Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Like the post says.
What's the weight difference between chromoly vs HD aluminum pushrods?
I know there is a lotta variables as to what brand or wall thickness . . etc. etc.
A roundabout average is what I'm looking for.

Since I'm on the subject of weight, why can't "ALL" companies that offer light weight lifters give a specific weight of the so called light weight lifter . . . that is super annoying.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Don't get too obsessed with weight, yes it is a factor but a strong ridged pushrod that has little to no deflection is more important. I list the weight of my pushrods in my ad.

Dan

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Dan+Ruddock
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

I have seen HD aluminum PR's yield (the tip pushes in and mushrooms the aluminum). They certainly have their limits.

The only place I can see for HD aluminum is a mild (ramp) cam application with mild springs.

But hey, that's how they did them back in the early days.
They made cams with really soft ramps that would allow the use of soft springs and stock pushrods.

I feel like we need more cam grinds like this now-a-days.

Folks want a high revving motor, but don't want the hassle of top end services. Someone needs to offer a special line of cams that will work with light springs and pushrods.

i.e.: a Quite cam.

One of the oldest performance motors I have worked on had a cam with 318deg duration and only .350" valve lift.
Stock pushrods and shimmed up stock springs. Stock valve heads with dual Solex 40-P11's.
Believe it or not, that thing would rev up and not complain one bit.
Great road racing motor that could rev up all day long for years.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
I have seen HD aluminum PR's yield (the tip pushes in and mushrooms the aluminum). They certainly have their limits.

The only place I can see for HD aluminum is a mild (ramp) cam application with mild springs.

They made cams with really soft ramps that would allow the use of soft springs and stock pushrods.

Folks want a high revving motor, but don't want the hassle of top end services. Someone needs to offer a special line of cams that will work with light springs and pushrods.

One of the oldest performance motors I have worked on had a cam with 318deg duration and only .350" valve lift.
Stock pushrods and shimmed up stock springs. Stock valve heads with dual Solex 40-P11's.

Have you seen the Webcams Dan Ruddock has ground?
86/86b with added duration for exactly this purpose I believe.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

You can have a cam that is noisy as hell with mild main lift ramps and a cam that is quiet with harsh beat to hell main lift ramps. The first .015" of lifter movement is what determines how much valve noise you get and after that the rest of the profile can be very harsh or mild. Seen cams both ways.

Last edited by Dan Ruddock on Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Ohio Tom wrote:

Have you seen the Webcams Dan Ruddock has ground?
86/86b with added duration for exactly this purpose I believe.

Yes you are correct, an 86 +3 would have about 240 @.050" and if used with 1.3 rockers would be a very quiet, durable, and gentile combo and you could run berg HD singles with berg retainers.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Don't get too obsessed with weight, yes it is a factor but a strong ridged pushrod that has little to no deflection is more important. I list the weight of my pushrods in my ad.

Dan

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with weight but for a current
project / experiment it is at the top of my list.
It's very refreshing that you include all this information in your ads.
Thank you for that.

For years I've always gone with heavy duty everything. This time I'm going in the opposite direction.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with weight but for a current
project / experiment it is at the top of my list.
It's very refreshing that you include all this information in your ads.
Thank you for that.

For years I've always gone with heavy duty everything. This time I'm going in the opposite direction.

Like to know what the use and what the combo will be.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

The aluminium push rod issue is just as much rpm related as spring tension related. If the engine regularly sees 6000+ rpm I would recommend going taper PRīs no matter if you use HD sgl or dual springs. The only exception toi that would be if the entire valve train is light weight, and spring pressure at no more than 250 @ 1"
I have a high power 2165 engine out that has TP 60 gr. lifters, thickwalled 3/8" aluminum PRīs, Cryo enchanced Oteva S75 springs w. 240 lbs@ 1" and Ti retainers. It is bumped with a Web 86C ground on a slightly fatter lobe. It hits the limiter at 7200 and sees 7 grand quite often. There is no signs of stress or flex after 3 seasons. So I consider that OK.

It is correct that with more ratio on the rocker arms the weight of the lifter becomes less important, but not so much less that you can just throw "anything" in there. The lesser the weight the lesser "rigid" the rest of the valve train needs to be. Apart from that I agree with what Dan said.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

In my search someone pointed out the lifter and pushrod don’t travel as much as the rocker side of things (retainers and valves) so it’s better to reduce weight on the rocker end. By all means reduce weight where you can of course.

I went with beehives this round. I like the light retainer, lighter pressure on spring. Also matched it with a web 252 (266 @ .050 version) from Dan. Also using CB 1.4 rockers.

Haven’t put motor together yet.

I did see some wear on CB HD pushrods using dual vw springs, web 163 and 1.25 rockers. I didn’t see such wear using the ACN pushrods.

Just some thoughts.. pushrods are easy to change. I’m starting light/quiet and if I see wear from flex I’ll goto chromoly but I don’t think I will.

Last edited by ekacpuc on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
The aluminium push rod issue is just as much rpm related as spring tension related. If the engine regularly sees 6000+ rpm I would recommend going taper PRīs no matter if you use HD sgl or dual springs. The only exception toi that would be if the entire valve train is light weight, and spring pressure at no more than 250 @ 1"
I have a high power 2165 engine out that has TP 60 gr. lifters, thickwalled 3/8" aluminum PRīs, Cryo enchanced Oteva S75 springs w. 240 lbs@ 1" and Ti retainers. It is bumped with a Web 86C ground on a slightly fatter lobe. It hits the limiter at 7200 and sees 7 grand quite often. There is no signs of stress or flex after 3 seasons. So I consider that OK.

It is correct that with more ratio on the rocker arms the weight of the lifter becomes less important, but not so much less that you can just throw "anything" in there. The lesser the weight the lesser "rigid" the rest of the valve train needs to be. Apart from that I agree with what Dan said.

So.....based on your experience and Dan ruddocks comments and Ohio Toms comments....to the three of you....what in your mind constitutes an HD aluminum pushrod?

Is it diameter and wall thickness?
Example: type 4 pushrods are something like 12mm in diameter and an ID of only about 1/4 of that. Hard to mushroom....but at,some point you get flex.

Or......is it alloy? There is a huge difference in hardness and stiffness between something like a 6061 and 7030.

Or is it treatment and structural design?.....meaning is the alloy post production hardened and or....is the shape structured for strength like the tapered pushrod?

Or some of all of the above?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Sadly I for one do not know enough about metal and treatments, but I would say all of the above. The combinations I refer to are tested and found bad, ok or good.
The type 4 PRīs are crazy strong, but they cant handle much lift. Thatīs why they do not get reused more in the type 4 world
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Ekacpuc what sort of wear did you see on those CB hd pushrods?
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Sadly I for one do not know enough about metal and treatments, but I would say all of the above. The combinations I refer to are tested and found bad, ok or good.
The type 4 PRīs are crazy strong, but they cant handle much lift. Thatīs why they do not get reused more in the type 4 world

I used t4 pr’s in a t1 engine with .575” lift back in the early 90’s. I removed the stock ends and put full ball ends on, stollen from a set of cm pushrods. Worked fantastic, quietest performance valve train I have ever heard. Used waterboxer big mouth tubes. Bugguy1967 is doing the same thing right now after I told him about the idea. I will post a pic of one of the pushrods.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

I used t4 pr’s in a t1 engine with .575” lift back in the early 90’s. I removed the stock ends and put full ball ends on, stollen from a set of cm pushrods. Worked fantastic, quietest performance valve train I have ever heard. Used waterboxer big mouth tubes. Bugguy1967 is doing the same thing right now after I told him about the idea. I will post a pic of one of the pushrods.

Cool!

Most of the type 4 cam kits come with custom cut to length chromoly PR kits. Strong...yes. but also will never be as quiet. And....never quite as tightly adjusted as I can get with the stock type 4 for runnning stock D-jet (I adjust my valves hot to minimum hot lash setting).

So for something just a bit hotter than stock but still "stockish".....web 73 or Raby 9550/9590 cam, stock 66mm stroke, 42 x36 valves and about 8.5:1 compression and single HD-ish springs......I really could just get away with stock type 4 PR's.....if the length/geometry is correct?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
Ekacpuc what sort of wear did you see on those CB hd pushrods?

When I go home for break I’ll see if I can find one and post a pic. Was your typical ring around the shaft from the pushrod flexing/deflecting.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

The ball ends added extra length over the stock ends.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
[youtube]

Laughing Laughing Laughing there's always a solution:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/youtube]
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

For the OP: 88-100 grams versus 55g. The lightest I have gotten aluminum dual tapers was 40g. The narrower you build your engine, the stronger your pushrods become.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The weigh-in? chromoly vs HD aluminium? Reply with quote

Dang Bugguy. Thatīs nice. Good idea Dan. I never went in that direction due to lack of tips. Might wanna look into that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: