Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel and Tire selection
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Wheel and Tire selection Reply with quote

Hi all, hoping I can get some advice here. I have a 1966 VW Bus/camper. I bought her is 1972. I have had it stored indoors for twenty some odd years and now need to move her temporarily. I need new tires and wheels. Today I bought some Empi GT5 9686 wheels. They are a 15" X 5.5 wheel. I did talk with Empi's technical advisor and basically was told to see if they will fit the rear first before purchasing tires. Due to the offset of the wheels and the rear body skirt they may not fit. My question is this: does anyone have experience with this wheel? If the wheel fits, what tire did you use? Can some one recommend a nice wheel and tire other than the Empi wheel that will fit? Many thanks in advance for your input! Thank you.
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel and Tire selection Reply with quote

i helped a guy get his single cab running years back and he bought my 5 spoke Empi wheels from me. if my memory serves right he put 205/75R15 tires on those rims and it fit fine. dont hold me to it, its been a while. id suggest buying some used tires if possible to find your perfect fitment then buy new tires once you've figured out your size you need. most people with custom wheels like those run them on lowered buses with much smaller tires.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel and Tire selection Reply with quote

I have seen 205/65/15 c rated Continentals on Empi 5 spokes on a 66 bus before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel and Tire selection Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217649

Stickied at the top.
JohnnyDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel and Tire selection Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, everyone. The Empi wheels arrived and it appears the clearance will be to close for my comfort. If I had a half inch more clearance I would give it a go. Boxed and ready to send back. It certainly has been difficult trying to find wheels for this bus. There is a gentleman in Santa Cruz that said he has a stock 14 inch wheel, so I am hoping to connect with him. Many thanks again!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel and Tire selection Reply with quote

JohnnyDee wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone. The Empi wheels arrived and it appears the clearance will be to close for my comfort. If I had a half inch more clearance I would give it a go. Boxed and ready to send back. It certainly has been difficult trying to find wheels for this bus. There is a gentleman in Santa Cruz that said he has a stock 14 inch wheel, so I am hoping to connect with him. Many thanks again!

wheel clearance of a quarter inch is plenty. 66 has so much room in the back.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel and Tire selection Reply with quote

Trial and often Error on wheels. Depending on the bus, the style-stock/modded- I love big wide tires on Buses, but I won't Tub it. I also like lowered, many do not. After lowering I loved the handling, but many use their buses off road too, so stock is the best way for that w some good rocky tires.
I have 15 x 5.5" w stock beam and added IRS-street only. 205's in back, but I moved the centers out:Not a big deal IF you have a guy to do it right, and in the end-the crappy china wheels get actually Trued. Many wheels are made for several applications, and that is why the trouble on Splits. You need Bus specific wheels to fit right especially if you go disc's. Your 14's have a small selection of tires-15's give you more.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel and Tire selection Reply with quote

JohnnyDee wrote:
It certainly has been difficult trying to find wheels for this bus. There is a gentleman in Santa Cruz that said he has a stock 14 inch wheel, so I am hoping to connect with him. Many thanks again!

I noticed you had 2 threads for this issue, here's my reply from your duplicate thread (now removed):

Are you trying to find a new 14" wheels or used originals?
Used ones are always available from what I have seen.

Here's all the used ones in the classifieds here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ords=14%22

I searched in the Split Bus Parts section for the term 14"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel and Tire selection Reply with quote

Many thanks, I was able to get two stock wheels. Painting them now. Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: