Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Post fracture 1835 build thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

In late October 2020, I fell from a ladder and suffered a fracture of my L1 lumbar vertebrae. Thankfully I did not need surgery but it has been a long recovery. Lots of time in bed gave me an excuse to plan and purchase parts for this build. It will be going into my 74 Super Beetle. I have pretty much everything I need except the heads, which I will order after mocking up and checking deck height. I'm aiming for about 9:1 CR. Here are a few pictures of the parts all laid out on a table and a summary.

Case freshly line bored and decked 0.010" drilled for full flow
DPR counterweighted and balanced 69mm crank
DPR balanced german rods
DPR lightened and balanced flywheel
CB 2239 camshaft
Silverline bearings
Lightly used 92mm Mahle P&C kit (new rings on the way). I will probably use a flex hone to clean these up a little
CB adjustable cam gear
CB maxi5 full flow oil pump
Larger venturies and jets for my dual Kadrons (not pictured)
Vintage Speed sport exhaust (not pictured)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laid out in the warm basement for initial mock up. Once it's warmer out and my back is fully recovered (I'm about 80% now), I'll clean up the garage and complete final assembly on my engine stand there.

This should be fun!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

I build long blocks in my basement and just get a friend to help carry it up the stairs and into my garage.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

What heads are you considering?
I have an 1835 that's been through several heads/ exhausts/ carburetors. By far the best running combo was the latest, Steve Timms ported and polished super stock with 36 Dellortos. It ran pretty well with Kadrons too, with the same heads. I'm curious if Panchitos would be any better, but for sure the generic 044 heads I tried 10 years ago killed the bottom end.
SD
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I have an 1835 that's been through several heads/ exhausts/ carburetors. By far the best running combo was the latest, Steve Timms ported and polished super stock with 36 Dellortos. It ran pretty well with Kadrons too, with the same heads. I'm curious if Panchitos would be any better, but for sure the generic 044 heads I tried 10 years ago killed the bottom end.
SD

I was actually considering stock AA 500 casting heads. I'd order them cut for 92s and ccs.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

aberg83 wrote:
esde wrote:
SD

I was actually considering stock AA 500 casting heads. I'd order them cut for 92s and ccs.

I remember from your previous thread on heads, that budget was an issue ordering from the US and being in Canada.

I know it may be a bit of a stretch $$$ but the ported Tim's super stockers would really be awesome for this engine. Hand worked heads make a big difference, and are worth the money.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

Can you post pics of the case mains? THe nose pic of the #4 bearing saddle does not look right to me. Could just be lighting - if that is what I am seeing.

Also - i am happy you are doing well from that fall. You got lucky!

I have known some people fall from a ladder w/ my work. Not pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

sled wrote:
aberg83 wrote:
esde wrote:
SD

I remember from your previous thread on heads, that budget was an issue ordering from the US and being in Canada.

I know it may be a bit of a stretch $$$ but the ported Tim's super stockers would really be awesome for this engine. Hand worked heads make a big difference, and are worth the money.

When I last priced them out, they were a little outside my budget. I'll take another look.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Can you post pics of the case mains? THe nose pic of the #4 bearing saddle does not look right to me. Could just be lighting - if that is what I am seeing.

Thanks, I was definitely lucky. Landed right on my feet from about 12 feet off the ground. Could have been much worse.

Here are some pics of the line bore.

Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I build long blocks in my basement and just get a friend to help carry it up the stairs and into my garage.

It's funny that so many do it this way. Laughing

I built and mocked-up everything in the comfort of a room in my basement... then stripped it down to a longblock when I moved it to the garage.
I just tilted the engine stand over to lay the engine down gently, then scooped it up with a hand truck.
Wheeled it out the side (ground level) door of the basement and up to the garage to reassemble.

Now it will have to come apart again to go in the car. Rolling Eyes
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
CB2292 cam + straight cut gears
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

aberg83 wrote:
nsracing wrote:

Thanks, I was definitely lucky. Landed right on my feet from about 12 feet off the ground. Could have been much worse.

I rode the top of a 12ft stepladder to the ground one time long ago.
Thats when I learned not to lean a stepladder against a wall like an extension ladder. Laughing
5.5 H-beams
Mahle 94mm pistons
AA jugs
Grant rings
CB2292 cam + straight cut gears
46/37.5 CNC Wedgeports
Pauter 1.5's
Big Beef intakes
44IDF's/38 vents
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

With shipping and exchange rate, the Tims heads are about $275 CAD more than the AA 500's.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

I built my first VW engine on a kitchen table. Toredown the engine in the kitchen in my apartment w/ lots of newspaper/rags on the floor. The wife was at work and it was nite. By morning I was all cleaned up. Laughing
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

aberg83 wrote:
With shipping and exchange rate, the Tims heads are about $275 CAD more than the AA 500's.

And worth every penny of that!!

The AA heads can be made to work, but you will need to put some time into them, and you will need to have a decent quality valve job done.

Out of the box, the AA heads are a bit disappointing. Especially the 40x35 version. With the right work, and a good valve job, the 35x32 AA500 can flow about 135-140+ cfm with a small port volume. Add the 37mm intake, correct port work, and they can do 150-155+.

Out of the box the AA500 35x32's are usually just under 125cfm. Same thing with the 40x35's, but they start choking and whistling BAD.

For what you are building, the AA500 35x32, knock the guides out, clean up the bowls good, blend the seat's in the chambers with a dummy valve in place, unshroud the top 1/3 of the intake side, press in new guides, then have a local engine machine shop do a real serdi style 3 angle valve job, and hone the guides to fit.

If you don't want to/can't do this....Just get the Tims Super streets.

Brian
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

And worth every penny of that!!

I'll think about it.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

Im just curious, and I definitely don't intend for this to sound rude, but I wonder what percentage of the entire build cost, the additional $275 would be? 5%?

heads and cam are the most influential parts to how an engine performs (for a given displacement obviously). The only reason we're suggesting these to you, is we want your engine to be MORE fun Very Happy Cool
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Im just curious, and I definitely don't intend for this to sound rude, but I wonder what percentage of the entire build cost, the additional $275 would be? 5%?

heads and cam are the most influential parts to how an engine performs (for a given displacement obviously). The only reason we're suggesting these to you, is we want your engine to be MORE fun Very Happy Cool

No offence taken - you make a good point.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

Started mocking up the build. Measured deck height at cylinder #1 at 0.032". Looking for advice on shim size to order, 0.01" or 0.02"?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

Most everyone recommends 0.040" deck height. Except Tucker! Laughing
So if you were to stick with that and install a 0.010" shim will get ya 0.042" deck height.
For a bus engine it should help overall.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

aberg83 wrote:
Started mocking up the build. Measured deck height at cylinder #1 at 0.032". Looking for advice on shim size to order, 0.01" or 0.02"?

.010 shim and 54cc chambers for 8.5:1

you really should check deck on the 3/4 side as well.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Post fracture 1835 build thread Reply with quote

sled wrote:
aberg83 wrote:

.010 shim and 54cc chambers for 8.5:1

you really should check deck on the 3/4 side as well.

Oh I am don't worry. #3 was also bang on .032. Will set up for #4 tomorrow. I was thinking 50cc for 9:1.

Also the cylinder bases are very tight in the case. Had to use the deck height measuring tool to cinch them down. They do fit but I'm not sure how I will remove them. Is it a problem to be this tight? On the 1600 I built last year they weren't this tight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: