Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Bug - Air Cleaner
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charitha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

I just bought this SuperBug about a month ago and i'm going through cleaning it all up and doing some repairs. The bug has not been driven for a very very long time!
the engine is out and i just removed the aircleaner for a respray. while i was cleaning the components, i found out that that the linkage between 'Cold air flap' and 'servo arrangement' is missing, it's either it has been missing when i got the car or i have some how misplaced while removing the bits and pieces.

i understand it's just a very simple mechanism that's actuated by vacuum, but i'm just wondering whether anyone knows how the two two pieces are connected from factory.
i have not been able to find any photos or diagrams of this assembly in detail

cheers
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Here you go!

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, this was a 1972 one year only air cleaner. Those little plastic vacuum assemblies can tend to be brittle with age, so be careful!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Almost right Late 1971 -1972.
Charitha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Thanks so much guys, this is exactly what i wanted to see. thanks for the pictures.
so i will have to find a way to make this work, i dont think i will have much luck finding a replacement flap with the linkage arm.
yeah, i'm still sort of trying to figure out whether the bug i have is a 71 or a 72, the plate says 71 manufactured, but may have been registered in 72. it's a SuperBug here Down Under
i have first tested the diaphragm by sucking out the air, but the arm had very little movement as i ran out of breath Smile, then what i did i connected it to a vacuum line on my 98 Mitsubishi Challenger. Diaphragm works perfectly.
Charitha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Does anyone have an unwanted flap/plate like this, who could ship to Australia? i could pay for the part and shipping. Thanks in advance
cheers
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Put an add in the classifieds and check the little box that says "this is a wanted ad". Borrow a picture of a good one from the gallery - bet Buggee would oblige w/his. They're definitely out there in there in the US, many-many-many '72s were sold here.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Put an add in the classifieds and check the little box that says "this is a wanted ad". Borrow a picture of a good one from the gallery - bet Buggee would oblige w/his. They're definitely out there in there in the US, many-many-many '72s were sold here.

Looks like a part that could be 3D printed and glued on.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Charitha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

ok great. thanks for the tip. i'll put an ad up.

hmm 3D printing, didn't think of that. Thanks for the idea
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Another option, if you are not dialing in the originality, is to purchase a '71 only air filter with its own little thermostat. I have one in my '71 and also in my '70 (to avoid the cable mess).
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
Gitchigumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

First, take a length of tubing, attach it to the vaccum nipple on the canister and suck real hard to determine if the membrane inside holds vaccum and doesn’t leak. They can dry out and develop cracks.
Second, the thermostat device on top of the oil filter housing may be inoperative due to dried oil vapour and other mung. I posted pictures of how to dismantle and clean one some time back in, 2010 or 2011 I think. Will see if I can find it. Try cleaning it first with WD40. Inside are a simple bimetal strip and tiny ball valve in the port from the carb vacuum line and a rubber stopper type valve on the vacuum out side.
If you dismantle the thermostat, the two vacuum hose connections are threaded and unscrew, be careful not to lose the tiny ball valve......speaking from experience.

When “cold” the bimetal strip holds the ball down, preventing vacuum from being applied to the vac canister. As it warms up the metal strip releases the ball valve allowing vacuum to open the flap you are missing the link for.

Ron (Gitchigumi)
Gitchigumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545503&highlight=

This should take you to the post I did on the thermostat. Good luck....Ron
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

OP - if you get the thermostatic valve tested and still want the flap I have one for you. I think you'd be better off sourcing a 71 Super air cleaner, but if you've really got to have it let me know.

Gitchigumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Just looked at mine, will attach pics. You are not missing anything. The end of the flap inserts into the opening at the end of the plastic “rod” that attaches to the diaphragm. It should move up and down....in and out, opening and closing the flap just as it is in your second two pics......unless I am miss-understanding what you are referring to as missing.
Gitchigumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Just reread your post and see you have a good vac can. The plastic vac “rod” only moves in and out about 1/4 inch or so and moves the flapper enough, probably around 30 degrees or so.
Gitchigumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Pics I took this morning. Its -20C here today. Wish I was in Aussie land right now!

Hope these help.

Ron
Gitchigumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Must be the cold. Just realized the pics of an intact flapper were not yours and that the one of your flap is missing the metal connection. Still wish I was in Aussi land though...Ron
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Can you actually drive the Bug in -20??? Shocked

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
pmriverrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Can you actually drive the Bug in -20??? Shocked

Had a '55 that I drove from '61 to '66. Winter in Michigan back then got down to -30C. Had the throttle wire freeze at WOT once but it always started and ran when a lot of the locally built stuff wouldn't.
Gitchigumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bug - Air Cleaner Reply with quote

No problem at -20C, but she sits in the garage in the winters now. The old girl has earned that. She's a 75 standard bug with a 72 motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: