Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 Oval rear wings - Uk
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugman125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: 57 Oval rear wings - Uk Reply with quote

Hello all, I'll apologise if this is a regularly discussed topic but I'm only just re-entering the air-cooled scene having taken some time away.

I've just started by 57 Horizon blue RHD project and now hunting for parts.

I need to replace all four wings, and I've decided to go with BBT front replacements which seems easy enough and readily available.

The rear fenders which also need replacing seem to be a trickier thing to source. I don't believe BBT sell rear wings but Klassic Fab do however now trying to get your hands on a pair in the UK is almost impossible.

Is anyone else having the same issue? I've emailed Classic Fab and they are unsurprisingly sighting Brexit as a reason, for them to export some to me from Spain means I need to have a VAT number. They could send some Via Columbia but shipping and export basically doubles the price, I'm not paying over a grand for two rear wings.

Are there any other decent quality rear wings anyone would suggest using without having to resort to 70 quid repops? or anyone know how to get Klassic Fab rear wings another way?

Ideally I'd find a decent pair of originals but again they don't seem easy to come by.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
j-sou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Oval rear wings - Uk Reply with quote

I got a pair of the KF front Oval fenders and am VERY disappointed in them. I wouldn't purchase the rears even if you had the opportunity to. It's not worth the gamble. After hearing such good things about their Bus parts, I thought the oval fenders would be great. Not the case. d'oh! Maybe they have improved them in the last few months, but I wouldn't potentially waste a bunch of money finding out. It sucks because I was going to purchase a pair of rears also... Rolling Eyes

Did I read somewhere that BBT is working on split and oval rears now? If so they might be worth waiting for! Maybe someone else can confirm or deny this. In the meantime I'd put a wanted ad up and hope for finding an original pair in good enough condition to work with. It might take a bit to find a pair, but would be nice to know you have the correct fenders for the car. My rears are going to need a ton of work to save... Ugh.

Good luck with your search!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Oval rear wings - Uk Reply with quote

So far in my restoration I have used Klassic Fab, Autokraft, Virtanen and Wolfparts. The Klassic Fab are OK, they fit more or less, the Virtanen need hours of reshaping to get them to fit and the Autokraft are a waste of time. Compared to the rest Wolfparts are a miracle. I am starting to look for pan halves for my '54 and am at a loss what to do.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: