Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrycrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

I'm having trouble mounting the steering column to the bracket on the underside of the dashboard. I'm coming up short, where the column slides into the slot on the bracket. The steering column would need to come up, or out by about 3/4". Is there any way to compensate or adjust for this gap? Any advice would be appreciated. Pictures aren't the best. Took them in a rush this AM> Will post some better pictures later. Perhaps it will better clarify the issue. (1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe). Thank you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

its hard to tell from the pics but I think you may be missing part of the mounting sleeve..mine has a whole other 2 piece sleeve in front of the ignition housing that attaches to the bracket and has elongated guides to move it forward and back..Is this the original column to the car?
harrycrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

I'm new to this car. Purchased it about 6 months ago. I'm not sure if this is the original parts to the car? The column was fastened to the bracket with just a small spec of the clip in the slot holing it in place. Last night it worked loose. First time I discovered the issue... I'll post some better photos later today. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

Come to think of it, it looks like you have this piece already bolted up onder the dash and your fasteners should slide up into those slots..

Hopefully someone here with a '71 will chime in
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

I think you are missing the back piece that those allen bolts slide up into. Something with your column doesnt look right, something is missing. The shaft does rotate in and out as well. I have found that if the horn bearing inside the column isnt seated properly you will be short the 3/4 of an inch you need. I just found this out Monday night.

I have a 70 so I can take a picture when I get home.

Mark
harrycrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply and input. Defiantly something amiss here? The steering column doesn't line up with the bracket, mounted on the under side of the dash. Coming up short, so the two slotted retaining clips can't go into the slot on the bracket. It appears as though the steering column would need to come up about 3/4' or so? Maybe these pics will shed some light on what I'm trying to explain... I'm going to have a mechanic friend take a look. Hopefully get to the bottom of it! Thanks again!

fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

I see what you mean now, the tangs on the mounting bracket are coming up short of slots on the bracket in the dash..so in my estimation, the whole column needs to be moved further back into the cockpit..This can be done by loosening the clamp at the steering box and sliding it further on the splined shaft..
Can you shed some history on the car? basket case or did you strip it down..
Trying to determine if the PO just cobbled everything together to make it a roller..
PS--Someone out there in Ghia samba land will eventually have a gander at their setup and post here Question As I mentioned before, I can only be of so much help because mine is a little older and the column mounting sleeve is different
harrycrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I plan to spend some time on it this weekend. See if I can get to the bottom of it.
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

Sorry it has taken me a while. This is my steering column.

Duper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

I am in the same exact boat. My steering wheel has been roughed up and the 2 clips have been broken. I believe that I may be missing some kind of bracket like the one below.

Any idea where I can get the clips (nuts)? How about the bracket?

Duper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

I think I figured out my problem and wanted to get back to anyone who might need to know in the future.

This bracket is called a "Steering Column, Breakaway Support Bracket" and it is designed to aid in the collapse of the steering wheel by allowing the bolts to slip down through the open slots in a wreck.

What I was missing was the "Aluminum Clip Mounts" that are made for the slots. They are very hard to find and range from $40 to $200.

Let me know if you need more info. Idea
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Steering column mount issue - Help needed! Reply with quote

Glad you found some. They are quite obscure.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: