Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Haven't posted in a couple days. Still pluggin away on the build. Got my Mendeola 4E out of the buggy for the mock-up of the mounts/Location at full droop. Big thanks to Maddward for all the questions I've been asking, been a huge help learning the suspension "ropes".

Had to modify the mounts to in order to fit the stock frame horns.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got the motor mounted to the trans. I ended up notching the body to clear the throttle body of the J32A. I wanted to keep the air filter in the cab. Others flip the intake 180 deg, so there alway that option if needed.

Here you can see about 3 deg of angle from the back to the font of motor.

Looking down the tunnel, I have more than enough room to fab up the shift linkage but needed to wait until the Mendeola 2D is in my possession.

Next up Rear Cage, supports down to the frame horns, purchase axle shafts, cycle suspension, and finally mount the coil-overs in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Looking good. Bugs going to be a lot of fun. I'm guessing you will use limit straps to get the final angle of the axles?
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

c54fun wrote:
Looking good. Bugs going to be a lot of fun. I'm guessing you will use limit straps to get the final angle of the axles?

Limit straps for sure. Right now it's 1" before the mechanical limit, an ange where the torsion conversion plates will make contact torion mount. I plan to limit the axle angle to 24-28 degrees based on the race prepped CV's I have. I fitted some tubing to get an Ideal of the angle now and it's roughly 28 deg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

mnewman wrote:
c54fun wrote:

Limit straps for sure. Right now it's 1" before the mechanical limit, an ange where the torsion conversion plates will make contact torion mount. I plan to limit the axle angle to 24-28 degrees based on the race prepped CV's I have. I fitted some tubing to get an Ideal of the angle now and it's roughly 28 deg.

With 28 degrees you will have ALL the travel Smile
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Yes, 28 deg is the limit, as long as the CV's don't "Clack". I might try and limit to 26 deg and have some "wiggle" room.
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

You're making quick progress! Keep the updates coming
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Made some good progress with the Rear Cage in the last couple days. I had to rework one side, I was not happy with the way it it came together. After cutting out the tack welds I found I made mistake in one of my bends, it was 2 inches off from being symmetric with the other parallel side. Live and learn. I am still having a blast with all the fabrication.

Indian Name: "Stands on own legs"

I have about 2K in parts in route from P2R motorsports to wake up the J32A2. Headers, CNC Ported intake runners, intake riser, fuel rails/AEM fuel pump/regulator, and water pump. These engines have about 20 Cooling lines extruding from the water pump! I will get it down to 2 hoses for upper and lower radiator with P2R's replacement, which also has the EGR Delete.

CV's and Axles are mocked up, I will cycle again tomorrow and post some numbers.

Still a long ways to go but I am trying not to get ahead of myself. Once I have the headers and 2>1 exhaust installed I'll begin the rear engine cage, down tubes for frame horn supports, and some triangles to firm everything up.

Mike
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Looks awesome. Great progress for sure.
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

I asked this question earlier, and you answered but now that you are a roller, what is the exact width of the front end? What wheel offset?

Thanks in advance
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Bad_chopper wrote:
I asked this question earlier, and you answered but now that you are a roller, what is the exact width of the front end? What wheel offset?

Thanks in advance

74" in front running 7.5 tractor tires. I plan running 12.5 tires all the way around so I estimate it'll be close to 79-80" wide. The wheels are method MR103's wirh a -25mm offset.
75baja714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Why not cut old frame horns out and fab new ones.
Arnt the stock frame horns a weak point. And with all the new weight of the new motor dont you think they will bend. I had a sand toy back in the day and that’s the first thing that broke. We removed frame horns went with some big dom tube and upgraded bigger thicker pivot boxes for the arms and never looked back. BTW you are doing a badass job brother keep it up!!!
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

75baja714,

I entertained the idea of fabbing up the Frame Horns, but they are integrated with with the inboard IRS mount. I did not want to go down that rabbit hole (yet). To help support the frame horns, down tubes will be welded from the Rear Cage (which is in process) to the Mendoel cross member mounts aft and forward.

The increased weight is roughly 150lbs assuming the J32A weighs 360 lbs and I took off about 50 Lbs of bullshit (AC, PS, traction TB) but we can leave that on for fun.

Mendeola 2D weighs 150 lbs, J32 350lbs for a total Engine/Transaxle weight of 450 lbs.

Stock 1600 is about 250 and the type one trans is about 100 for a total of 350.

More pics to come soon!
75baja714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

I hear you. I busted irs pivot box and frame horns so it was a must. And 100 lbs extra I was thinking it was gonna be a lot more. Not bad keep it up brother waiting to see the progress!!!
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

75baja714 wrote:
I hear you. I busted irs pivot box and frame horns so it was a must. And 100 lbs extra I was thinking it was gonna be a lot more. Not bad keep it up brother waiting to see the progress!!!

Thanks for watching, and please keep the suggestions coming, "I don't know what I don't know" Shocked

BTW, what happen when you broke yours?

Mike
75baja714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

We cut them off. Cut the pivot boxes off. Got new pivot boxes and ran some tube for the frame horns. I’ll see if I can get some pictures.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

75baja714 wrote:
We cut them off. Cut the pivot boxes off. Got new pivot boxes and ran some tube for the frame horns. I’ll see if I can get some pictures.

Right, but tell me about the failure haha. Did you launch, or did it just give up after time?
75baja714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Got a Boulder on accident busted spring plate. Ripped arm off. All bad here some pictures

mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

yeaowch! That must have tickled. Looks like you got it back together nicely.
mnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

While I wait for seats, engine parts and other needed items I decided to change it up this week. I started thinking about parts that I wanted powder coated and decided wtf... I'll build a powder coating oven.

Pulled the whole oven apart (mistake) and got the bins out. Needed to cut the bottom out of the top and the top out of the bottom. In hindsight I should have left the bins in and used my plasma. Now when I look at the oven I start to itch from the experience with the insulation.

Took some 16 gauge sheet metal and frankenstein'd it back together.

It's not pretty but I it'll work. I spent 100 on the oven and out 50 on other items to finish it up. Doors should be done tomorrow when hinges and locking clamps arrive.
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 69' Baja Bug Mid/Long travel build! Reply with quote

Great idea. That would be nice to be able to do some powder coating at home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: