Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what cylender/piston works well for cheap?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
xxXXxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: what cylender/piston works well for cheap? Reply with quote

sorry for the basic question but i need to get started so i'll ask here now, i have acces to some basic machines like a mill and a few other thinks but nothing real special.i have a 68 stock block and was wondering what is the biggest stroke crank i could use, i want some power so i am thinking of 94mm cylenders, i will use 69mm cranks if i need to but if i could i would like to go bigger is this posible? I am looking for around 2100 cc's what would be the best way of doing this for the least mount of money. thanks for you time.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make a 86mm crank fit.

But could you afford to buy one Think

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xxXXxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could shop around and probably come up on one, so i could get the 86 to fit with or without modifications, so if i found a 86mm crank for a resonable price and i use 94mm cylenders i would have about 2400cc's that would be probably more than enough, i think i would want to go a little smaller , it will proably come down to more what i come accrossed in the area that is verry well prices. if i did get a 86 or 84 stroke crank what size or type of rods should i look for, agian, thanks.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: what cylender/piston works well for cheap? Reply with quote

Ok, the title works well for my question, but the above content doesnt match. sorry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Kit-w-liners-fits-...Sw6WleuZPQ

Anyone heard of SKP? Any notable issues? I ask b/c they hella cheap. Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: what cylender/piston works well for cheap? Reply with quote

82mm Empi crank with a set of AA Performance thickwall 92 P&C kit Cool

The case will need to be machined and rotating assembly balanced, which will cost around $400-500 altogether. That will also include case savers, bearing saddles machined if neccasary, full flow oil tapping, and they will make sure the case has no cracks.

Expect the whole build to cost roughly 5k MINIMUM. If you are wise with spending, possibly slightly less but it's also easy to spend more. Add an extra grand or two to budget just incase you need it, if an issue arises, etc.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: what cylender/piston works well for cheap? Reply with quote

how do you figure building a 2276 out of empi and AA is going to cost a minimum of 5k? or are you talking about paying someone else to do it?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: what cylender/piston works well for cheap? Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Confused

it was an old post guys
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: what cylender/piston works well for cheap? Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
how do you figure building a 2276 out of empi and AA is going to cost a minimum of 5k? or are you talking about paying someone else to do it?

I just built a 2276 recently. It was almost that much but the case and everything in it was new as well as the P&Cs, heads, rockers and fancy valve covers. I built it personally too.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: what cylender/piston works well for cheap? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
richardcraineum wrote:

I just built a 2276 recently. It was almost that much but the case and everything in it was new as well as the P&Cs, heads, rockers and fancy valve covers. I built it personally too.

There ya go, I spent a tad more than I needed to on a 2180 which I'm building myself. I only outsourced the main machine work, that plus parts cost me about 5k, I havent added it up yet as I'm honestly scared too Laughing

A turn key of this magnitude from a shop costs around 6k-9k+ done right. You figure, as a business, they probably get a little discount on some of the parts, ordering in bulk, etc. When you think about it like that you realize shops likely take in roughly a 2-3k return to cover labor, overhead, and turn a profit. Makes enough sense to me.

Maybe if one were to throw together something using only pure junk and terribly machined parts, then it could cost as little as 2k
... But it might not last as many miles as the number of dollars spent

Last edited by evanfrucht on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: what cylender/piston works well for cheap? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Ok, the title works well for my question, but the above content doesnt match. sorry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Kit-w-liners-fits-...Sw6WleuZPQ

Anyone heard of SKP? Any notable issues? I ask b/c they hella cheap. Thanks

I wonder if he ever decided to build it Laughing
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: what cylender/piston works well for cheap? Reply with quote

I ran 12 pounds of boost through those p&c’s that used to come in the blue and yellow box. I can’t remember what the brand was named.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: