Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Been reading many posts, researching and looking at builds from this site. Some really good information but ya'll already know this... OK, on to my 1st post.

I just purchased a 69 Baja Bug which I am currently in the process of determining options for ball joint substitution. I have a vacation home in Baja and plan to explore, offroad, and adventure from Cortez side to pacific. The car will see much abuse from Baja roads, washes and extreme offroad conditions.

First order of business is a roll cage which has been ordered, specs 1 5/8"x.120" wall DOM Tubing. I have experience welding and own both a MIG/TIG welder, plasma cutter, and cheap tubing bender from Harbor freight.

I have read the stickies on this site in regards to BJ to LP conversions and have narrowed the conversion down to 2 options.

1. Cut Ball Joint Frame head and replace with Link Pin frame head, purchase after market wider Link Pin front end and build up.
2. Another option would be to cut frame head and tie in cage and fabricate A-Arm conversion.
3. keep ball joint option (not an option)
4. ??

Once I have a plan for the front end, I will match the IRS with wide/lengthened rear suspension, Disc Brakes, and other necessary mods.

Mike

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mnewman on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

This may do better in another forum... cool car though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:

Thanks! HBB offroad forum ?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

mnewman wrote:
anthracitedub wrote:

Yes.
You'll get great answers from builders that know what they are doing. The standard VW threads are geared toward restoration and street mods. <Kinda.

If you can figure out how to adapt the LP front beam to a later frame head. That would IMO. Be a way better setup than the BJ beam.
Also the "A" arm conversion would be a good choice for long travel on the Baja roads. But that would take a lot of fabrication effort to get right.

Oh, and welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
mnewman wrote:
anthracitedub wrote:

Yes.
You'll get great answers from builders that know what they are doing. The standard VW threads are geared toward restoration and street mods. <Kinda.

If you can figure out how to adapt the LP front beam to a later frame head. That would IMO. Be a way better setup than the BJ beam.
Also the "A" arm conversion would be a good choice for long travel on the Baja roads. But that would take a lot of fabrication effort to get right.

Thanks for the warm welcome Wink

I think I am going the LP Frame head option. If I can get 16" inches of travel out of the front/rear I think that'd would be enough for what I am looking todo.

Should I contact the moderator for moving this post (need to wait another day as I am not allowed to contact yet) or just repost? Don't want to spam it up.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

mnewman wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
mnewman wrote:
anthracitedub wrote:

Yes.

Thanks for the warm welcome Wink

I think I am going the LP Frame head option. If I can get 16" inches of travel out of the front/rear I think that'd would be enough for what I am looking todo.

Should I contact the moderator for moving this post (need to wait another day as I am not allowed to contact yet) or just repost? Don't want to spam it up.

I just sent a note to the admin to request moving this thread to the Offroad /HBB forum.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

Here's a current build that might interest you ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878&start=638

He removed the frame head and went with a beam front end.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

Sletten Engineering has some You Tube video's posted that shows them converting a Ball Joint frame head over to Link Pin. They build and race Class 11 cars so know how to do things right.

The modification doesn't look that difficult, just the standard measure, re measure, cut, test fit, weld.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1366970
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Here's a current build that might interest you ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878&start=638

He removed the frame head and went with a beam front end.

Not sure how I missed that post in my post milling the last couple days but that is spot on in terms of reference for my project. Muchas Gracias Senior!
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1366970

Those A-Arms look sweet, now my wheels are really spinning (pun?). I'd need to extend the cage to support the A-Arms but this give me some really good options to choose from. Some how I missed this ad this morning because I went through every page looking for this exact option.

Much appreciated.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

I would do the link pin conversion run 4 inch longer arms and go with an 8.5 stroke coil over
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

77charger wrote:
I would do the link pin conversion run 4 inch longer arms and go with an 8.5 stroke coil over

Thanks for the suggestions, a lot has happen in a short period of time.

I have an A-Arm kit ordered. Ordering a 5x5 microstub and disc conversion for the rear.

Decided to pull the 1600 VW motor and have a 3.2 VTEC and wiring on the way.

Cage will be delivered today which will be my foundation for the front and rear suspension build.

I'll post pictures of the build process.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

Update, as of today the transition from someone's concept (which I like) to my concept has begun. I will try and keep as much of the body/paint as I can.

* Body is now off the Car
* New Body Pans to be delivered today
* Rhodes Cage to be delivered today.

This weekends plan of attack... cut out rotten pans and if able, start mocking up the roll cage.

BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

i like those front tires, its getting harder to find ones like that. at least ive had trouble...
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel options Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
i like those front tires, its getting harder to find ones like that. at least ive had trouble...

I planned on selling the wheels and tires as I'll be going to 5-Lug. I need them to "roll around" the quonset hut and lift but if your interested let me know.

Mike
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Pans are screaming to fall out, look at all that daylight!

Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

You're not messing around. Looking forward to seeing this move forward.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Driver's side tacked up! Pray to little baby Jesus all the holes line up.

Pray Pray Pray

The highlight of the drivers side was the tiny bit of carpet soaked fuel and the plasma cutter. While I was cutting, I asked myself ,"Did I just hear a whoosh sound?" haha. Also, that tar covering is a PITA!
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

mnewman go to the photo gallery and look at my pictures of my car for ideas.

More pics in the photos. I am very happy with my car and I hope you will be too.

Ed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: