got ready. Battery fully charged too.
Went to crank it. Battery just doesn’t have enough ass to turn it over.
Ok I’ll just run my jumper cables from my Jeep while it’s running.
25 minute video but it runs very smooth and sounds great without ANY tuning yet!
She smoked a bit at first which is normal.....that’s normal right? 😂
About 15 minutes into the video I start seeing little “puffs” of smoke coming off of my header. I suspected it was oil hitting the header. Kept it running though.....
When I shut it down I inspected. Initially it looks like a leaking pushrod tube. Of course it’s way in the back. Thermostat was fully open that’s good.
So I guess my plan is to let it cool off fully. Drain the oil. Check on that leak.
If it’s the pushrod tube I guess the head has to come off-SUCKS.
Fix it. Put it back together and do the valves and fill it back up with fresh oil.
Put it in the car. Go for a drive up and down a hill. (We have NO hills around here though)
I’ll post the link to the video as soon as it uploads. Heads up-it’s 25 min long.
Feel pretty good about myself though. Very relieved.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

good job, Applause Applause Applause

you can put the spring loaded pushrod tubes in and not take off the head, CB makes a nice copy of Pauters. Just put the 1211 sealant on the seals, very little on the side that hits the case and heads.

Again pat yourself on the back.........
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Nice! I was just going to say its almost 11 over here Razz
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Nice job.!!!

I used a Jay Cee spring loaded pushrod tube......He will sell singles.

It saves you from pulling a head but if the engine isn't installed in the car it doesn't take too much to pull a head.

Make sure you use quality seals...there are some cheaper ones that seem prone to leaking.
I found the CB Performance white ones work well but shipping for me up here is not very speedy.

If you have a trans input shaft they are the perfect size to slide down into the pushrod tube to get it to sit straight into the head just before torquing the head down.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

A little smoke at first is normal.

100% agree on going with Jaycee, Fastfab, or CB pushrod tubes.

You could just replace the one as well.

Could also be one of your 4 lower head studs (inside the valve cover).

Congratulations on the successful start up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Yaaaayyyy.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Good work! so satisfying Smile
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

So.... where's the video ??? Twisted Evil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

Nice going 67 Sunroof. I bet you are quite relieved!

Don't put a spring loaded PR tube in to replace the leaking one.
You have not installed the engine and now is the time to address the issue.

I got lucky on my 1600 SP build. It didn't leak at all. And that engine had to be taken apart after firing. For an internal issue that I missed. Embarassed

The 2180 was a whole other issue all together. But that was before. Hopefully not this time around.

I know that you put your heart into this build. It was allot of work.
Just wait until you have the first drive. You'll be amazed, at what you have created.

Now where's the video. Some of us like the sounds and smells of a fresh fired engine.
Aw, shit! We don't have smellivision yet!..Dammit! Laughing

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan on cranking engine on ??? break-in oil question Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Nice

Now where's the video. Some of us like the sounds and smells of a fresh fired engine.
Aw, shit! We don't have smellivision yet!..Dammit! Laughing

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: