Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
OldSpice
Samba Member


Joined: June 10, 2015
Posts: 167
Location: 87 syncro westfalia Subaru ez30
OldSpice is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

I donít *think* Iíll run into any problems but thought Iíd post here before I do in-case Iím missing something. I think I heard the sureflow faucet has adjustable flow or am I making that up?

I think my pump is on its way out anyways, I had to give it a vinegar bath and smack it to get it pumping again. can anyone recommend a good backup pump?

Current goal = 1. speed adjust knob to adjust water flow- + 2. foot button with separate on off switch to allow foot activation without accidental activation. 3. Maybe a new faucet for better articulation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member


Joined: February 09, 2005
Posts: 14812
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
MarkWard is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Our Shure flow does regulate the flow on our 82. It has a submersible pump and I have deleted the city water connection. That was an accident waiting to happen. Plus it's one last thing to put away every morning when you hit the road.
_________________
1982 Vanagon Camper with ALH TDI.
1990 Vanagon Camper Syncro.
In Car https://youtu.be/5hbfdUJR88Q
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSpice
Samba Member


Joined: June 10, 2015
Posts: 167
Location: 87 syncro westfalia Subaru ez30
OldSpice is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Do you know if it regulates flow via physical construction or if it slows down the motor via voltage?

Yea Iím wanting to get rid of the water connections outside van but not sure what I should replace the boxes with- maybe a 12volt plug in for hooking up air compressors etc outside van.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member


Joined: December 07, 2014
Posts: 1496
Location: Bay area CA
fxr is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

It's purely a flow restriction. Works just fine.
_________________
Jim Crowther
1984 1.9l EJ22 Westy Wolfsburg Edition
Vespa GTS 300
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member


Joined: February 09, 2005
Posts: 14812
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
MarkWard is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Don't know that answer. Likely flow restriction vs lower voltage. It is light years ahead of the original.
_________________
1982 Vanagon Camper with ALH TDI.
1990 Vanagon Camper Syncro.
In Car https://youtu.be/5hbfdUJR88Q
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member


Joined: August 13, 2013
Posts: 1463
Location: Austin, TX
kourt is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

The Shurflo faucet commonly used to upgrade a Westfalia galley faucet has a binary switch attached to the valve for turning on/off the galley water pump. There is no rheostat to provide variable control voltage.

Any control of the water flow is done simply by the Shurflo's design as a valve; you can open the valve more to get more water (as much as the pump will deliver), or you can close the valve down to restrict flow and decrease the flow of water (but the pump is still working just as hard).

kourt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishgo
Samba Member


Joined: June 21, 2018
Posts: 101
Location: Madison, WI
fishgo is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

OldSpice wrote:
I donít *think* Iíll run into any problems but thought Iíd post here before I do in-case Iím missing something. I think I heard the sureflow faucet has adjustable flow or am I making that up?

I think my pump is on its way out anyways, I had to give it a vinegar bath and smack it to get it pumping again. can anyone recommend a good backup pump?

Current goal = 1. speed adjust knob to adjust water flow- + 2. foot button with separate on off switch to allow foot activation without accidental activation. 3. Maybe a new faucet for better articulation.



I had the original style on/off faucet with an aux foot switch which was a good combo. The faucet switch eventually failed (not the foot switch) and I replaced it with a ShurFlow. Wired in my foot switch too. Came to find out that the flow restriction is manual not electric, so the foot switch activates the pump but the faucet restricts flow. Oops. Disconnect the foot switch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator


Joined: July 26, 2008
Posts: 7042
Location: Arizona
kamzcab86 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
The Shurflo faucet commonly used to upgrade a Westfalia galley faucet has a binary switch attached to the valve for turning on/off the galley water pump. There is no rheostat to provide variable control voltage.

Any control of the water flow is done simply by the Shurflo's design as a valve; you can open the valve more to get more water (as much as the pump will deliver), or you can close the valve down to restrict flow and decrease the flow of water (but the pump is still working just as hard).

kourt


This.👆🏼

If you want variable flow control, simply install a ShurFlo and call it good.🍺

Timwhy wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
~Kamz Anxious
1986 Cabriolet: www.Cabby-Info.com
Blue Vanagon 1990 Vanagon Westfalia: Old Blue's Blog
2016 Golf GTI S
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction; the world will have a generation of idiots." ~Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSpice
Samba Member


Joined: June 10, 2015
Posts: 167
Location: 87 syncro westfalia Subaru ez30
OldSpice is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

fishgo wrote:
OldSpice wrote:
I donít *think* Iíll run into any problems but thought Iíd post here before I do in-case Iím missing something. I think I heard the sureflow faucet has adjustable flow or am I making that up?

I think my pump is on its way out anyways, I had to give it a vinegar bath and smack it to get it pumping again. can anyone recommend a good backup pump?

Current goal = 1. speed adjust knob to adjust water flow- + 2. foot button with separate on off switch to allow foot activation without accidental activation. 3. Maybe a new faucet for better articulation.



I had the original style on/off faucet with an aux foot switch which was a good combo. The faucet switch eventually failed (not the foot switch) and I replaced it with a ShurFlow. Wired in my foot switch too. Came to find out that the flow restriction is manual not electric, so the foot switch activates the pump but the faucet restricts flow. Oops. Disconnect the foot switch.


Why disconnect the foot switch then? Seems like it wouldnít have effected anything or am I missing how the faucet opens up?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishgo
Samba Member


Joined: June 21, 2018
Posts: 101
Location: Madison, WI
fishgo is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

OldSpice wrote:
fishgo wrote:
OldSpice wrote:
I donít *think* Iíll run into any problems but thought Iíd post here before I do in-case Iím missing something. I think I heard the sureflow faucet has adjustable flow or am I making that up?

I think my pump is on its way out anyways, I had to give it a vinegar bath and smack it to get it pumping again. can anyone recommend a good backup pump?

Current goal = 1. speed adjust knob to adjust water flow- + 2. foot button with separate on off switch to allow foot activation without accidental activation. 3. Maybe a new faucet for better articulation.



I had the original style on/off faucet with an aux foot switch which was a good combo. The faucet switch eventually failed (not the foot switch) and I replaced it with a ShurFlow. Wired in my foot switch too. Came to find out that the flow restriction is manual not electric, so the foot switch activates the pump but the faucet restricts flow. Oops. Disconnect the foot switch.


Why disconnect the foot switch then? Seems like it wouldnít have effected anything or am I missing how the faucet opens up?


Foot switch activates the water pump, but the shurflow valve keeps the water from flowing (flow is blocked). You need to turn the knob on the shurflow to both activate and control flow. With the footswitch, a piece of luggage could bump against it and turn the pump on, but no water would flow. You might do some damage that way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead


Joined: January 01, 2007
Posts: 13571
Location: sticksville, ct.
skills@eurocarsplus is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I have deleted the city water connection. That was an accident waiting to happen.


can i ask why you say that? would the city connection blow the faucet to the moon?
_________________
gprudenciop wrote:

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member


Joined: February 09, 2005
Posts: 14812
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
MarkWard is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Water pressure varies from site to site, and if there was a leak during the night, the van would be full of water by morning. We have found the 12 volt pump and on board tank to be plenty for us. We fill it to the top of the yellow and we are good for a few days. Don't like to carry extra weight either.
_________________
1982 Vanagon Camper with ALH TDI.
1990 Vanagon Camper Syncro.
In Car https://youtu.be/5hbfdUJR88Q
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 26, 2006
Posts: 546
Location: Sacramento
dgbeatty is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

I will get to the question but first. We have the foot controlled switch arrangement sold by GoWe$ty and the Shurflo faucet, after adding a pressure bleed it has worked flawlessly.
But, a PWM controller coupled with a foot pressure controlled transducer would be the cats pajamas. Press lightly, low flow, press harder and more flow. All to replace 2 cents worth of copper strips.
Now to devise a 3 quart hot water heater that takes up zero space.
_________________
When all else fails read the instructions. Schau in das Buch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member


Joined: January 01, 2009
Posts: 3740
Location: Maine
Timwhy is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

You can control the flow with a .5 gallon aerator


Link

_________________
'15 Audi A3 Quattro
'09 VW Tiguan (dead)
'87 VW Westy
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS


http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member


Joined: January 26, 2011
Posts: 2593
Location: Bozeman MT
SCM is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of adding a speed control knob to sink pump. Thoughts? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
It's purely a flow restriction. Works just fine.


Unless the hose attached to the water pump isn't secured all that tightly in which case you can blow the hose off of the pump requiring an underwater repair in the middle of your camping trip at a time when you hands may or may not be very clean.

Just a heads up on that one. Wink
_________________
'91 Westfalia GL Automatic (GTA "Turbo" Rebuild w/Peloquin) and 2.3L GoWesty Engine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB