Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices? Reply with quote

The brake light switch at the master on my ‘66 Sedan works, but only if I apply high force. Not panic stop like, but too much than needed to slow down for a light, for example.

What are the best (most sensitive) switches out there? Bosch?

Suggestions?
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices? Reply with quote

I installed this to supplement the brake switch. It works perfectly. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices? Reply with quote

I installed this to supplement the brake switch. It works perfectly. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061

x2
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices? Reply with quote

Scott65Beetle wrote:

x2

x 3 - The pedal actuated switch gives you instant brake lights. It is easily installed. You can actually hear the switch click when you touch the brake pedal.
If you prefer not to go that route then just purchase a good quality brake light switch. I have had good luck with the Wolfsburg West switches. Good quality and no leaks.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113945515CGR

Last edited by wayne1230cars on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices? Reply with quote

I presume you have throughly bled the system, so compressing air bubbles are not the source of the delay?

Also, try LED bulbs. They are brighter, but also instant-lighting, unlike lazy filament bulbs. That might be enough improvement.

I note that kit says LED bulbs are required for 6V systems anyway, so try that first.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I presume you have throughly bled the system, so compressing air bubbles are not the source of the delay?

Also, try LED bulbs. They are brighter, but also instant-lighting, unlike lazy filament bulbs. That might be enough improvement.

I note that kit says LED bulbs are required for 6V systems anyway, so try that first.

I have the pedal actuated switches on my ‘70 (12 volt) and my ‘60 (6 volt). On the 12 volt they work fine with the original filament bulbs. On the 6 volt, I already had led bulbs. LED bulbs really are much brighter.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices? Reply with quote

I use the same type switch setup as mentioned above. Works great.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices? Reply with quote

When the VW pressure switch takes more and more force to activate the lights, it's usually on the way out.

I have had good luck with a Harley-Davidson rear brake light switch. Threads right in and is very sensitive to pressure - lights up earlier than the VW switches.

Works great for older cars that have just the two-prong switches. You could use it on a 3-prong car but you will lose brake warning light functionality.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy brake lights. Switch not very sensitive. Choices? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

X2 on the LED bulbs. Huge improvement in my 6v system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: