Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDX/SW WA New to Area . .
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

I know there’s a lot of Sambanistas around here, so what’s up? I relocated from NorCal to about 20 mi outside Vancouver, WA, and a couple months later COViD. So after hunkering in the bunker for quite some time, wondering where to look for Vanagon related stuff as some form of “normal” returns.

So first up, where should I take my van for service? Previously I had Stephen’s guys at SAH do almost all my work. The PO used Valley Wagen Works in Marin and the Bus Lab. Most importantly, who does good WBX work. Tyler at SAH took really good care of me and my Vans.

Second, where are the meet ups, camp outs and General VW jackassery? Global pandemics obviously affect such foolishness, but what a Must I looking for? What will replace Syncrofest and Burning Van? All I know about for the PNW is Descend on Bend and Mogfest.

Any help is greatly appreciated, it’s lonely here with no VW kinfolk around . . .
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Welcome to the area! Portland is awesome for Vanagons, there's a TON of us here!

Join the Portland Vanagons FB group, and Wet Westies. A lot of the local meetups'll get posted there.

Rose City Volksters host a lot of open general VW events that you don't have to be a club member to attend and a lot of Vanagons go to.

We've got Descend on Bend, The Unsuperbowl, and Pacific Waterland for big yearly events off the top of my head.

Or just toss out a "hey" on Portland Vanagons, people'll meet up for whatever.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
VW jackassery?

I can appreciate some general VW jackassery!

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Welcome to the PNW! Lot's going on around here and soooo much to see. Hope you bought Descend tickets as they may be sold out by now.
Can't help you on service as I do all my own work but Dave at D&M Automotive in Beaverton is great. He has helped many of my buddies on their Vanagons.
See you around!
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Whatever happened to the "PDX Area is Happening" thread?

EDIT: Oops. I serched rong Embarassed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598311&highlight=portland

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by photogdave on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Covid put a damper on our Monday gatherings. Someday.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678328&highlight=portland

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Covid put a damper on our Monday gatherings. Someday.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678328&highlight=portland

Dang, that looks like fun. Hopefully with restaurant restrictions lowering that can happen again sometime soon.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

"Wet Westies"...appropriate! Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

I'm not on FB, so I don't have those "friends" in the PDX Vanagons scene, but I am a Wet Westies follower. They've had almost zero events this year due to Covid and that a lot of the members are in the more vulnerable demographic. I've enjoyed UnSuperbowl and the Fossil Bluegrass Campout they have. One day I'll make it to the ReUnion campout.

Keep Trucking PDX is a newer PDX shop run by a guy who worked at Bus Lab. I was recommended him by, "hey guys, it's John from Gowesty...", but haven't made it in there yet.

I also second Goldtooth's callout for D&M Automotive in Beaverton. Dave is a solid guy and a long time VW scene supporter in the area.

There are many others...
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

I’m not on the FaceGram, Instabutt or whatever the kool kids are into these days. But thanks for the names of things to search for and keep an eye out for. Hopefully I’ll get to meet you folks soon.

In the meantime, I need a little basic front end work, tie rods and steering rack boots, which will then require an alignment. Suggestions?
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Precision motorcar, stargazer (never been but heard good things, and they’re in my neighborhood), Halsey automotive, and Always Vee Dub are the usual suspects if you’re in the inner east side Portland proper.

For the alignment, I have no idea where to go. Matrix Integrated is where I’m going to try next. They have an alignment rack, but they’re a little high-end for my van.

Avoid Firestone on Sandy.

Welcome to Portland!
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Mikesarge wrote:
Precision motorcar, stargazer (never been but heard good things, and they’re in my neighborhood), Halsey automotive, and Always Vee Dub are the usual suspects if you’re in the inner east side Portland proper.

For the alignment, I have no idea where to go.

Ashley at Always directed me to Kalberer Frame & Alignment off of SE Foster east of I-205 when I needed the front alignment done on my Bay a couple years ago after I had everything apart for new torsions and ball joints. It wasn't terrible, but at the same time I wasn't terribly impressed by the work they did either.

I miss Line Up Shop on Sandy. Those guys knew their shit.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

For alignment, and obviously not PNW specific as I live in NC, I called around until I found a shop that said yes we can do that using your Bentley and with you being right there talking to us watching. It was a national chain and they did a GREAT job. I recommend trying this.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
For alignment, and obviously not PNW specific as I live in NC, I called around until I found a shop that said yes we can do that using your Bentley and with you being right there talking to us watching. It was a national chain and they did a GREAT job. I recommend trying this.

I live in Olympia, WA but Les Schwab does mine every tire rotation. No complaints and a great regional warranty.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

I would 2nd Les Schwab. They have always done a good job for me and the fact that they are located all over the western US if anything were to go wrong you are only a short AAA tow away.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Try Alignment World on SE 82nd. Doesnt look like much but they do a good job. They do a lot of Vanagons and should be very familiar.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Mikesarge wrote:

the only answer for alignments is Trackside off of Interstate

theyre a race prep shop but theyre happy to align just about anything, and to your specs too.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
smeeegheeead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
Mikesarge wrote:

theyre a race prep shop but theyre happy to align just about anything, and to your specs too.

Another vote for trackside. They are the best by far. Everything I work on I take there. If you make an appointment for pickup the same day there's a couple bars up around the corner to hang out at while they're doing their thing. Also a strip club.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

smeeegheeead wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:
Mikesarge wrote:

Another vote for trackside. They are the best by far. Everything I work on I take there. If you make an appointment for pickup the same day there's a couple bars up around the corner to hang out at while they're doing their thing. Also a strip club.

1- There is a strip club next to most alignment shops in Portland within walking distance Wink

2- I took my 74 bug to Kalberer Frame & Alignment off of SE Foster for an alignment. The Mexican tech (Actually from Mexico) is familiar with Old VWs put it on the rack and said nothing needed. So no charge. Awesome.

3- My buddy took his 78 bay to a Les Schwab on the East side and was really pleased with the results. I’m sure LS has seen many Vans and classic VWs over the years in Portland.

4- Great suggestions about Trackside. I’ll put that on my list.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX/SW WA New to Area . . Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
smeeegheeead wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:
Mikesarge wrote:

1- There is a strip club next to most alignment shops in Portland within walking distance Wink

2- I took my 74 bug to Kalberer Frame & Alignment off of SE Foster for an alignment. The Mexican tech (Actually from Mexico) is familiar with Old VWs put it on the rack and said nothing needed. So no charge. Awesome.

3- My buddy took his 78 bay to a Les Schwab on the East side and was really pleased with the results. I’m sure LS has seen many Vans and classic VWs over the years in Portland.

4- Great suggestions about Trackside. I’ll put that on my list.

I’ll add Trackside to my Rolodex, great tip (r.i.p. Dancin’ Bare)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: