Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bench vise
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Bench vise Reply with quote

In the market for a new bench vise, any recommendations ? No flea markets or swap meets up here, so that route is out. Would prefer Made in USA. Thanks.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
In the market for a new bench vise, any recommendations ? No flea markets or swap meets up here, so that route is out. Would prefer Made in USA. Thanks.

I got my latest one from a Craigslist ad, was on my way home too. Like $25 for 5" vintage Craftsman unit, in perfect condition.

Maybe some of these for made in USA
https://www.amazon.com/bench-vise-made-usa/s?k=bench+vise+made+in+usa
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284091995003?chn=ps&n...QlEALw_wcB

I like this one. The V-shaped jaws can hold tubes easily, and the rotating head helps position stuff in a way that is easier to work with. My only complaint would be the base swivel isn't very smooth, you really have to loosen it quite a bit to swivel it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

Mounting is important. I found mine at a yard sale for $25.00 and they threw in a small anvil. Here is one like mine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254737998416?chn=ps&n...R6EALw_wcB

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Mounting is important.

As for bench vises, I mount that to my workbench. And I mount my bench grinder to a 2x4, then mount that 2x4 into my bench vise as a handy "mounted" bench grinder when I need to use that !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

Been using this American made vise for at least 25 years and it was used when I got it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a metal plate under the workbench which acts as a stiffener so the load is carried over a large area not just the two mounting bolts.

This is the one to have if you have time to wait for right one to come along. http://sdwike.smugmug.com/photos/i-SfSbS9P/0/L/i-SfSbS9P-L.jpg

It’s the Wilton bullet and they came in different sizes. The Wilton story goes back to WW2. The govt wanted a vise that was idiot proof and indestructible. This is it and they went to all the defense contractors and military. At wars end they hit the scrap heap and were auctioned off for pennies. Wilton then started selling to public as well so there are still shit loads of these in use. Each one is date coded and you can find them cheap if you look. I’d also look for Reed brand and Anthol. Craigslist and eBay and Etsy Facebook marketplace. Etc. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2...AdAAAAABAD

So reading this you’d think these fucking things are made of gold. People know what they are and they do bring a little more however I bought one a few year ago for 45 dollars, that’s a steal. Beat the bushes they are out there.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:22 pm; edited 9 times in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

Buy a GOOD vise
OR, get a cheap import one but get it two sizes bigger than you need.
Both good ideas.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

New Wiltons are like $600 and up!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

So don’t buy new, find the one for 45 bucks
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

Do a search under Peddinghaus / Matador. Made in Germany. Forged and the guide has adjustment. It will never wobble L to R when closing the jaws. They usually have wider jaws compared to American vises and are a lot lighter . Top-notch design and around for decades. Some even have flip-up pipe holder jaws. I will try to post a picture later on. They are also sold under different names, Homedepot shows some under the name Ridgid. Appears to be the same manufacture.

Last edited by Tvättbjörn on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

Get an old Wilton.

Or anything old...
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

You guys have given great advice , would love an old school one, but do not forget, no flea markets / swap meets up here. At the mercy of the interwebs.

Gonna keep looking.

Shanks.
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

Google "Vermont flea markets" it'll show a bunch all over the state.

Not saying they're all open but, it's worth a check. Wink

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
You guys have given great advice , would love an old school one, but do not forget, no flea markets / swap meets up here. At the mercy of the interwebs.

Gonna keep looking.

Shanks.

Try craigslist, offerup, facebook marketplace. Also you can just ask around and talk to locals/neighbors and see who has a bunch of junk they might be trying to sell. You may just get lucky... it happens Wink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

http://www.swapmadness.com/search/vermont-swap-meets/all/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COLUMBIAN-D44-M2-...3916130829

This listing looks like the one https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/d/saugerties-bench-vises-approx-80-in/7278625949.html

Vermont is also home to Hemmings Motor News. They are all things auto and tool related. A very underused resource especially for VW people but if you look there’s a fair amount of goods and services available there. I once bought a W deck lid from a man so drunk he could barely speak for 45 dollars and that included shipping. Since then I’ve been a subscriber 😀
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Z.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Gonna keep looking.

Shanks.

just let your friends in Far Western VT, area code 518 , what you need and we will hook you up, or grip your vice, or whatever you like.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

Wilton. Also old Irwin USA ones are nice too. And old Craftsman. I would suggest eBay but I’m sure shipping would be outrageous. Also on my other forum called Garage Journal they have a for sale section sometimes someone will post one in there too. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

I’ve got a theory that most of these vises not scrapped during the metal drives of WW2 or used for boat anchors are still taking up space. You don’t have to pay a premium for these things.

So versatile a tool I use mine to build the crankshafts and then short blocks. I can do cylinder heads, and a range of smaller items. I also opted for the copper jaws so I don’t leave tool marks Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bench vise Reply with quote

I will build a vice befor I will pay what morons are charging for them nowdays... but I have plenty of them any way. I think the one I paid about $30 or less for now would sell for about $300, and I bought it new.
I seen probably more busted and welded up "good old american vices" than the china shit....I have seen a few of those that were broke in half too. Im not sure why some people get so stupid and drive the prices up for everybody else.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: