Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker geometry?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Rocker geometry? Reply with quote

So I’m at the point where I’ve done all my measuring and was getting deck height. I have deck height on three of four cylinders. I am now having to disassemble the engine because of a problem with one of the rods. My question is can I put the barrels on without the Pistons “put some thing on the end of the rods so I don’t mess up the barrel” and start doing my rocker geometry. Or should I wait till the new rods come in and start from scratch. I realize I will have to remeasure my rods and also recheck my deck height. But do you think the deck height will be that much different with the new rods to change the geometry? Thanks for any input.
Don
ported polished heads 40x36 valves
010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker geometry? Reply with quote

donald.lemay wrote:
So I’m at the point where I’ve done all my measuring and was getting deck height. I have deck height on three of four cylinders. I am now having to disassemble the engine because of a problem with one of the rods. My question is can I put the barrels on without the Pistons “put some thing on the end of the rods so I don’t mess up the barrel” and start doing my rocker geometry. Or should I wait till the new rods come in and start from scratch. I realize I will have to remeasure my rods and also recheck my deck height. But do you think the deck height will be that much different with the new rods to change the geometry? Thanks for any input.
Don

Same length rods and it wouldn’t matter.

Start messing with pistons and it’d likely matter because the wrist pin heights seem to be different between brands.

Valvetrain won’t know there’s no rods or piston in this case I suppose.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker geometry? Reply with quote

different rods can change it,but not if your going with same length rods.I would just waight till I get that end done and then move on to the geo.
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker geometry? Reply with quote

Another question about setting rock or geometry. How many turns from bottomed out with elephant feet on CB rockers do you turn them for initial setting. I’m messing around I did one and a half turns from bottomed out. Also I had my rockers back cut. It seems with one turn out it just barely clears when you rock the elephant foot all the way around. So I figure an extra half turn it could never bind.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker geometry? Reply with quote

What lift are you at in this picture? Hopefully not 0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker geometry? Reply with quote

Halfway way
010 distributor
VS 42mm exhaust
40 IDF carbs
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker geometry? Reply with quote

I set my geo& pushrod length/lash at about 1/4 to 1/2 max out from seated. but that can be hard to work up to unless your real used to doing this stuff.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rocker geometry? Reply with quote

This might be half lift, but it doesn't look right. The valve stem and the adjuster don't look inline.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: