Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Taillight Conversion
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Bus Taillight Conversion Reply with quote

I want to convert my 73 Thing to 63 and up oval shaped Bus taillights. I knows it’s pretty popular so I’ve got a few questions. Do most people use original single bulb lights, or two bulb euro lights? Will original style lenses and rings fit on the euro bulb holders? And which rubber seal would I use if I can use original lenses and rings on the euro lights? And finally, which lights come on the early Things/Safaris/Trekkers?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Taillight Conversion Reply with quote

You might find this video interesting...

Link

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Taillight Conversion Reply with quote

Interesting. Ideally, I would like to buy some new euro bulb holders and seals, and use original Hella red Bus lenses and chrome rings. I’m just not sure they will work together.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Taillight Conversion Reply with quote

I like the look of the European lights too, but I worry about lowering the brake lights with all the people driving trucks and SUV's now days. Did you ever think about adding a 3rd brake light up high when you do your conversion? I really like the old Ford ones that say STOP when they're lit. Just a thought. Very Happy
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Taillight Conversion Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am slightly embarrassed about these lights. I bought this car that way.

The extra lights are sort of goofy, but not a deal breaker for me, since the car that this one replaces was wrecked in a rear end collision.

Those are real 181 part numbered lights. The red portions light with the brake lights. The yellow portions have red (5 Watt equivalent) LED bulbs in them, and function as rear fogs.

The standard (upper) brake lights are wired through a "Webelectric BLP-1" pulsing module which pulses the bulbs 4 times upon braking, then they just act like normal brake lights. The module resets after 20 seconds, to avoid nuisance pulsing in heavy traffic.
https://www.webelectricproducts.com/store/BLP-1-Brake-Light-Pulser-p264382490

With luck, no more rear-enders.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Taillight Conversion Reply with quote

That’s not really my style. But I can understand the need for one.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Taillight Conversion Reply with quote

Yikes!

I do not like elephant foot lights at all.

My '73 Thing had stock lights for the military edition:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Taillight Conversion Reply with quote

I used some generic two bulb lights from an ebay seller, they came from Brazil or Mexico if I remember. The seal goes/comes with the bulb holder as it's what holds the bulb holder in the car, and the lens just sit's on the top of the seal secured via the two screws. I don't have any original lenses but I did buy several sets/brands to play with, they all seem pretty interchangeable. I suspect you wouldn't have any trouble with original lenses and trim rings on aftermarket bulb holders, they don't really have the kind of interlocking internal partitions that the elephant feet lights have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: