Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AustinA_43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

Is anyone on here running wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and plates? I’m wanting to buy a set to put onto my 68 bay window bus and I was wondering what’s needed to be done to make them work properly. I know I’ll need longer axles but will I be able to use stock length shocks too? The bus currently is raised with beam adjusters up front and reindexed torsion bars in the rear but I’d like to have a bit more clearance as I am going to be doing a lot of off-pavement driving when I’ll be going through South America on the pan American Highway. Plan on calling wagon west Monday to ask directly but was just wondering if anyone on here have used there stuff

Last edited by AustinA_43 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

I have no idea because I neither raise or lower buses. I will suggest that this has been done before so what you need to do is learn from other people who have already made expensive mistakes. As Busdaddy said this past week somewhere, every time you make a change it affects other things as well.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

I don’t see why you wouldn’t use it with its stock height. My bus was sagging in the rear when I got it (it was sitting for 10+ years), I raised it up like 6* (I think) installed new bushings, KYB gas-a-just shocks and it sits nice and lever now.

I live in southwest Colorado and drive in the mountains everyday. Often we are on forest service and 4x4 roads and I never have a problem with clearance even with my deep sump hanging down. Now I’m not trying to go 4wheeling on the Amasa Back trail in Moab, but for everything else I find a well sorted stock suspension works nicely.

I’d be spending my money on a nicely built stroker with a rebuilt transaxle and a Kennedy clutch. But everyone is different.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

This guy would be a good source

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8901

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

AustinA_43 wrote:
Is anyone on here running wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and plates? I’m wanting to buy a set to put onto my 68 bay window bus and I was wondering what’s needed to be done to make them work properly. I know I’ll need longer axles but will I be able to use stock length shocks too? The bus currently is raised with beam adjusters up front and reindexed torsion bars in the rear but I’d like to have a bit more clearance as I am going to be doing a lot of off-pavement driving when I’ll be going through South America on the pan American Highway. Plan on calling wagon west Monday to ask directly but was just wondering if anyone on here have used there stuff

I took my stock height 77 Westfalia platform and added the WW lift kit. I also have 15" 215 off road tires on ET 37, stock is 38. I did need to get longer rear shocks. The rear lift plate changes the distance from mounting points for the shock. I ended up with KYB 344079. You don't need fronts as the mounting point for the shock is on the arm not the spindle assembly.

About a 3" net in center hub to bottom of dog leg under the door. Overall lift is like 6".

The drive shafts are EMPI floating ones that have no C lip pin holding them.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honkadori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

i also just ordered the lift kit from wagenswest. raised spindles and plates.

@notchboy read your entire thread about how you met your bus. very nice read!

any chance you can send me a link to the cv joints and drive shafts you are using? also. before you switched to longer shocks you said you used shock extensions in the back. where did you get those from?

thanks!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

honkadori wrote:
i also just ordered the lift kit from wagenswest. raised spindles and plates.

@notchboy read your entire thread about how you met your bus. very nice read!

any chance you can send me a link to the cv joints and drive shafts you are using? also. before you switched to longer shocks you said you used shock extensions in the back. where did you get those from?

thanks!

I got the CV's and shafts from WagensWest. They are offroad EMPI brand. Not sure what the specs were.

The shock exstensions were a fail. Didnt work. I ended up buying some longer throw shocks. I also bought four - only need two for the rear as in the front the spindle has all the lift in it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honkadori
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

thanks jason! ill ask nate from wagenswest if he can get the cv joints for me.
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

Will keep an eye on this thread as I'm looking to raise mine as well

Currently standard suspension with 215/75/15 BFG AT's but looking for a little more lift, the back end is sagging a little, even lifting that back to normal would help a little

I was just going to index the rear, but I'm guessing the plates would be better for it
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon west 2.5” lift spindles and spring plate questions Reply with quote

With the raised spindles, did you have to buy longer brake lines or upgrade anything else? Or does everything just bolt on to the new spindles as is?

I'm running 225/75/16 Load E Goodyear Wranglers on the back and need more clearance to add them on the front too. The WW spindles are pricey but I like the raised look and with the belly rad set up on my swap, the extra clearance will be nice as we get a lot of wash out areas along the FSRs that we frequent.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: