Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hub Caps
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Hub Caps Reply with quote

Embarassed I have never claimed to be much of a DIYer. In putzing around to install a new passenger side seat belt, I accidentally fixed the old one. Rolling Eyes

That gave me confidence to move on to installing my new hub caps. Heck, I have done this with my Fords in the olden days, and I have done it as recently as a year ago with my daughter's Tiguan. (I realize in some cases they were wheel covers, but whatever ...)

I am having a devil of a time putting them on my Sinka. Maybe I'm just being too much of a baby and afraid I will damage them. I searched here to see if someone else ever admitted to being so inept. Nope. I searched YouTube but the closest I saw were (1) '66-'67 Beetle hub caps (different), (2) wide-five studded wheels (with their clips), and (3) someone putting Moonies on an Airstream.

I was tempted to post this in the "Official lazy person's stupid question thread" thread but I didn't want to interrupt what's going on there, and I wasn't really being lazy -- just inept. I suppose I could have started the "Official inept person's stupid question thread" thread, but maybe this way someone else can search the results here without having to go public.

FWIW, the feedback of the seller of these caps were positive from T2 and T3 owners, so I felt okay with the purchase -- still do. I think it's me. They just seem a mm or two from just popping on.

Any suggestions?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

The stock chrome vw moon hub caps take a pretty good whack. A rubber mallet wrapped in a rag. You need to hit the edge while you hold it in place. Obviously you don’t want to dent them.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The stock chrome vw moon hub caps take a pretty good whack. A rubber mallet wrapped in a rag. You need to hit the edge while you hold it in place. Obviously you don’t want to dent them.

Do I tuck the cap's edge over one nub of the wheel and whack the other edge? Or do I line the cap up and/or whack it differently?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

It’s been a long time, but I remember hooking one or two so at that point the hub cap is cocked, then you are snapping it over the last nub.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Do I tuck the cap's edge over one nub of the wheel and whack the other edge? Or do I line the cap up and/or whack it differently?

I just did mine. I hooked it on a couple of the top nubs and then whomped the opposite side not yet clipped on with the butt of my open palm. Being careful not to dent it.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! I'll give a whack tomorrow. Cool
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

And once you get it on there you can ponder how you will get it off. If it is the "stock chrome vw moon hub cap" with a pair of holes in the rim, there is a tool specifically for that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

I hear they are easier to install on silver wheels than on Black wheels. May just be a rumor?

Put them up and smack them with the side of your hand. Same cap for 68 and up bugs/ 71 and up Bay window / 80 and up Vanagon / 68 up Ghia and T3.

Just like when your dad used to reach over the back seat and smack you.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

Not exactly sure what hubcap is used on a Sinka. Are they this style found on my 74 bug and late Bays? If so. The best way is to line it up even and whack it dead center on the VW logo in the middle. I use the side of my fist. I’m sure a rubber mallet would work to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

I didn't get the chance to give it a whack today after all. I have an appointment with my orthopedist on Tuesday, and he'll be giving me a whack -- putting me out of commission for a few weeks. The only thing I did Sinka related in my rush to do errands before I get whacked is get a couple of opinions on bed liners.

I have the hub cap pull. I had one that I kept in the jacking point of my '71. I took it out when I went from stock wheels to BBS wheels on it. I couldn't find it in my boxes of VW leftovers. I'm now thinking it went with Thing when I sold it. Whatever, I bought one the looks like the pic above rather than the one I guess I no longer have.

This is why I'm surprised I struggled with the hub cap install. I didn't have this problem with either my '71 or my '74.

My wife suggested using the painted (and dinged to hell) hub caps that came with Sinka for practice. Gonna do just that.

My dad never smacked me, so no reference there for me. My mom's smacking was of the psychological variety. Tried that with the hub caps. Didn't work.

I do have a rubber mallet. I'll try the center positioning, center whack method, too.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

Just go full “Fonz” on it, at the jukebox. Don’t over think it 👍👍 Wink

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Don’t over think it 👍

With that approach, here's my likely outcome:

Link

Shocked
Laughing
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Don’t over think it 👍

With that approach, here's my likely outcome:

Link

Shocked
Laughing

Dang me. I Gotta rethink my hubcap installation technique Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hub Caps Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
...I do have a rubber mallet. I'll try the center positioning, center whack method, too.

I would be very wary of hitting the center - especially if it is an aftermarket cap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: