Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

I had a 1971 Ghia in 1977, drove it to college in Ft Wayne IN year round, only pic I have is from Blizzard of 1978. It was pearl yellow, with mountain murals on the hood and trunk, rusty rockers and tins, no heat, I traded it away like an idiot. I finally got another Ghia, got very lucky with a 1964 that's very solid, came from Wyoming, needs restored but not a lot, left rear window is gone, one bumper missing, came with a lot of new parts. Dash is very nice and original, showing 75,000 miles that looks original. It has plastic amber front turn signals, but also came with a single clear glass type that was broke, but had a good glass also. Did they switch to plastic in 64? It also has color changing headlights and a header muffler, I may keep the muffler but the headlights have to go. The black roof looks original also, let the fun begin.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

It looks like it’s had a hard life. I’m glad you’ve got your hands on it now and it will come off a treat. Welcome back!
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Popcorn

You should do some YouTube walk arounds and progress reports and things like that and post them here in this thread so we can all see what you’re doing.
Wink

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

saphire 1 radio?
I have a saphire 2 in my'63...thought it was original.
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
saphire 1 radio?
I have a saphire 2 in my'63...thought it was original.

My VIN is 5718915, looks like it may be a 63? Well, made in 63 I guess, but a 64 model. It came with one early front turn signal housing and two clear glass lenses, one broke, has later amber ones mounted. I haven't even looked through the box of parts that came with it yet. I've added all my photos to my gallery, so far I'm missing the front bumper, door panels, and driver's quarter window. Does the dash look like Rudy red? It seems a lighter shade of red to me. I also have the original carburetor.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Welcome back to the Ghia world! Your VIN is approx. 1100 earlier than my '64 Coupe. Soon after I bought it in 1993 I sent away for the birth certificate at VW in Germany, indicating it was built on Aug. 21. That is 3 weeks into the '64 model year. Mine spent years in Arizona so that it was relatively solid as to lack of rust, but had a cheap respray in orange.

1964 model year had numerous small changes in the first half of the model year, such as:
-Glass front blinker lenses with a chrome retaining ring to amber plastic cones (Oct. '63)
-Dashboard had a separate radio grill, then deleted for perforations
-Wheels painted 2-tone with ivory centers and black outers along with outer section trim rings (yours has 3 of 4 such rings), going to all-black (Jan. '64) with slotted beauty rings
-Rectangular depressions in the engine left and right surround panels from large to smaller format

When you search for a rear bumper, know that there are small differences between 1956 thru 1971. Those year ranges will all fit your '64, but details vary as to the side blade length due to the size of the rear wheelwell cutout, holes on the top of the side blades for reverse lights (as of '67), the length of the outer "towel bars" (wrap-around thru '69; short for '70 & '71). There are 8 pieces for the rear bumper which all bolt together. It'll be rare to find a good used one for your year/era on which all 8 pieces are in good shape; often at least 1 piece is bent/dented or rusted and should be replaced. The fasteners for the 8 pieces tend to rust, so be prepared to do some prep work before loosening them.

Yours has the correct steering wheel and horn bar. Your engine compartment sound insulation also looks to be complete and not torn which is quite a bonus.

Your header is a Ghia-specific one, so try to hang onto that. Ghia headers made in the '70's thru early '90's had the triangular flange for the muffler oriented so that the triangle was pointing up and the bottom was parallel to the road. The header pipes were shaped closer together so that the entire "height" of the header was more compact than a generic Type 1 header. This allowed the pipes to be more hidden behind the Ghia rear apron. The Ghia header also came with a muffler that had a more gentle bend than yours so that the header's rear edge was basically parallel to the apron when viewed from above.

Looking forward to progress reports.
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

You mentioned you have the original carburetor, when it's time reach out toTim at Volksbitz, he restores carburetors, and makes them look brand new.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

That firewall insulation is in outstanding condition! I have a 64 coupe as well. The insulation was rotted and crumbling. The reproduction stuff is just thin rubber but the original is a thicker fiber-like material (no clue what it is) with an oil/tar coating. I would definitely keep it if you can. The pieces over the inner wheel wells are glued in place so if you decide to remove in order to paint, go real slow.

My 64 came with the later turn signals. You might also have the earlier style headlight buckets.

Looks like you have the original trunk liner too. It might be beat up but keep it! Good luck with your project!
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Thanks guys so much for the info! I got it to start up and drove down the block, the shift is real sloppy, doesn't want to go into 3rd gear, so probably bushings. Went through the box of parts, almost every seal and gasket needed for a paint job and windows, Score!

I only have a lower rear bumper piece, not sure what year, most likely not a correct 64. I have a few of the side trim pieces above the rocker, but not all. Has a roll of cloth fabric, looks like the PO was planning on seat covers, it has generic black seat covers on it now.

I'm thinking I will get it running and have some fun driving it for a while instead of tearing it apart for a restoration, too easy to turn it into a basket case that sits forever.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm thinking I will get it running and have some fun driving it for a while instead of tearing it apart for a restoration, too easy to turn it into a basket case that sits forever

Great plan!! Just tinker with mechanicals and enjoy it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

That's a sensible plan. If you want to get the lower body- the large areas now in grey primer- into one color, you could buy a quart of Rust-O-Leum rusty metal primer, add a few drops of red and possibly white from a small enamel model paint bottle to come close to the color on the driver's door, then use a high density small foam roller to put on 1 or 2 coats. That'll buy you time for your paint resto because the RoL primer will seal the porous grey primer; acting more of a mid-term topcoat.

You now have the driver's side headlamp out. Does that, as well as the passenger side headlamp, have a reasonably firm mount in the fender or the headlamp bowl so that you can do without the black tape?

You'll also get a lot of air leakage into the interior from the lack of a horn rubber boot, but that might work for you if it gets warm outside.
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Roller paint is a great idea, I found there's a strip of bondo on the right rear quarter, probably had scraping dent. Headlights were LED color changing PO duct taped in, another to do item. I haven't pulled black seat covers off, looks like ivory and cloth.

Last edited by 55chevy on Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

That's cool! I found red and black hounds tooth under my rear seats and wasn't sure if it was right for my year. Now I feel much better about it.

As far as I know no one is really selling or reproducing that exact weave of fabric. I went to the Website for West Coast Classic VW/Lenny Copp and I think their reproductions are solid vinyl for that year on the rear seats.

If anyone knows where to find it, please post!
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
That's cool! I found red and black hounds tooth under my rear seats and wasn't sure if it was right for my year. Now I feel much better about it.

This chart doesn't show 64, but later years use same fabrics.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodesghia.php

Rome wrote:
You now have the driver's side headlamp out. Does that, as well as the passenger side headlamp, have a reasonably firm mount in the fender or the headlamp bowl so that you can do without the black tape?

You'll also get a lot of air leakage into the interior from the lack of a horn rubber boot, but that might work for you if it gets warm outside.

I took both LED color changing lights out and the duct tape, it was a typical jerry rigged attempt with lights for a Jeep LOL. The bowl area is pretty solid, and I have some of the hardware for the old headlights, missing one outer ring, and have one regular sealed beam headlight, will be a challenge to put them back original.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
That's cool! I found red and black hounds tooth

Someone told me they found a match at Audi.
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Found the owner's manual in my glovebox woo hoo!

55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

I found front and rear bumpers on FB, some needs rechromed but not bad at $150 for both. I can't tell if the red is primer or a repaint, the color behind the rear bumper is a weird shade of red, doesn't look like ruby red to me, and doesn't match the dashboard. Also got some hub caps and trim rings yesterday, road trip to Richmoond, met a VW guy with a cool 66 Beetle. I still want to get some decent original trim rings, I'm missing one and others are dinged up.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Excellent score on the bumpers, as well as the trim rings. I think the bumpers will look presentable with some vigorous polishing with 0000 steel wool, then Autosol chrome polish or similar. Paint the inner surfaces with silver MasterSeries after sanding the rust areas with 80-100 grit to knock down the rust craters. The left rear blade is for a '67 thru '69 with that reverse light, and the right rear blade does not appear to have one. That's OK because even though it's not stock for '64, having at least one reverse light is a practical item, and you'd want it on the driver's side.

I have that exact configuration on my '64; had bought the left rear blade in the mid 1980's when prices were reasonable.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Nice find on the parts. I keep an eye on local ads but rarely ever see any KG parts up here in Vermont. If I do there's not much value. Vermont winters were not kind to these cars.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: I'm back, got a keeper 64 coupe Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Excellent score on the bumpers, as well as the trim rings. I think the bumpers will look presentable with some vigorous polishing with 0000 steel wool, then Autosol chrome polish or similar. Paint the inner surfaces with silver MasterSeries after sanding the rust areas with 80-100 grit to knock down the rust craters. The left rear blade is for a '67 thru '69 with that reverse light, and the right rear blade does not appear to have one. That's OK because even though it's not stock for '64, having at least one reverse light is a practical item, and you'd want it on the driver's side.

Nice looking Ghia!
Both rear blades have back up lights, I do have a rear bumper that came with my 64, but it didn't have the towel rack or bumperettes. I think it's in better shape than this one, so will probably go without the back up lights. The guy I got the bumpers from in Hampton VA has a bunch of VW parts, he said he found me a complete headlight assembly also.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: