Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

091/1 094 transaxle failure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 094 transaxle failure Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
One common factor for the failures is the foot on the gas pedal...

I've no experience with the T25/3 boxes but I have built a lot of Toyota 4x4 boxes mainly 2000 to 2008 era.
You would think the old bloke that chugs around ,not revving the crap out of the machine would be doing little damage . Not so with a diesel , the firing pulses and low power setting causes chatter that wears the crap out of the splines on both the shafts and gears /hubs .

A bit over 100,000km and the boxes can be not worth re building because of all the parts needing replacing . So it's not always the lead foot that destroys things , Try explaining that to someone that has had the car since new and only babied it !!
joshluther
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 094 transaxle failure Reply with quote

Time for an update...
The original shop agreed to rebuild the transaxle again, free of charge this time.
After a few weeks it was ready to ship back. I asked what was wrong with it and the answer I got was "ate the slider and 4th gear back cut" Needless to say I wasn't confident in that answer.

I decided not to install the transaxle when I got it back. I wasn't comfortable selling it as "rebuilt" and I wasn't confident in reinstalling it in the bus. Instead I had another builder look at it, hoping everything would be fine and he could upgraded it a little (taller .75 GT 4th gear).
Well, everything isn't fine or "rebuilt" correctly.
In one photo you can see the front cover has been rebuilt with a welder, incredibly porous welds that certainly wouldn't have lasted.
Loctite to hold the pinion bearing in, the press fit mainshaft bearing was falling out. Just a mess.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 094 transaxle failure Reply with quote

joshluther wrote:
Time for an update...
The original shop agreed to rebuild the transaxle again, free of charge this time.
After a few weeks it was ready to ship back. I asked what was wrong with it and the answer I got was "ate the slider and 4th gear back cut" Needless to say I wasn't confident in that answer.

I decided not to install the transaxle when I got it back. I wasn't comfortable selling it as "rebuilt" and I wasn't confident in reinstalling it in the bus. Instead I had another builder look at it, hoping everything would be fine and he could upgraded it a little (taller .75 GT 4th gear).
Well, everything isn't fine or "rebuilt" correctly.
In one photo you can see the front cover has been rebuilt with a welder, incredibly porous welds that certainly wouldn't have lasted.
Loctite to hold the pinion bearing in, the press fit mainshaft bearing was falling out. Just a mess.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That looks like a reputable shop... I have to say that I've welded retaining bosses on end\low-R housings and milled for a slight press fit on the main bearing. Those castings welded very cleanly in my experience. I've also seen "sleeved" main shaft bores spit a bearing out in no time. I really do hate all this tip-toeing around. Which shop welded this housing and used clear silicone? The community needs to know.

J
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 094 transaxle failure Reply with quote

Agreed. I'm trying to figure out the motivation behind protecting the identity of this builder who has cut corners and taken your money. I think after a few chances to make it right, they have earned their need to be outed, for the sake of any who may come after you as potential customers.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
joshluther
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 094 transaxle failure Reply with quote

I wanted to give them a chance to make it right with a refund.
I asked and the message was read and I received no response which has been pretty typical.
John from RC Trans in Vegas has been doing the work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 094 transaxle failure Reply with quote

Sorry ot hear about your troubles, do think it will be interesting as times goes on as the cores are getting worst and some shops are doing interesting things to still kick out cheap "rebuilt" boxes and then it makes other shops pricing look horrible as they're actually doing the real work and putting in the right parts.

One vendor (different than you mention) is known for welding up the forks, which is some ways isn't bad if they did a good weld and then finished it back to facotry. I would even call it better than new if they did it with a different rod material to make it more durable.....sadly it looks like they grabbed someone off the street that's never seen a MIG gun and have them trying to do it while the box is still together. Seen pictures of hte weld splatter over the gears.

Again sorry to hear about your troubles, hopefully you have better luck with the next trans.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: