Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘73 SB won’t start...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Hey all. Back for another round of QnA. Bought my SB last July and really enjoyed driving it until Mid-December when I covered it and let it sleep until now that the weather has turned. I put in a new battery in the late fall and drove it until winter hit. Fast forward to yesterday when I tried starting it up...turns over fine but I can’t get it to start. Pulled the air cleaner and hit it with a shot of starter fluid but still nothing. I’m waiting on a spark plug socket so I can check for spark. In the meantime, anything else I should be looking for/at? Thanks as always for any insight.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
Pulled the air cleaner and hit it with a shot of starter fluid but still nothing.

Yep, next step is to check for spark.

GratefulPhish wrote:
I’m waiting on a spark plug socket so I can check for spark.

You don't need to pull the plug to check for spark. Have helper crank the engine, pull coil wire from distributor cap and hold that 1/16" from engine ground/metal, look for spark. If you get spark, try similar with one of the spark plug wires.

Also let us know if you have points or not. And whether you get 12 volt positive at coil positive terminal #15 when key is in the "run" position.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I pulled the coil wire and held it near the distributor clip. I got a spark every second or third time the key was turned.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I’m thinking of getting a Bosch coil to replace this thing ^^^
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Remove the distributor cap and look at point gap and check cap inside for moisture. Look down carb. and open throttle and watch for stream of gas. I hope you added some gas stabilizer before parking it.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Can confirm small stream of fuel in carburetor when the throttle is engaged.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

OK Now all you need is spark at the right time. Do you have points or electronic module? Do you have a timing light? Chain auto part stores loan them.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

The coil looks like it should be replaced IMHO and replaced with the proper coil. The electrical wires from the distributor to coil look like they were cut and reconnected due to the bulge in the tape cover. Remove the tape and make sure there is a proper soldiered connection and covered separately.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I was going through a box or parts from the previous owner and found the old points, I currently have an electronic ignition.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by GratefulPhish on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Why is the wire going to the coil all taped up?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Why is the wire going to the coil all taped up?

I haven’t dug around in there.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Not sure if it’s a coil or distributor issue. If I replace the coil with a new Bosch should I return to points or kept the electronic ignition?
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Stick with the points, learn to adjust them. You don't learn anything from electronics except to replace failed parts.
Stick with stock all around.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

That coil is part of a set (distributor w/ electronic ignition + coil).
Not sure I would mix-match a different coil unless you were certain the distributor would work with a different coil.

I suggest you check the voltage at the ignition coil (+) terminal WHILE the engine is cranking. It sounds like the voltage may be dropping while the engine is cranking. The electronic module may not tolerate low voltage well. Unlike mechanical points which can still fire a spark with as little as 9.0v... solid state electronics designed for 12.0v may not work reliably if the voltage drops below 11.0v.

This might explain why the coil wire only fires sometimes.

Have you tried jump starting your Beetle. Yes, it may not need a jump start to crank the engine, but connecting another battery in parallel (jump) will make more current available so the voltage loss at the coil is less.
If it helps, and the voltage is low at the coil while the engine is cranking... then you need to clean up your wire connections to minimize the current loss between the battery and the ignition coil.
You might also take your battery to the FLAPS and have them load test it. I realize it is new, but you would not be the first person to get a dud battery.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}

Last edited by ashman40 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Thanks so much for chiming in. Please excuse my ignorance regarding this stuff. I love to fix and tinker but lack the background to do it without help, hence my questions! How do I test the coil correctly with an ohm meter? Which terminal is the positive? Embarassed
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Jumping did not work. The engine is turning over fine but won’t fire up.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
Which terminal is the positive?

Look at the coil. There are many wires connected to the two threaded terminals. The positive terminal will have the following wires:
    Primary black power wire coming from the main harness. This wire is usually slightly thicker than other wires.

Black wire to the idle cutoff solenoid on the left side of the carb. A daisy chained wire may run from the solenoid to the choke coil on the right side of the carb.

Black wire to a fuse holder in front of the carb. This wire continues around to the right side of the fan shroud before exiting to the top of the transmission. This wire runs to the reverse light switch.

Normally, the red wire for the distributor electronic ignition connects here.

The negative terminal will normally have just one wire... the black wire running to the distributor electronic ignition module. This is not a ground wire. It is the trigger wire that allows the electronic module to trigger the coil.
If you have a tachometer, it will also connect to this negative terminal. And if you still have the diagnostic plug wires connected there may be a small gauge striped wire connected here as well.

GratefulPhish wrote:
How do I test the coil correctly with an ohm meter?

Using an ohm meter (not a voltmeter), remove all the wires from the ignition coil. Test the resistance between the two threaded terminals of the coil. A stock coil will have between 3.0-4.0ohms of resistance. Stock points and many electronic modules require this much primary resistance in the ignition coil or they will burn up. High performance coils will have lower resistance in the 0.5-1.5ohms resistance range.
Place one probe into the HT wire post. Place the other on the negative threaded post. With a stock ignition coil you should see 5000-10,000-ohms of resistance.

In case you were wanting to measure the voltage....
Set your meter to read DC voltage in the 20v range. Place the red probe on the ignition coil (+) threaded terminal. Place the black COM probe on the distributor body (ground). With the ignition switch in the ON/RUN position you should read around 12.5v at the coil terminal.
Have a buddy crank the engine while you continue to measure voltage. The voltage at the coil will drop while the starter pulls current from the battery. With a good battery and wiring the voltage will drop to around 12.0v. On older cars, a drop to 11.0v should still be okay. Lower than 10.0v and the electronic module may stop working to fire the coil. So even if the engine is cranking there is insufficient voltage to fire the coil and start the engine.

To confirm if this is the problem... run a jumper wire from the battery post to the coil (+) terminal. Use the battery jumper cables to extend the battery post to the engine. Run a jumper wire from the jumper cables directly to the coil. This bypasses the long run of the ignition switch circuit.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I read on another forum that someone had similar symptoms and it ended up being an issue with compression or lack there of causes by flooding from related attempts at starting. They had success after pulling the plugs and adding a bit of oil inside to recreate the back pressure needed for combustion. Does this make sense to anyone or seem like a possibility in my case?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
I read on another forum that someone had similar symptoms and it ended up being an issue with compression or lack there of causes by flooding from related attempts at starting. They had success after pulling the plugs and adding a bit of oil inside to recreate the back pressure needed for combustion. Does this make sense to anyone or seem like a possibility in my case?

Not too likely. I vote for stock distributor (with points) and a real coil.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

What would you recommend, any links you can provide? Surprised
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: