Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rearview mirror dashcam camera
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not sure if its called something different stateside (I'm uk) but searches didn't give me much.

I'm looking into/exploring fitting an aftermarket streaming rearview mirror, when I'm loaded up I can't see anything and low posts etc have caught me out in the past. The ones I looked at also have dash cams built into them so it seems like a good idea.

The trouble is they're big, 10" or 12" long vs the stock 7 to 7.5" rearview mirror.

Has anyone fitted something like this, how does it look, any pics or info or ideas ?

thanks, PG

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

subscribing...
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

I know the one you're talking about and yea they're bulky and usually just trash. I had one gifted to me that I ended up not using and put it in an RV.

They do however make some wireless cameras that will link up with small screens, ones that don't have to be permanently mounted to anything. You could mount the camera to the license plate bracket and whip out the small screen from your glove box or wherever you stash your goodies.

What would be nifty is if you could have a camera that links up to your phone: have a phone mount on your dash/windscreen and view the backup camera when you need it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

I installed a camera system on my rear view mirror and I am very happy with it.

It is a Vantop H610. You may be tempted to buy the 12" version. Do not as it will interfere with your visors. I purchased the add on hardwire kit as I did not want to power it with my cigarette lighter.

I like the parking monitor and I also like the ability to scroll on the rear view mirror screen to control and move move the field of vision of the rear camera. With my mounting, I can scroll all the way to the ground and see everything behind the bus and then raise the camera to monitor traffic just like a regular rear view mirror but with much greater field of vision and recording added. It also connects to your reverse circuit and provides a visual assist in the form of on screen colored lines when reversing.

I also decided to mount the rear camera inside to avoid damage/theft. The field of vision down near the rear license plate is not ideal for our buses. My chosen location really maximizes the field of vision. I surrounded the camera with a closed cell foam protective housing to prevent damage from rear cargo. I also covered that housing in Sunbrella fabric to match my curtains. The decal on the rear window helps make the camera less obvious. Hope this helps you. I am very happy and the increased safety and visibility really changes the driving experience.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.vantop.com/products/vantop-h610-dash-camera Also available on Amazon.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

Now that's nifty

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

thanks for posting that BUSBOSS.

I looked up the mirror and its a 10" , it doesn't look out of place at all.

I'd imagined it would be much to big/bulky but it looks ok.

Have you had it long? and what length cable did you use front to back camera, I see options for 6m or 10m?

thanks again, really appreciated !

PG

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

pgtips wrote:
thanks for posting that BUSBOSS.

I looked up the mirror and its a 10" , it doesn't look out of place at all.

I'd imagined it would be much to big/bulky but it looks ok.

Have you had it long? and what length cable did you use front to back camera, I see options for 6m or 10m?

thanks again, really appreciated !

PG

You are welcome. It is a 10" and hence the H610 model number - it fits perfectly in my opinion and does not look out of place from the interior or exterior. I have had it for about 9 months and went with the longer cable. I ran it in the headliner and then in the A pillar and then along the roof line channel to the back closet area. You might get away with the shorter cable if you follow that same route but I didn't chance it. If you run the cable under the bus, you definitely need the longer cable.
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

One more Q Boss,

the sliding out camera, I see on yours its sliding out to the left.
So if you are LHD it slides out in front of your line of vision ?
I guess you are LHD?

Do you find that obstructs vision a little bit.?

I ask because I can get one with the camera that slides out from left or right but unsure which to get, I've got a LHD bus but (as I'm UK based) I drive on the right.

My thought was to get a slide out camera that slide away from me?

PG

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:

Been considering this for some time. Can you comment on the visibility of the display when you are driving when it's sunny out?
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

pgtips wrote:
One more Q Boss,

the sliding out camera, I see on yours its sliding out to the left.
So if you are LHD it slides out in front of your line of vision ?
I guess you are LHD?

Do you find that obstructs vision a little bit.?

If you look closely at the photo taken from outside the bus you can see that the front facing camera does not extend out beyond the frame of the mirror. There is absolutely no obstruction with line of sight.
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

excellent. I'll be ordering one next week and I'll post up how I get along with it.

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:

Been considering this for some time. Can you comment on the visibility of the display when you are driving when it's sunny out?

I use it almost exclusively as a rear camera. My rear camera is tilted down and I have had no issues with sunlight interfering with the view. I don't work for the company, get any kickbacks, and I paid for my product. I truly think it is one of the best additions I have made to my bus in terms of the driving experience. And it is under $100. If you buy it, I don't think you will regret it.

Here is a video review from somebody with more free time than I have:

Link

VW-Drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

I have one too. It's super clear and works really well.

63 Camper, 73 Bus, 77 Camper (Green), 77 Camper Automatic (Mustard), 83 Vanagon

(Former Samba user from a while back. Can't remember the email I used / username, etc)
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
captincanuck wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:

I use it almost exclusively as a rear camera. My rear camera is tilted down and I have had no issues with sunlight interfering with the view. I don't work for the company, get any kickbacks, and I paid for my product. I truly think it is one of the best additions I have made to my bus in terms of the driving experience. And it is under $100. If you buy it, I don't think you will regret it.

Here is a video review from somebody with more free time than I have:

Link

Great. Will report back with my results
Jb916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

How did you run the power for it? and i noticed you said there was an option for a longer cable for the rearview camera, is that something they ask you during purchase or an add on you can do? Very interested in something like this for our bus, as there is no way to see out the back!
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

Jb916 wrote:
How did you run the power for it? and i noticed you said there was an option for a longer cable for the rearview camera, is that something they ask you during purchase or an add on you can do? Very interested in something like this for our bus, as there is no way to see out the back!

I wired a Blue Sea Aux fuse box sourced by my aux battery and connected it there. It looks like they provide the longer cable as standard now.
Jb916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Jb916 wrote:

I wired a Blue Sea Aux fuse box sourced by my aux battery and connected it there. It looks like they provide the longer cable as standard now.

Thank you, if you have any pictures of the power wires, that would be great. I have a 71 bay window which is converted to a mobile photo booth, but you cant see out the back window when driving or reversing, so something like this would be a real help. Also interested to see how you ran your aux battery!
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

Follow up from my about rear view mirror cameras I got mine fitted last night and thought I'd post up now I've got it installed.

I think this is a brilliant upgrade btw and I'm pleased with it.

I wanted a mirror that was similar in size to my existing one but that's pretty impossible to find, so I opted for a 10.88" Jansite, a newer model with a decent camera. Not too big, some are 12". Cost me £93 incl P&P with a 64gb card.
Less than half what the repair for my reversing into a low post was a couple of years ago!.
Its got two cameras, a front and a rear and records both cameras on a loop

Rear camera mount, for now mines attached with double sided number plate tape which means its not permanent but will be adequate for the job.

I read a lot of reviews, a few people say its lame in direct sunlight or rain but to be honest the view out the back of my van isn't great in the same conditions so a camera can't be any worse.

Fitting wise I ran it around the screen rubber so its barely noticeable, I got a 10m cable as suggested by BusBoss (option is 6m or 10m) which I thought would be a bit too long but by the time I had neatened up the runs there wasn't that much left. I drilled a hole in my spare wheel well to go into the engine bay and another hole behind the rear number plate to pass the camera cable through. The mirror itself clamps on over your existing mirror using bungee straps. Once I'm def sure about it I might make it a bit more permanent.

There's another "reversing cable" as well which can show parallel reverse lines onscreen if you want them, its an option you simply attach it to your reversing light cable and it works when you select reverse (guidelines appear onscreen).
I don't have reverse lights but there's been a cable in my rear loom redundant years, now it has a home !

When I powered up the screen (wiring is 3 wires, ign live, a perm battery live and earth) it was a "wow look at that".

What would be visible normally in rearview mirror

What I actually see out the back behind me is this tiny bit

With the camera mirror no obstruction in the view

I didn't realise you could do this (no pics unfortunately) but it can scroll up and down as though you are scrolling your phone screen (so imagine a picture and what you see is the middle of the picture on the screen, you have the option to scroll up to the top of the image or the bottom) so I can adjust the view to see close to the floor (low obstructions when reversing) or up higher than the normal view (overhanging tree or something). You just slide your finger up or down on the screen. By default (tap twice) it shows the centre.

Instead of just rear you can choose to see the front camera view or choose split of front and back view. It seems a bit pointless bar setting up the front view for recording, but its there anyway. So 3 view options.

Its really weird adjusting the mirror inside the van, obviously the image stays the same but your mind is used to the reflection moving about when you adjust.

The unit records on a continuous loop both cameras. If you are thinking of getting one make sure you get the camera on the same side you sit, there are options for L or R sided front facing cameras. It has to mimic your view of the road and be on the same side you sit. I like the fact its constantly recording, a dash cam front and rear.
When you turn off the ign the mirror shuts down.

It has a few basic options you can adjust, settings for contrast etc but its not complicated. Bottom line is its a mirror replacement with the added benefit it records. I did at one point start to look into if they come with sat nav options but I use my phone for that and I couldn't really see the benefit of more stuff on the screen.

Even though the mirror is bigger I don't think its obstructive. I think most modern motors have bigger mirrors so its something I'm used to anyway. It looks ok from the outside as well.

Because the original mirror is quite small the camera you can see on the right doesn't have to be extended, it just fits. I read some people said the mirror attachment rubber bands can be a bit flaky, it seems ok at the moment but if I can fix my bus by the side of the road I can stop a mirror wobbling, if it does happen I'll probably use mounting tape behind the unit to adhere it to the mirror more permanently.

Its a decent price and I like it, a good upgrade. If someone else is looking into these I hope this helped. A big thanks for the forum replies.

PG

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rearview mirror dashcam camera Reply with quote

Thank you for this!

I just got a good reference on a front/rear camera system from a friend of mine in Dallas last,week. He posted video if some high speed highway douche-baggery that nearly wiped out several cars.

His point was that it was precisely that kind of stuff tbat is why he bought the camera system. It is viftually impossible these days without video.....to make a clean insurance or court case of accidents. This is not even to mention the insurance scams.....the driving while stupid and driving while stoned or drunk aspect.

I agree and have been watching and looking at cameras for a year or two now. One of my favorite time wasters (other than the forums) when I am sitting in airports or client parking lots......is watching the millions of dash cam videos on Youtube and lookimg at the camera links.

There ard a LOT of high tech, simple, effective and affordable dash cams out there.

You can probably actually thank the Russians for the growth in the industry! Good God.....you could not pay me to drive there! It is noted in many placss on line that its so bad in Russia....driving.....that roughly 2/3 or more of all cars have dash cams.....and they were way ahead almost 10 years ago.

The volume of Russian dash cams is precisely why there are literally thousands of clear video shots and angles of the massive Chelyabinsk meteorite strike from 2013. It was caught in literally 10s of thousands of dash cams.

I think....if its not already a thread......there should be a sticky for a dash cam review thread. The technology is changing/improving almost weekly.

By the way....one of the most important functions of a dash cam that I have seen.....is having one with either a proximity sensor or a bump sensor with instant on......to catch video of the thousands of shitty drivers.....who back into peoples parked cars and drive off. Nothing infuriates me more than "sonar parking" by people in SUVs. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: