Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

210/215 mm Flywheel
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: 210/215 mm Flywheel Reply with quote

Hello,

My 1.7 engine (from a 1970 914) came with a 210 mm flywheel.
I recently purchased a flywheel from the classifieds to have as a back up. It was advertised as a 210 but when it arrived, turns out it's a 215mm - will it fit/work in place of the 210?

Thanks,

Jeff
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 210/215 mm Flywheel Reply with quote

yes but requires a 215mm clutch and pressure plate to match with it.
210 & 215 fit in the 002 bellhousing.

ohh and waves from next door in Syracuse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 210/215 mm Flywheel Reply with quote

Thanks Dan- and thanks for the upstate wave.

The strange thing is that the flywheel I bought came with a 210 mm clutch and pressure plate. Maybe my measuring skills are poor but this one looks like 215 to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 210/215 mm Flywheel Reply with quote

Easy way to verify: if the measurement is close and hard to tell, if the screws for the pressure plate are m7 it's a 215mm Bus flywheel, if m8 it's 210 Bus unit.

Your photo might be of a 914 flywheel. Can you post a wider photo?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 210/215 mm Flywheel Reply with quote

Actually....it really does not require a 215 disc. you can use the 210 with both the 215 flywheel and PP.

bear in mind that over high miles...you will eventually wear a 2.5mm ridge on each side around the diameter.

The 210 and 215 are the same casting. Same friction area as well. Its just that they machined the edge of the PP seating ledge to allow the 215 PP to drop in.

So to not worry about bolts....they went to 7mm bolts instead of 8mm.

I have tapped one of my 215 flywheels to 8mm....with no running issues...so I can use either 210 or 215 pressure plate and disc.

I have routinely used a 210 disc with a 215 flywheel and PP....no issues.

In reality...you can....if you drill out the holes on a 215 PP to 8mm...use the 215 PP on a 210 flywheel. Just have to chamfer the opening by about 1.5mm. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: