Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

repair to round reproduction spare tire tool kit
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: repair to round reproduction spare tire tool kit Reply with quote

Way back in 1998 or so I bought one of those very early reproduction spare tire tool kits with the VW logo on them, with the made in India or wherever tools from Richard Hartel of Vintage Motor Works. I took my real Hazet spare tire tool kit out of my Oval and replaced it with this. "If" it got stolen at a show or something, I figured at least I didn't loose my perfect and complete original Hazet kit. And if I had a breakdown, those cheap tools ought at least to help get me going again... As you can tell from the photos, I have never used any of the tools.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just looked at it again closely after 23 years of riding around in the Oval unused, and I discovered that the ring on the backside that I assume is spot-welded to the round case is mostly separated. Several of the welds seem to still be holding...

I figured it would be nice to repair it, and instead of having someone spot weld it and have to touch up the paint/flocking, I'm wondering out loud if anyone out there thinks that some modern autobody panel adhesive might be a strong enough and clean way to reattach the ring fully to the round case.

Thoughts and suggestions anyone? Thanks!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: repair to round reproduction spare tire tool kit Reply with quote

Hi Bill, long time no hear from !!! I would sure try some panel adhesive/epoxy first, I mean what to you have to lose. On a side note, I was at Richard Hartel's house when the first load of 1,000 tool boxes arrived..The truck driver was adamant about him not unloading the truck, so, Richard and I did it, all 1,000 of them, in August, in inland southern CA..as a way of saying thank you, Richard presented me with one of the toolboxes, stamped from Stainless Steel, and polished...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: repair to round reproduction spare tire tool kit Reply with quote

Hi Dave! Great to hear from you! I hope you and yours are all doing well.

Yeah, I figured to carefully pop the remaining spot welds to fully remove the ring, Dremel/sand off any paint or surface rust from the two contact surfaces and visit an Auto Body shop to see if they could lay a thin bead of adhesive and clamp it up to see if that'll work? I got nothing to lose!

I still have "Martha" in my collection, in fact that is the Oval that this tool kit has been riding around in for so long! I'm about to start in on a '57 Kabriolett project that's been sleeping in the back of my 7-car garage since 1993!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: