Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘73 SB won’t start...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I also noticed that when I turned the car off there was a 1-2 second jittering of the engine.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

OK check for 12 volts at wire if so you need a new cut off solonoid, it cuts off the gas by closing idle circuit to make the motor shut off and not run on (old smog control problem).
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Would this also interrupt the starting sequence from operations correctly?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Yes.
Turn the key to run, remove and then re-connect the blue wire at the fuel cut off valve at the base of the carb. You should hear an audible click when power is applied.

If not, it's not working.

But even if it wasn't working correctly, the engine should still fire with a shot of gas or starting fluid, even if it's just a second.

Honestly, I think you need to trash that distributor, coil and electric pick up. They are not good quality, and getting replacement parts will be tougher than normal.

Even a $35 Chinese 009 with points and a regular coil might be better. (But definitely not optimal.)

I won't trust electric pick ups anymore. Tried them twice, been stuck twice.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I’ve got 12+ volts tested at the idle cutoff solenoid but no click. I guess the solenoid must be defective.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
I’ve got 12+ volts tested at the idle cutoff solenoid but no click. I guess the solenoid must be defective.

Time for a new one.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

You can pull the solenoid, and perform the same test. The little plunger should shoot out and in when power is applied.

Not that I recommend such action, and if the solenoid is actually bad, you can cut off the plunger and just screw the body of the solenoid back into the carb body to plug the hole.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I’m going to replace the solenoid and battery ground because it’s really worn. I’m also going to add a transmission ground because I can’t find one anywhere. Hoping that will cure this starting problem.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Replaced the solenoid today as well as a new battery ground. Brushed the body until it shined and reconnected the ground. Tried starting and it turned over great but wouldn’t fire up. Finally it caught and I have it some gas while it was idling, I got caught putting some tools away and it stalled. Tried starting it and it turned lever like crazy, the whole car was moving but wouldn’t start. Tried twice more before the kids needed my attention. I can’t for the life of me figure out what’s going on.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

That solenoid still isn’t functioning...I have power to the wire that connects to it but it doesn’t pull in when the key is turned. Does it need to be grounded to check? I sat it on the distributor and took a video and it didn’t seem to work.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
GratefulPhish wrote:
What would you recommend, any links you can provide? Surprised

First - I'll ask (1) exactly what carburetor you run, and (2) does that carburetor operate OK?

Then I'd look at this chart.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My own two VWs (1835cc and 1600cc DP engines) run German 009 distributors from the 1970s (with points), and I know one cannot go back in time for those....

Not sure how to find that specific info. I only see EMPI 34 P-3 stamped on the side.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
That solenoid still isn’t functioning...I have power to the wire that connects to it but it doesn’t pull in when the key is turned. Does it need to be grounded to check? I sat it on the distributor and took a video and it didn’t seem to work.

Yes, you need to ground it at the threads.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Is this distributor aligned correctly?

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:

That all depends on IF your distributor drive gear (under the distributor) has been installed CORRECTLY.

Your timing mark is about 5 degrees after top dead center (5 ATDC). So if your rotor is pointing the way shown and the #1 valves are both closed, then the rotor is pointed correctly. However, the distributor BODY is typically rotated more clockwise , but most important that the #1 spark plug wire is placed in the position over the rotor at near TDC.

Folks here won't like the EMPI carburetor, and what's up with the giant hold down screw for the distributor???? Got any photos of the engine compartment more zoomed out?

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
I took the tape off and found that they are each connected with a wire nut. Not ideal but the connections are complete.

I would recommend you remove the wire nuts and replace them with crimp on butt connectors, or better yet, solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing to insulate them. Wire nuts have no place on a car where the vibrations could cause them to loosen. If the red wire to the distributor came loose while driving and touched ground, the wire would catch fire and likely lead to an engine fire.

GratefulPhish wrote:
Can I replace that component of the distributor? The part that has the red/black wire?

The distributor you have does not look like any Bosch model I have seen before. It may not accept stock points or the aftermarket points replacement kits. You can try to buy a set of points, just make sure you can return them if they don't fit. Not sure you can mount the condenser to the outside of the distributor either as there are different condensers for different model distributors.

GratefulPhish wrote:
I’m going to replace the solenoid and battery ground because it’s really worn. I’m also going to add a transmission ground because I can’t find one anywhere. Hoping that will cure this starting problem.

GratefulPhish wrote:
Replaced the solenoid today as well as a new battery ground.

GratefulPhish wrote:
That solenoid still isn’t functioning.

All of the above could be caused by a bad engine ground. The engine grounds thru the transmission which is grounded by a strap at the front end like this:

If you cannot find one running between the transmission and the frame/chassis you need to add one. Without this, the engine/starter is grounding thru the clutch cable and accelerator cable, which are not the best grounds.

GratefulPhish wrote:

Normally, the vacuum canister is aligned to "face" the rear of the car like this:

But as long as you can rotate the distributor body a bit back and forth to adjust the ignition timing it really doesn't matter how it is oriented. There are certain positions where the fuel pump or carb will interfere with vacuum canister movement. You don't want the distributor in those positions.

You can rotate the distributor body in 90deg increments and then move the spark plug wires around the distributor cap but you will need to re-adjust the ignition timing. I would first get the engine running reliably before you try to fix this. If you change the distributor position now and you still struggle to get the engine running you won't know if it is cause by the change you made to the ignition timing. One change at a time.

Did you get the idle cutoff solenoid working? The idle cutoff stops the flow of fuel to the idle circuit when the ignition is turned OFF. When they fail, they prevent fuel to the idle circuit which prevents the engine from idling or starting.
Remove the solenoid and test it outside the carb. Ground the body and give the terminal 12v power. Test it at the battery terminals so it gets max current. I believe the plunger should retract when power is added.
If the solenoid is dead, you can clip the tip off the plunger and reinstall it. In the bottom right of the below pic you can see three solenoids lined up. The 1st and 2nd solenoids are the same type but the plunger tip has been clipped off of the 1st solenoid:

With the tip removed it will no longer be able to cutoff the fuel flow, but it will no longer prevent fuel from flowing which is what a failed solenoid does. Your engine may run-on after you turn off the ignition but it should idle normally. This is a workaround for a failed solnoid until you can get a new working one.

I had a problem on my old Bug where the corrosion of the old stock wires was so bad that the amount of current that made it to the engine (ignition coil) was insufficient. This meant that when I tested any single device it would work and test ok, but when all devices were drawing current from the single black #15 wire at the ignition coil + terminal there was insufficient current for all devices to work. The engine would die when I placed the transmission in reverse because the reverse lights would pull current away from the ignition coil. If I powered my timing light from the ignition coil it would also draw enough current away that the coil stopped firing.
Test this by using your battery jumper cables to extend the battery posts to the rear of the car and bypass the ignition switch. Remove the #15 black wire from the ignition coil and use a jumper wire to power the ignition coil + terminal directly from the battery jumper cable. This should give the ignition coil and all other devices max current. See if this makes a difference for the coil, electronic points, solenoid, etc. This bypasses the entire ignition switch circuit. To shut the engine off you will need to disconnect the jumper wire.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}

Last edited by ashman40 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

I tested the solenoid by ground it with jumper cables to my number. Turned the key and the plunger worked perfectly. Reinstalled it and the car fired right up! I let it run for about 15 minutes but couldn’t take it for a ride, unfortunately. I’m hopeful that the problems are fixed for now.
My next step is to try bypassing the coil as mentioned above to check for voltage loss.
If the issue is resolved, my next step is to replace the coil and distributor with these from jbugs. Thoughts?

https://www.jbugs.com/product/40611.html
https://www.jbugs.com/product/186504.html
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Not sure if I read it but looking at the plug wire they look old and have little rips in the insulation. As far as buying the new coil and distributor if the problem is solved why change parts. That's just asking for more problem. If you want new part, get an bosch svda and bosch blue coil, That is what came on the car.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

It was recommended earlier in the thread to replace my current coil/distributor because they are cheap autozone parts...

Looks like the Bosch svda is no longer available online.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

"If it ain't broke... don't fix it." Smile

I'm thinking the suggestion was made when the ignition was suspected as the cause of your non-starting problem. But if fiddling with the idle cutoff solenoid got your car running once more... then you may have found your issue.

I'd still add a transmission ground strap if you really don't have one.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘73 SB won’t start... Reply with quote

Yes, I need to get under there and check. I have a new one to install just in case. Thanks for all of the time and discussion, it’s really appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: