Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody heard of 'Tritanium' brand bolt?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Anybody heard of 'Tritanium' brand bolt? Reply with quote

One of the bolts that (I think) came with my '70 sunroof bug is branded 'Tritanium' on its head, with a six-sided shape as the emblem in the center.
The shape is like if you stood a hexagon on one of its points and then pulled the two vertical sides away from each-other, making it eider than it is tall.
The four sides on the top and the bottom each have a dash (unconnected line) radiating out from them. 1/2" head and nut, 18TPI, and 5/16" shaft.
As it isn't metric it's obviously owner-added at some point in the past and I'm sorry to say I have no idea where it was installed on the car.
A web-search got me a Tritanium-brand bolt-extractor kit and one recent Craigslist ad by a guy that wants: "premier bolts wanted, tritanium" and specifies: "I am in need of tritanium bolts, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8. They have tritanium on top of the bolt.
Thank you"

Does that tickle any memories out there?
This is just an oddity that provoked my curiosity, thanks for whatever info you can offer! Cool

(I also have a couple KAR-brand washers, a 1/4 and a 3/8, with sizes stamped right into them! Plus various other odd old fasteners, like an 'OF'-branded bolt, metric this time)
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody heard of 'Tritanium' brand bolt? Reply with quote

I only know this name from medical devices for implants and Star Trek.

In reality it’s a honeycombed Titanium derivative.

Can you post links to the bolt maker ?
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody heard of 'Tritanium' brand bolt? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I only know this name from medical devices for implants and Star Trek.

In reality it’s a honeycombed Titanium derivative.

Can you post links to the bolt maker ?

Well, the bolt definitely isn't any kind of titanium, just plain old rusty steel!
By bolt maker, do you mean the extractor kit I mentioned or the maker of my mystery-bolt?
Because my web-search didn't bring up anything of the latter that I could link to.
I doubt the maker of the extractor-kit is related, probably just using the name because it sounds cool, but it's here: https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-Products/Welding/Welding-Alloy/831175/
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody heard of 'Tritanium' brand bolt? Reply with quote

From a Mustang forum, "Supertanium and Tritanium fasteners manufactured by Premier fasteners Cleveland ,Ohio. High quality fasteners mandated by many organizations such as USAC in 60's-70's. Most race shops used Premier hardware."

And...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&a...YmOH7hiJSR
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody heard of 'Tritanium' brand bolt? Reply with quote

Aha, Premier is the maker! Thanks, babysnakes! And thanks for the link, too!
Guess that brings this mystery to a close, unless anybody wants to add anything else of note.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody heard of 'Tritanium' brand bolt? Reply with quote

Thanks , baby snakes. You are esteemed google-fu, Grasshopper
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody heard of 'Tritanium' brand bolt? Reply with quote

yes, i have. long ago ,got them fro tifco i think. tifco was a automotive hardware,nut,bolt washer and assorted supplier that cam around every 2-3 months or so to replenish the supply.that was in the 80's( last century),I still have one of the devided boxes/drawers in my shop from his "free" setup program he gave me for our 6 bay "after hours" racecar chassie& build& hotrod & engine shop we had across town for many years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: