Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

I'm reviving a thread... yes, I've done the searches. However, does anyone have pictures or documentation of how these tanks mounted, how fuel was delivered from Aux to Main or any other Trible knowledge that may be out there on this subject. I'm NOT looking for pointers to after market or what someone crafted. I'm interested in the VW SA option only. Thanks!
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

Do you mean the larger main tank or some other aux tank mounted elsewhere?

Hans
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

I think benTsyncro installed one in his syncro. The syncro tank is rectangular and fits underneath. They also had a 2wd version, which looks like an extended 2wd tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
I'm reviving a thread... yes, I've done the searches. However, does anyone have pictures or documentation of how these tanks mounted, how fuel was delivered from Aux to Main or any other Trible knowledge that may be out there on this subject. I'm NOT looking for pointers to after market or what someone crafted. I'm interested in the VW SA option only. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the Syncro specific auxilary tank you are asking about. Do you have a picture you could post? I'd like to see what you are asking about. We have an owner with an SA 2wd extended tank. It required cutting the rear tank support member from the chassis and relocating it further back. Not exactly plug and play. Thanks.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

I think these are sa tanks

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1632300

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2294588
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

never mind

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

I'm actually looking to see an original SA fuel tank which is mounted. My understanding is that they were mounted between the side rails underneath. What I'm more interested in is the filler opening, how it's plumbed down to the tank and then how fuel moves from Aux to main tank. Thanks all!
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

Wish I had seen the saddle tank ad!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
MaineRich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

I purchased the desert fox aux tank from Bent a few years ago and installed it. I took it out last year. Too much of a hassle.

The tank fit between the rails on the passenger side right under the sliding door. There is an external fuel pump that transferred the fuel from the aux tank to the original tank. I placed the switch right up front near the shifter.

Filling the original tank and aux tank used a fuel filler from Desert Fox and it really didn't work. Some of the gas stations up here have different nozzles at the fuel pump and you has to twist the nozzle to different angles to fill up. I'll check around to see if I have any pictures.

Did the aux tank work? Yes, able to add extra gallons, but in the end, I decided to take it out.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

To me the most obvious location for an auxiliary filler neck on a syncro would be the 2wd filler neck location. I saved those parts from my conversion just in case I wanted to add a second tank at some point.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trying to fill an auxiliary tank through 7mm hose even with a pump would be painful. I'd be inclined to add an electric selector valve to switch tanks. Fill both tanks through a filler neck.

Sorry none of this has to do with an SA auxiliary tank installation.
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

Okay... here's the ENTIRE shootin' match under FULL disclosure! LOL (I needed to get outside to take pics so I could explain). I just didn't know if anyone had the setup which they could reference.

Mine is set up on the passenger side between the rails:

The filler tank is setup with the rear in the correct placement (for a Syncro) and then on the right is the Aux fill:

On the inside view, under the seat / bed, the filler comes in and down into the tank below the floor:

What's wrapped up around the filler hose, is a vent hose and then fuel pump / hose which pushes fuel from Aux to Main tank:

This filling hose is routed along the rear passenger wall and drops somewhere (I haven't pulled the inside paneling off yet) into the main tank:

My question, in its entirety really was, is this how it's "typically" done? To me, this setup just seems "off". I DEFINITELY would not run the filler hose along the back interior from Aux to Main. I'd LOVE any feedback or thoughts that people have. Thanks!
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

That's a nice setup. I was thinking the same thing about running it through the cabin, but then I remembered that my old pickup truck had the gas tank behind the seat. That looks like a factory installation too, down to the locking cap. I think I would fabricate a sealed metal corner panel to cover it.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

Is that the stock syncro doka filler location? Your install looks professional, but likely would not pass DOT or MOT muster. In a heavy side impact, while rare, the filler could disconnect and could spray the interior with fuel. Very remote possibility. Thanks for sharing.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

I have a 12 gallon saddle tank I bought that I'm not going to install. I need one for the drivers side as I have the sliding door step installed and this one doesn't work for this. So I guess at some point I need to make my own.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Is that the stock syncro doka filler location? Your install looks professional, but likely would not pass DOT or MOT muster. In a heavy side impact, while rare, the filler could disconnect and could spray the interior with fuel. Very remote possibility. Thanks for sharing.

Well, prior to exporting this from the UK, it had a current MOT. FWIW. Smile LOL
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

You could fabricate a removable bulkhead to isolate the filler neck so if it did detach, fuel would be contained. My fuel cell is next to me in my race car and is isolated from the passenger compartment by a simple aluminum bulkhead.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
You could fabricate a removable bulkhead to isolate the filler neck so if it did detach, fuel would be contained. My fuel cell is next to me in my race car and is isolated from the passenger compartment by a simple aluminum bulkhead.

Right. You could also add a weep hole with a external drain tube to warn you of a leak, and prevent filling up the sealed cavity. Kinda how they have the fuel system on airplanes.
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

Has your bus got a vow sticker in Arabic on the B pillar chap? Think I might have helped painted that gold syncro about 8yrs ago Idea
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

CHARLIE-DONT-SURF wrote:
Has your bus got a vow sticker in Arabic on the B pillar chap? Think I might have helped painted that gold syncro about 8yrs ago Idea

Yes sir it does! Wink It used to be Russel's vehicle but I bought it from Robert. I'd LOVE to hear more of what you recall of it!
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SA / South African Aux Fuel Tank Reply with quote

Ok, I knew it when Rob in Spain owned it. It was an Mtdi then. Was FABULOUS to drive even as am Mtdi. Think it might have gone to ECU recently?

Apparently there had been some minor restoration work to corners due to scuffs and scratches. Unfortunately whoever had repaired it after Rus had restored it hadn’t matched the paint and the gold had too much blue in it so the van looked like it has bruises. Shocked Laughing

It was painted in 2012 ish. The body was near mint as Russel really is an expert but the afore mentioned bruises looked rubbish. IIRC Rob wanted to go slightly bigger on the tyres so both front arches were sectioned and stretched in the middle and I think the rear arches had a tickle.

We couldn’t get a paint match anywhere to what it was so we ended up painting the entire van (completely stripped) in erm......
I am 99.99% sure it is a Kia Colour. Quite possibly a Sorento maybe?

Engineering works next door fitted the winch/compressor at the same time.

Maybe 2013/2014 it was back in to have vents/skylight , snorkel freshened up in satin black. The Fiamma was stripped and parts of it detailed in satin black to.

I’d say you’ve landed on your feet buying that van. Russel is generally help as being ‘up there’ at the front in the world of syncro Reston over here and is a perfectionist. Rob is a really decent chap and didn’t scrimp looking after it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: