Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler Fabrication & Design
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Has anyone welded up their own muffler from scratch? What did you do and how did it work?

I'm working on one now. After doing some research I came up with the following design but am looking for any input or feedback before I dive in.

The crosshatched shaded in parts are perforated tube. I will stuff /wrap some stainless steel wool packing in a couple areas but I'm not sure which yet, also I'm unsure about the little v shaped peice on the left.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

No less than three chambers to avoid drone. Check

Four into one header using a long collector length, I have had best results with LONG muffler with perforated tubes, the inlet tube perforations running over 18 inches and being more gradual.
Works better than a long tube with a short/fat muffler at the end.
Short muffler for short collectors, long muffler for long collectors... Kinda makes sense IMO
But I have not found a way to use long setup on sedans.

But on my tri-y the inlet tube of the muffer is just a short shub. It does not need a long collector length. At least not the way it's tuned now.

HIGH performance system that comes out the cutouts! WOW
I think it's impossible, but don't let me stop you from trying. Very Happy
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

From what I've read, steel wool isn't great for muffler packing, even if it's stainless. May want to double check that, but you may be better off with a purpose built muffler packing material (4 stroke dirt bike muffler packing, pretty nice stuff)

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
From what I've read, steel wool isn't great for muffler packing, even if it's stainless. May want to double check that, but you may be better off with a purpose built muffler packing material (4 stroke dirt bike muffler packing, pretty nice stuff)

Hmm... I read up on it a little and didnt really find anyone who said anything bad about it... it seemed people like it because it doesn't burn out like fiberglass. But I did not go that far...

I'm curious where you read that and more about it's pros/cons.

Initially I didnt plan to use any packing but part of me thinks it will help quite it down. My other car is loud and I want this one to be quiet.

The stainless wool I got is very coarse and is meant for muffler packing. Or atleast was advertised as such
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Packing absorbs higher frequencies but does not do anything for low frequencies. IMO it is the low frequencies that are annoying to hear.

Carbon itself also absorbs high frequencies.
A muffler with zero packing will sound a bit tinny at first, but that tones down with time as the carbon builds up inside.
A bit of fiberglass in there might even that out, if it blows out at the same rate the carbon builds up Wink
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Man that’s crazy! Making your own muffler!!!? I hardly knew that was in a muffler?
I used to have a very expensive “Trust” brand muffler with an anti-reversion chamber I think it was called. It had the exit go back around the side of the muffler and then enter it AGAIN!?
What would that do?
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

It has a small chamber muffler ,then a glass pack at the end , it’s still louder than I’d like .
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Man that’s crazy! Making your own muffler!!!? I hardly knew that was in a muffler?
I used to have a very expensive “Trust” brand muffler with an anti-reversion chamber I think it was called. It had the exit go back around the side of the muffler and then enter it AGAIN!?
What would that do?

I have no idea what that would do but it sound's cool Laughing maybe the idea is that it gets muffled a second time, or maybe infinite times? But if it keeps going around in circles through the muffler, where do the exhaust gasses exit? Just kidding Razz

Ya, I know it's fairly uncommon for people to build their own muffler. The responses I get when I tell people I'm doing this are basically, "wait, don't you have to buy those?"

I'm just diving right in. Trust me... I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing... Twisted Evil but from what I read about how auto manufacturers design mufflers there is a lot of trial and error involved. It's basically impossible to predict how a muffler will act or sound, so they make it a bunch of different ways and then test them out in real life. I pretty much have my fingers crossed hoping it will sound good Laughing
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Man that’s sweet looking.
I guess it wasn’t an anti reversion chamber muffler. It was on a Comptech header I had but works for mufflers as well.
You can also “step” headers....start smaller and gradually step the diameter up a tad to produce more torque I think?

https://crateinsider.com/using-anti-reversion-to-create-free-power/

Here is a similar design..

And more...just giving you some ideas....

1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989

Last edited by 67 Sunroof on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
hendersoned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

I have built a number of 2 chamber mufflers with no stuffing/packing. I used 16 ga. galvanized sheet and cold galv paint on the welds. I used bent deflectors and kept all the holes/passages that same size as the exhaust (2") for an off road car, not too loud but i drive it offroad...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

the only real problem is that you build it special enough, you will not be able to buy a replacement.
If it is a prototype that does not work out, then it's no problem, but it if DOES work.
That means you will have to fix it when it rots out.

And the motivation is hard to find.

So the only solution I can see.... is change the design to a new experiment, and let the cycle repeat until you end up building a different design that works good again.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

With 1 muffler you will always have that piece of crap high pitched whistly sound in the upper rpms that VWs make. No matter what you do it will be there. It might sound decent inside the car but outside it sounds crappy. I have seen some of the most famous vw pioneers driving their hotrod vw going through the gears with their fat boy style muffler whistling away fart canning it up and they think its cool. The exhaust speed is so fast cause the muffler is so close, And its a 4 cylinder. Having multiple mufflers like wreck shown is good, or split into 2 mufflers. Just want to give u a heads up before you spend 30 hours on the 1 muffler and it still has the disappointing attributes.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

To find out if your muffler / exhaust design is any good you will have to run the car on a dyno after every single change on the system. You can gain / lose a lot of HP and torque depends how the system is set up. Chamber sizing and the internal layout makes all the difference. Ask me how I know Wink

Last edited by Tvättbjörn on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
With 1 muffler you will always have that piece of crap high pitched whistly sound in the upper rpms that VWs make. No matter what you do it will be there. It might sound decent inside the car but outside it sounds crappy. I have seen some of the most famous vw pioneers driving their hotrod vw going through the gears with their fat boy style muffler whistling away fart canning it up and they think its cool. The exhaust speed is so fast cause the muffler is so close, And its a 4 cylinder. Having multiple mufflers like wreck shown is good, or split into 2 mufflers. Just want to give u a heads up before you spend 30 hours on the 1 muffler and it still has the disappointing attributes.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try it with this one and see how it sounds, but the way I have the exhaust laid out so far I can add a glass pack or something similar before this muffler. It would be very easy to add after test running on the stand. I also thought, if that is still too loud I can get some sort of silencing tips for the peashooters. I agree, I don't like phat boys and I don't like tinny either.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
To find out if your muffler / exhaust design is any good you will have to run the car on dyno after every single change on the system. You can gain / lose a lot of HP and torque depends how the system is set up. Chamber sizing and the internal layout makes all the difference.
I figure I may as well make one as opposed to buying some universal type muffler which probably wouldn't work perfectly with my specific engine anyway. At the end of the day I don't really care if I sacrifice a few HP as long as it sounds bad ass Twisted Evil

It's a for a daily driver, not a racer
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Well, I'm done for the night. Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming!

I'm going to wrap up this burrito in the morning

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

Looks cool. Interested to hear what you think of it!
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

In my dabblings with muffler design (for a 2-cyl motorcycle) and schooling from an old friend who did extensive testing on mufflers for model aircraft engines - the bigger you can make the muffler, the quieter. I think if you really want to see what a "quiet" muffler should look like inside, find a "throw away" Acura RSX Type S OEM muffler and take a look inside. Quiet, yet allows that 2L to rev to 8K and produce 200hp! It is fairly large, but must be well engineered to match the high performance engine (along with the mid-pipe resonator).
It looks like your flow path requires the gasses to pass through the wool - I'd avoid that in the end sections. That wool could clog up with carbon? Also make sure the flow-path perforated sections (primarily the cones) have at least equal open area to your pipe ID. Perforated metal typically has about 50% open area relative to the size of the sheet.
Seems like the 2-muffler set-up shown previously would be the quietest (more muffler volume). If growing my own I'd be tempted to fit a resonator (straight through) for the first muffler, then a larger (choose your brand) performance muffler for the 2nd.
Jeff
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
In my dabblings with muffler design (for a 2-cyl motorcycle) and schooling from an old friend who did extensive testing on mufflers for model aircraft engines - the bigger you can make the muffler, the quieter. I think if you really want to see what a "quiet" muffler should look like inside, find a "throw away" Acura RSX Type S OEM muffler and take a look inside. Quiet, yet allows that 2L to rev to 8K and produce 200hp! It is fairly large, but must be well engineered to match the high performance engine (along with the mid-pipe resonator).
It looks like your flow path requires the gasses to pass through the wool - I'd avoid that in the end sections. That wool could clog up with carbon? Also make sure the flow-path perforated sections (primarily the cones) have at least equal open area to your pipe ID. Perforated metal typically has about 50% open area relative to the size of the sheet.
Seems like the 2-muffler set-up shown previously would be the quietest (more muffler volume). If growing my own I'd be tempted to fit a resonator (straight through) for the first muffler, then a larger (choose your brand) performance muffler for the 2nd.
Jeff

Yes that is a great way to do it, using a straight through resonator/glasspack first then muffler of choice after. Using the pre-muffler will make muffler 2 sound soooooooooo much better and get rid of nasty fart can sounds.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler Fabrication & Design Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Well, I'm done for the night. Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming!

I'm going to wrap up this burrito in the morning

Very nice!

I have been working on a design for what is effectively a "three chamber" header-muffler for several years now....and hopefully will get to mocking it up this summer. Yours has some similarities!

Mine really needs to fit within a space just slightly larger than the original type 4 log style, end exit muffler on a type 4 car. The stock type 4 muffler.....is a marvel of design in space/packaging.....and overall quietness.....but has some negatives in terms of performance limitations. If there were no space limitations.....the stock type 4/914 muffler "COULD" be built to actually work much better.
In actuallity....the stock type 4 muffler is more similar to a classic "resonator"....than a classic zig-zag muffler.....but has elements of both.

A couple of years ago I dissected an Ernst muffler...probably the best type 4 stock muffler made....with noticably better performance (maybe 10%).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653839&highlight=muffler

I found out directly by long driving experience with a range of stock muffler brands....that the enclosed volume of the muffler/header unit is more critical to performance (restriction) and a "little" less critical to sound. Years ago I dissected a from the factory muffler but it was back in the "film camera" days so my documents are lacking.

Bluntly put....the stock factory muffler when cc'd to find out the internal volume of all of its chambers and tube displacement combined.....was (IIRC).....some 10-12% smaller than the Ernst....with slightly smaller perforations in specific areas. This is why the Ernst performed better when otherwise its exactly the same muffler design but very slightly larger.

A couple of items: from the dissection in that link......the stock mufflers use what is essentially loose steel BRAID....in place of steel wool or rock wool...probably to survive the heat better.

The other thing is that many years ago I read an article that noted (it was from someone like Moroso) ...especially in glass pack design....the the cheap style of perforated tube where the perfs are more like slots.....but they are indented inward into the tube.....create very high drag and slow down gas velocity. The article noted that drilled or punched perforations like you are using.....are much less parasitic. And also.....the actual perf size/diameter.....as I found in the stock mufflers....are a tuning function. But if they get too large and bleed too much out of the tube....gas flow may slow down too much moving the bulk of the gas from chamber to chamber.

The resonator function of stock exhausts which is a good thing......is being able to have a few dead end chambers...fed by perfs.... that maintain a gas cushion of head pressure all the time....effectively acting like a spring to expand and contract against exhaust pulses.....are one of the most useful attributes for smoothing/absorbing sound and changing the sound frequency.

I will not clutter up your thread with my design.....but will link to your thread when my thread finally gets started.

Very nice work! Watching in interest!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: