Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

early westy plastic curtain rail cover
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

so....

i found these threads on the topic:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9123918

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=411745

and here's mine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

million dollar question....

does anybody need or want this reproduced and if so what are you willing to pay for one?

really considering having a few vacuum formed. the issue would be the pebbly grain would be on the inside and the outside would be smooth...trying to work this out now

it looks like the plastic that would be used is about 35/sheet and there would be a lot of waste during the process once the jig was made, so off the bat it's 35 for a sheet of generic white ABS

mine is fine and there are a couple of minor flaws but i would give it a 8.75 out of 10.

if there is enough interest i may proceed. if not i'll install this and just pretend this thread never happened

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
nelinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

I need one!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

I have two of these and neither are free of cracks. I contacted the Uniwerks guy a while back to see if he could 3D print a replacement if I sent him one of mine for the dimensions but he advised that it was too long for his printers so he would have to create a 2 piece version.

If you could get someone to make these I would be interested in purchasing one for sure. As for the texture of the finished product, as long as it is the right size and close to the right color (my track record of painting plastic parts is not the greatest) I couldn't care less about the inside or outside texture.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

Could you make the first one and then use the interior of the part for the run of the rest? Unsure about the process, but it sounds like you are pulling the part off the outside of the original. So technically it would have slightly larger dimensions. Using that part as the plug should reduce the diameter back to stock and transfer the grain back to the outer side.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

i was hoping to just form this one but realized it would be dimensionally bigger.

so the real thing to do is make a "male" buck out of plaster or another medium that would handle the temps of the taffy-like sheet once it gets to forming temp.

i did more digging and it seems that they do sell a pebble grain material to do this. obviously, that adds to the cost.

i can nail the color with a SEM product. i think i saved the code when i had them make dye for my 86 jetta coupe. this is the same color as the plastic in a MK2

having said that...i think it would be an ez 150 bux for one. i just don't see the market willing to bear that cost. basically by the time i add up the time it would just cover costs. these would need to be hand trimmed afterwards as well....then add shipping....

i dunno...thoughts?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

This is the trim over the R/R window? I removed mine years ago and don't even notice the difference. We also hang small things from the aluminum curtain rod.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
This is the trim over the R/R window? I removed mine years ago and don't even notice the difference. We also hang small things from the aluminum curtain rod.

ditto - no practical need for it. now if you are restoring to factory it may have some merit though you are likely to find a good used one for the price you are looking for reproduction

MARK - why does your rear table look double thickness?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

We have found stowing the front table on top of the rear table works out best. The early tables have a post, so it's easy to take on and off the leg. A lightweight shock cord looped over both tables keeps it from sliding around. My laptop case fits behind the driver's seat.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

i realize the piece isn't needed....some may delete it. but when they are gone, that's it.

i dunno...i've always had the 'resto mod' mentality when i build stuff. the reality is i just dropped 500 bux on the OE curtain material too.... for what people try and peddle used up sun faded originals for it's a no brainer...plus pricing out 1/2 way decent curtain material there was about a 100.00 swing in some fabric store stuff or the real deal.

anyway i just like keeping certain things stock.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

I still have mine mostly intact, but it creaks in a gentle breeze and I swear is shedding dust as it ages.

My limit on something like this would be about $USD40 ex shipping.

Edit: just saw your other post. Yeah, $150 would be wildly out of the ballpark for me.

Robyn
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

^^^

yea, the juice isn't worth the squeeze to make these for sale. i figured as much

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

Not that they are not worth it at the price. I think the shop labor rate $145 and hour and I couldn't make one of those in an hour. Lawyers charge $500 and hour and no telling what hedge funds contribute to our economy. So, $150 is very reasonable, but you don't need it to keep the van flying. Thanks for asking.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

I've been meaning to design one for 3D printing purposes and throwing it on Thingiverse. That way one could make their own on their own schedule, assuming access to a printer large enough. The multi-piece idea is good too.

Robyn
procom32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

I just removed a cracked up one from my van when removing gross old curtains.
Definitely want a new one. It looks to be cost prohibitive with molding. If we found a vacuum form person that could be the ticket for something a bit more clean than a 2 piece 3D print.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

I have one and am in the process of reverse engineering it and making a useable model so that I can reproduce them. My apologies to timothy who lent me this one for taking so long.

I am a one man show and have been swamped with orders, custom orders, new product requests and a large stockup order for my distributor in Europe. I will get beck to finishing this up!

Cheers
Chris

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

well Chris it better be cheap because no one is willing to pay for one. i looked into either making one myself or having them made. i was at the ragged edge of 150 each and that was the break even/donate time and labor price.

everyone laughed....or when uggg. guess if it isn't being sold by GW it isn't worth the price.

in the meantime, i'll look at my dam near mint one while everyone else try's to find one. that said, when you come up with a solution put me down for one. i'd love to have a spare and know that mine is probably going to break at some point

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

will do! Smile

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

Any updates on the 3D printed, recreation of this curtain rail cover?

I'd also like to order one when they become available to purchase.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: early westy plastic curtain rail cover Reply with quote

I'm working on it slowly as I've been consistently swamped with work... I'll try harder on this. Smile

www.uniwerksdesign.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: