Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 ltr Catalytic converter, Muffler and Tail Pipe
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: 1.9 ltr Catalytic converter, Muffler and Tail Pipe Reply with quote

I just installed a new Catalytic converter (48 state from Van-Cafe), Muffler (from BusDepot) and Tail Pipe (from Van-Cafe). I noticed my tail pipe is angled down. My previous one was parallel with the ground. Also the new tail pipe is longer than my old one, 9" vs 7 1/4" measured from the outside of the flange. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong. Below are some photos.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 ltr Catalytic converter, Muffler and Tail Pipe Reply with quote

Tailpipe looks fine to me. The GW one is the weirdest tailpipe I've seen. Without out a donut type flange, your sort of stuck with the angle you have. Or, you could cut the flange off and reweld to your aesthetic. I wouldn't go to the trouble.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 ltr Catalytic converter, Muffler and Tail Pipe Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for the response. Yes, I guess I will just live with it pointed down a little. The muffler I used is a Bosal. Maybe its bracket was off a little.
Brad
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 ltr Catalytic converter, Muffler and Tail Pipe Reply with quote

Actually down will keep moisture from collecting and rusting out. And you can dry your socks.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 ltr Catalytic converter, Muffler and Tail Pipe Reply with quote

Westified wrote:
Thanks Mark for the response. Yes, I guess I will just live with it pointed down a little. The muffler I used is a Bosal. Maybe its bracket was off a little.
Brad
Pretty much matches my experience with installing the VC exhaust kit as well on my ‘84.

Here’s a picture of the then new Vintage Speed tailpipe that I bought some months later, still at a downward angle.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 ltr Catalytic converter, Muffler and Tail Pipe Reply with quote

Are some of the holes slightly oval to allow some rotational adjustment? Possibly the ones on the muffler at the cat end? It has been years but my recollection is that mine could be adjusted a little that way.
DMacIndy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 ltr Catalytic converter, Muffler and Tail Pipe Reply with quote

Westified wrote:
I just installed a new Catalytic converter (48 state from Van-Cafe), Muffler (from BusDepot) and Tail Pipe (from Van-Cafe). I noticed my tail pipe is angled down. My previous one was parallel with the ground. Also the new tail pipe is longer than my old one, 9" vs 7 1/4" measured from the outside of the flange. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong. Below are some photos.

Awesome! I was just thinking that I need to replace all this on my 83.5. Looks pretty good to me.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 ltr Catalytic converter, Muffler and Tail Pipe Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Are some of the holes slightly oval to allow some rotational adjustment? Possibly the ones on the muffler at the cat end? It has been years but my recollection is that mine could be adjusted a little that way.
You may be onto to something there. My tail pipe gained a bit of ‘horizontal’ attitude after removing my cat and muffler to lower my engine bar and motor mounts. While new motor mounts definitely changed the engine position, I’m also thinking that the exhaust tweaked a bit more in rotation while reinstalling it.
I should post a picture of before and after tomorrow once it’s daylight again. I think I have 1 stored pic from the tail pipe install , but looking from the side.
However, the VS tail pipe doesn’t have that S curve on it like the one that the OP is showing, just a gentle curve to it.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: