Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going for my first Westfalia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emily_is_going_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

Hey all! I’m new here and super excited to be part of this community! I’m finally getting the vehicle of my dreams!

We are looking at a couple Westies today and tomorrow. Any advice or a short list of items to look for while inspecting these vans?

This will be my main transportation. I’m very hands on and like to think I can pretty much fix and repair anything. I’m a mom too so safety is key as well.

Ok! That’s my spiel! Now I’d love to hear from experienced owners!
And thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Wesfalia Reply with quote

What budget range are you shopping in? This will significantly vary the “things to look out for”

Vans that need work - $6500-15,000 ( anything goes ... )
Vans that mechanically should be solid - $15,000-23,000 ( good interior, paint could use a refresh, some seam rust expected, no rust underneath )
Vans that should mechanically and visually be nice - $23,000+ ( good interior, good paint, no rust signs anywhere )
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Wesfalia Reply with quote

Replace your fuel lines, get a bentley manual...
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

Take a look in the FAQ's

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

There are many topics that will interest you.

Have fun and enjoy the journey.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Wesfalia Reply with quote

Welcome to the Insanity! If you go to the top of the homepage for this forum, you will see the frequently asked questions (FAQ) sticky. Go ahead and open that up, the second heading under general information has a buyer's guide. There are lots of things to look for such as rest in certain problem areas and other things to watch out for. If you post pictures of these vehicles, there are lots of knowledgeable members here who can point out things both good and bad. Good luck!

Hans
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Wesfalia Reply with quote

As a general rule of thumb the major wear items on these vans and replacement items for reliability as related to expense / cost for the item and or repair - again these are reliability and safety items as opposed to ‘bling’ items. You want to find a van that had these things invested in first vs fancy bumpers, solar, etc

Rebuilt or upgraded Engines are a good thing ( $3500-20k+ )
Rebuilt transmission is a good thing ( $1250-4500 ) add $400 for updated trans cooler
Upgraded coolant hoses- new rubber and steel long pipes ( $1200-2500 )
New front end bushings and other hardware - ( $1200-2200 )
New suspension; springs, forks, bushings ( $800-2500 )
Upgraded wheels and tires ( not really essential but costly ) ($750-$2500)
Fuel tank reseal or replacement if needed ( $150-700 )
Exhaust repairs or replacement ( $150-1200 )
Water pump replaced ( $400-800 )
Radiator replaced ( $200-800)
Fuel lines replaced ( $100-300)
AFM replaced or rebuilt ( $250 )

Living space - only necessity is tent replaced ( $250 diy, $1000 shop )

These prices vary based on region and some are priced as DIY. There are many more small things to be done to get a reliable van, but these are the high ticket items. Both of my vans are my daily drivers and weekend travel vans. About 15k miles a year.

If I was buying a van already fixed up these are the things I’d look for. I typically buy broken vans and do these things, drive them a few years, get bored and start over.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

This is serious test driving advice, even if kind of sounds like I'm being facetious.

Floor it.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

Emily_is_going_Westy wrote:
We are looking at a couple Westies today and tomorrow. Any advice or a short list of items to look for while inspecting these vans?
This will be my main transportation. I’m very hands on and like to think I can pretty much fix and repair anything. I’m a mom too so safety is key as well.

Normally I advise buyers new to a type to simply pay the $$$ to have it professionally evaluated by a pro mechanic who works daily on that model.
You buy peace of mind if you have a great vehicle and any flaws found can be used to negotiate the price down on a less-than-perfect vehicle

However, it sounds like you may be sufficiently talented and experienced to use this: Vanagon Buyer's Checklist

Safety note: Not good news here as these antiques lack many of the modern safety advances like ABS/TC, airbags, extensive front-end crush zones, and rear seat head rests that you'll find in later model vans.

Good hunting!

You can pay us back by posting a story with pictures of the Westys you pass on and the one you eventually do buy and why.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:

Normally I advise buyers new to a type to simply pay the $$$ to have it professionally evaluated by a pro mechanic who works daily on that model.
You buy peace of mind if you have a great vehicle and any flaws found can be used to negotiate the price down on a less-than-perfect vehicle

However, it sounds like you may be sufficiently talented and experienced to use this: Vanagon Buyer's Checklist

Safety note: Not good news here as these antiques lack many of the modern safety advances like ABS/TC, airbags, extensive front-end crush zones, and rear seat head rests that you'll find in later model vans.

Good hunting!

You can pay us back by posting a story with pictures of the Westys you pass on and the one you eventually do buy and why.

From a crash safety aspect they were one of the safest vehicles on the road for their time, for their time...

The Western Syncro build
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

If conditions allow I would examine the coolant level in both tanks in the engine bay while the engine is still cold and then again after a long hot drive. You are looking for an increase in coolant level beyond the small amount attributable to expansion. Specifically, a combustion leak in a cylinder will push 'air' into the cooling system that will first show up as too much coolant and later as an air pocket in the pressurized tank.

I mention it as this is an often over-looked fault at time of purchase that can be expensive to discover later.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness, Emily!

DO read the thread by the DIY young lady in Chicago to see how things can go wrong, and the make sure they dont.

You dont need a lot of crash protection in SoCal as you roll at 15 mph at the Y

Very Happy

(Moms house in Laguna Beach)
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

Body work is a lot more expensive than mechanical work. A clean van with a hole through the engine block is going to be cheaper than a rusty van with a good running motor.

$3k for a good rebuilt motor vs $8k for rust repair.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

Using a westy as a safe reliable daily driver?

This should be interesting!

Get ready to spend spend spend.

Or, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably get something newer for similar money.
Though I guess it depends on your budget initially, and what your expectations are after you've signed the papers... Tinkering on these is a great hobby!

Spending $25k for one that's going to need a good bit of babysitting (either by you or by someone else for $150/hr) may sour you on it. So adjust your expectations accordingly Smile

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

Emily, welcome to the forum!
There's a lot if naysayers on here it seems. Perhaps their justified by their experiences or the bad luck is their karma...
How's your karma?
You can have an incredible positive experience with these vehicles!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

I drove a westy as a daily driver for decades. As all older vehicles it needed a lot of maintenance and I supplied it. I learned a ton along the way.

It is now no longer my only vehicle but I still put 15,000 miles a year or more on my buses. They are cheap transportation compared to buying a vehicle every 5 years but only if you are the mechanic.

The Western Syncro build
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

My van is quite reliable and a joy to drive. Like many have said, the key is keeping up on preventative maintenance. There are many vans listed for sale that have tons of accessories, widgets, and shiny trinkets added, but the basic maintenance lags. It’s worth having a van inspected be a professional that is used to working on them. Keep in mind most mechanics have never seen one.

Feel free to post pics and we will help point out as much as we can see through the internet. Don’t go into it naive, a good reliable Vanagon will approach the cost of a modern car, either in upfront costs or repairs after the purchase.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

And thanks!

Shit, I'm about to sound like Bob Hoover.....

Don't buy a Vanagon as a first time owner, with kids, as your primary transportation without a backup vehicle. And as to the comment about "Karma", mine is fine, and I've never broken down in any vehicle, ever. And I'm not knocking on wood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

Welcome to the site!

You've probably noticed that not every owner has had a great experience!

These are antiques.
As such, condition varies wildly with older ones often in better shape than newer ones.
There is no rule of thumb, it is all individually assessed.

There is a young mother who has a Westy and is an active member here.

Follow this link and read her experiences as a positive feedback source.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=311780

To have a good experience boils down to shopping wisely and without getting caught up in the excitement of the moment while looking at one.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Welcome to the site!

You've probably noticed that not every owner has had a great experience!

Dave

Perhaps I should clarify. We have had a FANTASTIC experience. My almost 7yo boys have over 400 nights and 60k miles in a Westy, first a Vanagon, now an LT. Canada, US, Mexico. And in that time we've met a lot of broken down and often unhappy dreamers.

My advice stands: Don't buy one as your primary transport as a first time owner, parent, with aspirational but untested wrenching skills.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Going for my first Westfalia Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
My advice stands: Don't buy one as your primary transport as a first time owner, parent, with aspirational but untested wrenching skills.

The third owners of my van bought it when she was 9 months pregnant, had just bought a house that they were renovating, he had just started a business. She had been using the van to shuttle the kid to/from daycare and to/from work (but it was essentially his van). It needed A/C work, then trans work, then this, then that... they could no longer afford to keep it and she didn't like daily driving it with the baby. So, a year and a half after buying it, they put it up for sale so that they could buy a modern minivan.

I'm not saying don't buy one, but the above is a cautionary tale of know what you're getting into before getting in too deep.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: