Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Well it finally happened, I couldn't put off dealing with my seam rust any longer. I've been wanting to upgrade my battery setup and add a Truckfridge, but if I was going to be in there mucking around I wanted to deal with the typical kitchen rust too. And while I'm doing that, I might as well deal with all of it!

So here we are.... acceptance.

She still cleans up nice.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But up close there's the telltale signs.

Armed with a naivety of what was to be in store for me, I got to reading here and, and then reading some more. I don't have any welding skills, so I'm trying to avoid cutting metal out... but we'll see.

My approach has been to get in as close to the source of the rust as possible, and seal the ever living daylights out of it. I'm trying to do this job once...

I'm going to need reinforcements

My plan is to get access to both sides of the seams, and then wire brush, grind, and blast away the rust to the bare (or as bare as possible) seam. Then Ospho, then steam, then epoxy based primer, then seam sealer (3M seam sealer), then paint. Whew. [/code]
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

I know behind those seams it's even worse. I'm full of dread thinking about what the inside looks like... Years ago I had the van repainted and I can tell there were many corners cut. I'm committed to fixing this correctly, but man this is going to be a lot of work.

Pulling the interior to see how bad it is.

The whole floor is covered in sound deadening mat. I believe you only need 25% of a surface covered to deaden the panel, but PO covered everything. I've pulled most of it up, and found water underneath, and rust. I think it's coming from wet ski boots, etc soaking through the flooring and finding its way underneath. I'm going to need to find a new flooring solution but that's a problem for another day.

Luckily I have a helper to pull up this old sticky mess

seam under the rear bench, next to the sliding door (post wire brushing). This is one of the worst areas, the other being behind the kitchen.

It's just like everyone says - it's always worse than it looks Shocked The more I chased the rust, the more interior I needed to pull.

Might as well just pull it all!

More to come...
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

I feel your pain! It will feel great to have the rust taken care of....I promise.

Interesting on the discovery of water under the sound deadener Shocked It does not seem to be an uncommon practice to pave the whole area. I will be certainly keeping this in mind when we add sound deadener.

Thanks for posting that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
It does not seem to be an uncommon practice to pave the whole area. I will be certainly keeping this in mind when we add sound deadener.

Thanks for posting that.

putting that stuff on the floors is suicide and pretty much guarantees it will trap water. i will never buy a car that has had that done to the floors and same goes with bed liner

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting on the discovery of water under the sound deadener Shocked It does not seem to be an uncommon practice to pave the whole area. I will be certainly keeping this in mind

Quote:
putting that stuff on the floors is suicide and pretty much guarantees it will trap water.

I appreciate trying to reduce road noise, but sticking that down all over the floor definitely doesn't seem worth the risk. I'm not sure it even makes that big of a difference, to be honest. I may put down a layer of MLV (mass loaded vinyl) as a sound barrier, but it will be floating so I'll be able to see what's doing underneath. I also need to rethink my floor - I had basic Home Depot click together vinyl flooring in there, and water would get in between the cracks / planks.

I still have quite a bit of fat mat in the van, I think I'm going to pull most of it out... maybe leave a square in the middle of each flat surface for deadening, but finding / fixing all the rust of priority 1.
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Last night I fired up the blaster and went to town on the kitchen interior seams (there's actually 2 that are rusty), as well as the seam on the floor by the slider.

Initially I tried fine crushed walnut in my Harbor Freight media blaster, but the nozzle kept clogging and I wasn't getting anywhere - I probably need a larger diameter nozzle?

Anyway, I gave up on the walnut and ran out and picked up some blasting baking soda. Getting the blaster to blast was a bit of black art! I'd either get just air, or too much soda... or a combo of both in succession. I finally figured out if you open the abrasive valve about half way you get (roughly) the right combo of air to media to get a consistent spray - that took about an hour of trial and error.

These are the 'after' pics from a good amount of soda blasting. I'm wondering if the soda is aggressive enough? It strips the surface rust and paint, but leaves the deeper rust looking like in the pictures (you can really see the current state in the second pic). Is this surface ready for Ospho? Or should I hit the seams with crushed glass media (or something else?) before I paint on the phosphoric acid?

One other question - in the first pic you can see a rust hole Crying or Very sad It's small, and not in a very visible place so I'm hoping I can repair it myself with decent results. Any non-welding suggestions for this little hole? If not, I have a buddy who has a cheap welder (and enough skills to be dangerous lol).
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread. I'm in the same place. Similar-looking rust on my van, and similar skills apparently...
Good luck, and keep us posted! Great pics, keep it up.
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Thanks for this thread. I'm in the same place. Similar-looking rust on my van, and similar skills apparently...
Good luck, and keep us posted! Great pics, keep it up.

Thanks, appreciate it! There's tons of info on rust here, but it's all spread out and sometimes outdated I think - does anyone use POR15 anymore?. I wanted to just document my attempt at doing things as completely as possible, without welding in new metal or needing specialized skills. I definitely don't have specialized skills lol.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Using a rust convertor generally requires some rust to convert.

How you treat your rust is a personal decision that varies wildly from person to person.
Each person swears that their product/method is best.

Ospho, rinse, epoxy primer, sealer, paint.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

I just bought that same Harbor Fright sand blaster and found that if I throttle the lower sand supply valve halfway it puts out a better flow.

I'm also doing the rust thing right now so I'll be posting pic's soon.

Check that area inside behind the rear jacking point and do some preventive spraying of FluidFilm or other treatment. I have Dvr's side rusting inside there and there are a few repair threads on it already so it is a problem area.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

VanMan2009 wrote:

Initially I tried fine crushed walnut in my Harbor Freight media blaster, but the nozzle kept clogging and I wasn't getting anywhere - I probably need a larger diameter nozzle?

These are the 'after' pics from a good amount of soda blasting. I'm wondering if the soda is aggressive enough? It strips the surface rust and paint, but leaves the deeper rust looking like in the pictures (you can really see the current state in the second pic). Is this surface ready for Ospho? Or should I hit the seams with crushed glass media (or something else?) before I paint on the phosphoric acid?

One other question - in the first pic you can see a rust hole Crying or Very sad It's small, and not in a very visible place so I'm hoping I can repair it myself with decent results. Any non-welding suggestions for this little hole? If not, I have a buddy who has a cheap welder (and enough skills to be dangerous lol).

Walnut shells are what you throw into running jet engines to clean the blades-Literally!
Glass is too soft and used to polish aluminum surfaces to mirror finishes-works good for tthat.

Sand and not BEACH SAND (like my neighbor wants me to use since he has a barrel full of it he wants to get rid of...Beach Sand is usually found right alongside salt water where he got his from!)

Actual sand for sandblasting does not come from beach sand and doesn't have salt in it!

The Black Oxide Grit Blast is $$$ and Harbor Fright has it. It works well.
You really want to throw down a clean tarp on the ground to sweep up the media as it's $$$ and you can recycle it by straining the larger particles out that will clog the valves and nozzle.

Too much air pressure is going to help make more holes then you knew existed!

I'm using OSPHO on the bare metal right away after blasting. They advertise it for use on bare metals as it creates a phosphate coating on the metal and according to them if also creates a better adhesion for the primer to stick too.
i do not want to use an "Acid-Etch" primer over it as the Ospho is doing that to the meatal already.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I truly appreciate efforts to stop seam rust to preserve a van.

On the flip side, I may eventually get around to posting my thread "In Defense of Seam Rust". There is so much worry about harmless seam rust here that I feel the need to counterbalance that worry with:

1 - No camping trip was ever harmed by seam rust
2 - Unlike salt-state van-killing corrosion, seam rust is different (see #1)

Here's some seam rust I've been patiently growing since 2014. Hundreds of camping nights and 60K miles paid no attention to this endearing part of an old van. It creeps, I drive and camp.

My '85 had no seam rust at all (NM van) but I prefer the slightly rusty '90.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I see your point, but to me the idea is that it's better to treat it now before it spreads and becomes harder to deal with. and/or more costly.
I'm like OP, I could deal with the level of rust he has, but holes and stuff, I don't have the skills nor the gear.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

I too am interested in the best way to flog my seam rust, without actually tearing into the van.
I've read other posts about this, but haven't done it.
Can't find that advice in the quagmire of rust posts.

I want to do whatever slows it's advance.
Currently I only have outdoor parking.

I can sandblast it off from the outside ....and treat it, then paint it.
This would be pretty quick and I'd do it if I had proper advice and a little kick in the pants.

I've been doing the Jimf909 method, where "no camping trips were harmed".

Currently planning to sand blast, treat with ospho, paint with epoxy, camp.
Hopefully soon.

Jim if better intermediate advice pops up, come over and we'll sandblast yours too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

I recently did my seems, luckily there wasnt rust but just cracked and falling out(desert heat). The one advice i could give would be what product to use when sealing it back up.

3m panel bond adhesive, it's pricey and you need a fancy gun but it works very well. about half a tube did my van. Best part is its sandable, so if you goof up a seem it can be fixed

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08115-Panel-Bonding-Adhe...amp;sr=8-1
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Funny how this story goes. Mine came with the kitchen rot well along, having the PO admitting to his daughters that he should have fixed it right. Instead, he paved it with Bondo.

I have been picking bits of seam sealer out over the last 6 years, picking at the bubbles, prying up the loose Bondo, and treating the rust with Ospho/steam/Ospho/steam/primer/topcoat for a few years. Every time I see it looking a bit like rust, I go ahead and pull whatever I can out of the bubbles, cracks (mechanics pick) and go at it again. Usually a twice a year thing for me. I have not seen much advancing of the actual rust in all this time. Just keep on it, and pick it out asap, and primer, topcoat with my color (LP7Y) from some place on ebay that does VW colors. Sure, its like $35 / spray can, but I am satisfied for short term. She'll never be a trailer queen, so what.

Long term, I do have wheel well, side wall and floor sheet metal repair panels sitting here waiting to do the full job.

Long story short, keep it picked out, and treated, it won't really move too fast if you do that often enough.

Of significant note on my situation: Iowa, and I run in all 4 seasons, salty roads, and limestone gravel dust. As bad as it can possibly get.

-bobby
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Black Diamond is the cheap go to for blasting media last time I checked.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/black-diamond-medium-blasting-abrasives

This cheapo gun works well with it. https://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

Regardless of media it's going to be a huge mess.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

mitch5 wrote:
I recently did my seems, luckily there wasnt rust but just cracked and falling out(desert heat). The one advice i could give would be what product to use when sealing it back up.

3m panel bond adhesive, it's pricey and you need a fancy gun but it works very well. about half a tube did my van. Best part is its sandable, so if you goof up a seem it can be fixed

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08115-Panel-Bonding-Adhe...amp;sr=8-1

You don't need that fancy gun.
I made an adapter for my normal caulk gun to squeeze two tubes simultaneously.
A few pieces of pine, some dowels and screws, $10 if you had to buy it, free if you collect piles of crap.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

Screened playsand with a good respirator and full hood. 10 mins for a job like that. Clean up takes longer.
Want to blast? Go big time.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam rust sucks. (plus a bunch of other things, eventually) Reply with quote

If I hadn't cut mine fully out I think I'd be trying to find a place that does this and show up with some spray bombs of 2-part epoxy primer

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: