Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

erratic Tachometer 1993 MV
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: erratic Tachometer 1993 MV Reply with quote

So I've noticed that my tachometer is not giving me accurate readings. It shows as being at 0 rpms for most driving except for when the auto trans switches gears -- then it jumps to close to 4K and then once it's in the higher gear, it drops back down to zero.

On a side note, the odometer isn't turning and only the tenths of a mile part of the trip odometer is turning. I don't think the odometer issues are tied to the tachometer issues but figured I would throw them in there on the off chance there is one simple fix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: erratic Tachometer 1993 MV Reply with quote

Yes, not related. The tach is electrical off I thought the alternator. The Odometer reads mechanically off the speedometer cable that runs from the transmission to the back of the gauges cluster. Are you getting odd speedo readings?
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: erratic Tachometer 1993 MV Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
Yes, not related. The tach is electrical off I thought the alternator. The Odometer reads mechanically off the speedometer cable that runs from the transmission to the back of the gauges cluster. Are you getting odd speedo readings?

No, the speedometer seems pretty dead on. I drove past one of those radar speed signs and it was within a mile of the speedo at 45 mph. My guess is that the odometer is just a problem with the gears and just needs me to repair it. The tach is just erratic. I figure if I am going to have to remove the instrument cluster, I would like to just fix it all at the same time but with the tach, no idea where to start. I also saw on Youtube that you have to remove the steering wheel to remove the cluster. Oh joy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: erratic Tachometer 1993 MV Reply with quote

It's pretty easy on a 93. No clockspring or airbag. You pull the horn button cover off, and disconnect the wire. The springs may take off. Then its just a large socket on an extension and the steering wheel comes right off.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: erratic Tachometer 1993 MV Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
It's pretty easy on a 93. No clockspring or airbag. You pull the horn button cover off, and disconnect the wire. The springs may take off. Then its just a large socket on an extension and the steering wheel comes right off.

Thanks, it looked pretty easy in the video. I've had an old Nardi steering wheel that I acquired about fifteen years ago. I kept hoping for a project to install it but thought it was pretty stupid to remove an airbag for an old steering wheel. I think the 1993 might be the project to try it. I guess it goes on the vast list of things to do to the MV.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: erratic Tachometer 1993 MV Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing, no tack and no odometer I have a spare speedometer unit so I think I will switch it out. And the odometer works so we're going to find out.Also my temp gauge is inop..It feels like my bay so I'm right at home Gas gauge and speedometer only...The swap looks easy though...Thanks Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: