Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Cooler Wiring
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the prior owner put an external oil cooler with a fan on this car. I will remove it eventually, but I want to make sure it was done right.

I there was no thermostat, so I have one now to put in.

On the car, how do I tell which hose would be the oil inlet vs outlet.

Can the 12v Keyed power be the positive side of coil?

I like the on off light indicator. Where do you mount one in the car.

Thank you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

Put the t-stat on the outlet side, then the oil will warm up faster, and the fan will run less.

Also run a ground to the t-stat switch, and let that ground 86 on the relay on/off. Run the keyed 12v straight to the 85 on the relay. It usually makes for less wire runs, and it is easier to wire that way. Less current running through the t-stat switch.

Brian
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

Thanks Brian. On the car, how do I tell which hose would be the oil inlet vs outlet. Can the 12v Keyed power be the positive side of coil?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

DesertG wrote:
On the car, how do I tell which hose would be the oil inlet vs outlet.

Follow the hose from the engine. The one that exits the oil pump is the outlet of the pump.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

Thanks Glen, here is what I have. Does the prior owner have the (broken) thermostat on the line in?

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

With a 1600cc engine as in your signature I would immediately remove the auxiliary oil cooler and install a dog house oil cooler and shroud, no matter what the cost and eliminate all you extra baggage and head aches. The way the cooler is mounted up against the package tray there is not very much room for cool air to circulate around it. I'd bet your engine would run a lot cooler with a factory dog house cooler and shroud.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

Looks like the stock non-dog house cooler was remove and this is the only cooler.

I'd go back to stock or convert to a dog house oil cooler and remove the remote one. It's probability not needed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

Best solution is as others say, just replace what you have with stock cooler...

With the adapter that is on engine the upper hose is "OUT" of engine and "IN" to cooler, the lower hose connection is "IN" to engine and "OUT" of cooler....

Don't know what the device is in hose, everyone does this sort of thing different/non standard...

Relay polarity in real life does not matter.... Unless it had a diode across the coil windings... The current passing through the coil creates a magnetic field which causes armature to move, closing a set of contacts that is all it is... And Yes technically 85 should be ground or negative and 86 should be 12 volts or positive by DIN standards ...

And yes cooled where mounted so close to bottom side of package tray is very poor for air flow... It makes it almost useless.... It needs more air gap for air flow...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

On your electrical drawing, usually #85 on the relay is ground, and #86 switched power. Sometimes it doesn’t matter, sometimes there is a diode in the relay and it does. Just fyi
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

Thank you guys. Can the 12v Keyed power be the positive side of coil?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

DesertG wrote:
Thank you guys. Can the 12v Keyed power be the positive side of coil?

I wouldn't. If the fan kicks on and blows a fuse the car will die. Could be a problem driving on a busy street.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

the fan will be connected to a relay
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

I don’t see a problem running it off the coil. It’s such a small current needed to activate. Just fuse #30 from the battery and you’re good.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

After reading more, I am guessing the prior owner added this oil cooler because of 1600cc and no vents on the deck lid. Not sure.

I am going to rewire this weekend. Which way should the fan spin. Sucking air down or blowing air up through the heat exchanger.

Also, if anyone added the light to let you know the fan is running, where did you mount one. I like the idea.
Thumbs Up

Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

you should put the thermostat on the "IN" hose to the cooler.
If you put it on the out, it will cause it to "short cycle" and wear out the relay real fast.
Better to have it control the fan based on oil coming right from the motor as it will be most accurate and it will stay on continuous until temps are brought down (no short cycling).
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

thanks Tom, yes, will run from Oil In line. Which direction should the fan blow..
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

DesertG wrote:
thanks Tom, yes, will run from Oil In line. Which direction should the fan blow..

instructions on my last one said either way will work. All depends on where you want the hot air to go.

On my Dune Buggy, I mounted the oil cooler in the spare tire well (behind the drivers seat ) flush with the body. I have a switch on the dash so I can reverse the fan blowing the heat inside the buggy if I get chilly. Works fantastic...
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Cooler Wiring Reply with quote

Thanks Tom!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: