Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

So finally acting on an idea I had a few years ago to make my survivability on the highways a bit better.
Basically taking the rear edge of the front fiberglass bumper and mounting an amber LED on it that is connected to the front turn signals.

I had a choice of a single round LED or something a bit larger to so it has more surface lighting up to catch the eye of the car in my blind spot in the lane alongside the rear quarter.

Both are equally bright, but the longer LED has more LED’s in it which is better then a single LED because it one burns out the others are still there giving warning you're moving over into the lane next to you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So the long LED mounted on the flat rear edge of the bumper.

I added a waterproof quick disconnect to attach it to the wire harness and adhesive lined heat shrink to waterproof the wiring.

All the parts need to do the job. Most gotten through Amazon.

The LED Lights. $9.50 for a pack of 10 lights-5 red and 5 amber.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GKQXOP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The waterproof connectors you find on cars younger then the Vanagon! Cheap at $5.99 for a pack of 5.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6LTK44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Long LED’s need a 6/32nd x 1/2" screw tapped into the bumper.
Home Depot stainless screws for about $3.00

A 7/64th’s Drill bit and 6-32 NC tap sold as a pair at Home Depot for maybe $5.99
The tap you can just put in the drill and screw it into the bumper and reverse it out. the fiberglass resin used in this bumper is not the hardest resin in the world.

All told less then 25 bucks for safety.

The round LED I picked up at the local FLAPs. I'll find a use for it somewhere.

I do not have the bumper back on the Syncro yet so you just have to use your imagination to visualize it. Very Happy

EDIT: here's another thread along similar lines for getting the side marker lights to blink.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644824

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

I did something similar to this on my SV650. Great idea for the van as well.

I will store it away for one of those days where I just want a simple project to tool around with.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

I really like that LED you chose, way better than the circle. Looks good!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

Perfect timing. I'm doing a mod this weekend with a couple of side lights I installed. I will start a thread on it as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

Neato. I'd love to see it in action. Thanks for sharing this tip.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

I like the idea. Do you have a picture of what it looks like once back on the van?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

erste wrote:
I really like that LED you chose, way better than the circle. Looks good!

Thanks.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Neato. I'd love to see it in action. Thanks for sharing this tip.

Yer welcome!

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
I like the idea. Do you have a picture of what it looks like once back on the van?

Sure will once it's back together.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

Didn't an Overseas Version have a front bumper with the turn signal integrated into it?

Or am I getting my Super Beetles mixed up with Vanagon?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Didn't an Overseas Version have a front bumper with the turn signal integrated into it?

Or am I getting my Super Beetles mixed up with Vanagon?

Dave

I've not seen any. The end of the bumper just looked like a natural place for a signal light as it faces aft and is at the right angle for it to aim at a car coming up alongside.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

Need a photo. Can't quite visualize what it looks like or where it goes. The rear edge of my front bumper is angled so the front door trim will miss it. Did you remove the cladding?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Need a photo. Can't quite visualize what it looks like or where it goes. The rear edge of my front bumper is angled so the front door trim will miss it. Did you remove the cladding?

I do not have the cladding on mine.
I checked the clearance with the door and the light before I removed the bumper and this light mounted on the on top of the surface was clear of the door swing.
Using the same light I can cut out the bumper to mount it from the inside for a flush surface finish, but really was too tired to do that!

I'll try to get the bumper back in place for a pic later today.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

If you have power mirrors, that little round light might fit into the removable cap at the base.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
If you have power mirrors, that little round light might fit into the removable cap at the base.

Nah, it's too big to fit in there. I tried to put a small camera in there for my surveillence/dash cam mod, but the camera and the LED are too big to fit inside the cap. The LED needs a 3/4" hole and this will not work with the curves of the cap trying to fit the rubber seal.

You could easily fit the LED I put on the bumper on the bottom of the mirror housing, but routing the wire is much, much easier when down on the bumper!

You can 3D print up another larger cap to suite, but for the camera i wanted something unnoticeable so the curb-sucking lowlife trying to break in did not see he is being recorded.
I have something in mind along the lines of the video system used on publc buses to record passengers, but mounted on to cover exterior and the ugly mug in the drivers seat.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

Okay pictures of them on the Vanagon

Passenger side:

Why could you not take this

And do this?

The Turn Signal reflector inside it is aimed forward and does not really give light out to the side, certainly does not show behind the front end. If you look at it- this side is just a reflector molded into the plastic.
It has the same flat space that is visible on the rear as the bumper does.

The wiring run would be easier for one. However, considering how soon these turn signals fade from the UV rays that (I change them out almost yearly). I would rather have the LED permanently mounted on the bumper so it’s one less thing to do having to remount it on a new lens. It also just doesn’t look that good to me.

This is the one on my Drivers side I just changed 2 wks ago and it seems to have some small provision for trying to show some of the light to the rear. If you look inside it there is channel in the reflector allowing some light to show rearward? I’ll have to look at it in the dark to see if it does.

Just showing the clearance of the door when fully opened.

These LED's would look much nicer if I took the time to cut an opening in the bumper to mount them from the inside to sit flush on the surface.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

So night time shots of the Front Turn Signal lens does show what I thought earlier.

The new one I just put on does actively show the light out through that channel I saw in the reflector
The one I put on about a while back does not have that channel and you can see the difference.

The latest Turn Signal:

I turned the exposure way down to show what my eyes were seeing-the end of the LED bulb.

The other older Turn Signal.

While you can see this at night I doubt if it's going to be as eye-catching in daylight to a driver who is not paying attention.

So i'm going to continue installing the LED lights on the end of the bumper.
It is good to see that whoever is making the Turn signal lenses is making improvements in it.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Nah, it's too big to fit in there. I tried to put a small camera in there for my surveillence/dash cam mod, but the camera and the LED are too big to fit inside the cap. The LED needs a 3/4" hole and this will not work with the curves of the cap trying to fit the rubber seal.

You could easily fit the LED I put on the bumper on the bottom of the mirror housing, but routing the wire is much, much easier when down on the bumper!

You can 3D print up another larger cap to suite, but for the camera i wanted something unnoticeable so the curb-sucking lowlife trying to break in did not see he is being recorded.
I have something in mind along the lines of the video system used on publc buses to record passengers, but mounted on to cover exterior and the ugly mug in the drivers seat.

I have what I believe is the same light, and if you remove the rubber escutcheon the light is only 16mm. By my calculations that should fit with some finesse and glue.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I have what I believe is the same light, and if you remove the rubber escutcheon the light is only 16mm. By my calculations that should fit with some finesse and glue.

You are right. You can fit the round LED into the mirror cap. I was wrong...I'm just devastated! Embarassed

Remote Mirror Led placement

Inside of cap

Side view of cap

The rubber grommet would fit the curve of the cap.

Off to the side of the cap to point it to the rear a bit more.

The size of the LED housing in relation to cap size.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Turn Signal Mod. $25.00 for safety Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos and the mirror mod suggestion.

This is what I thought the designers had in mind with the raised housing so I was confused when you said a reflector prohibited the amber light from shining to the rear.

Is the new housing with the reflector stamped DOT?

This reminds me that I also want to do the simple ground wire mod to include the rear side marker in the turn signal loop.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: